The Piazza on West Pine

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
I don't mind the look of these as they are way better than the Aventura and stuff I see in the suburbs and Illinois west of Fairview and Belleville. Hugging the street makes a big difference. The target renters for these are likely temporary students and early job seekers. I think it fits the mold/desires of the people that are going to be living here. Now, the real improvement will be when people want to settle down and live in this part of the city making it more of a neighborhood than the edge of a college campus. We need home owners and businesses to root down and give it a solid, permanent feel.

I agree 100% with the comments about sidewalk and tree investment. Bike lanes, clearly marked parking, bump outs, etc. It'll be good to see more people walking around this part of town.
This project and a few others in the vicinity (Standard, Aventura, Home2Suites, etc...) remind me that the West Pine Lofts really did a nice job in terms of aesthetic, materials, etc... It's not perfect but it definitely shows the difference a little thought and design proficiency can make.
^ I agree West Pine Lofts seems to be the best of the recent crop of new apartment construction. We need to get some design review in at least these hot areas like CWE moving forward.

southcitygent wrote:
I agree that this building is the pits but I like the density it brings to the area. Also this section of West Pines from Sarah to SLU could use an updated streetscape. New sidewalks, lighting, trees and road paving would go along way.

Well said on the streetscaping.
This building definitely has that "design by committee" look about it, but it's WAY better than The Standard.
^^ & ^^^ west pine lofts looks decent from a distance, but the windows look terrible up close. they're really cheap looking. last time i walked by there were screens laying on the ground and hanging halfway out of the frames. it's gonna be tough to keep this one looking good into the future.
Looks like this place is just about ready for move-ins.
Looks like ugly phase II is coming...

http://www.parkcentraldevelopment.org/w ... t-Pine.pdf
debaliviere wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

looks like cheap sh*t.

AND WHAT IS WITH ALL THE F*CKING TAN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Most of St. Louis' construction is a shade of brown!
I AGREE YECH!!
Amazing how much this block of West Pine has changed in the last couple of years.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:51 pm
debaliviere wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:40 pm

looks like cheap sh*t.

AND WHAT IS WITH ALL THE F*CKING TAN!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Yet it still looks better than the recently completed phase I. That's not saying much.

For those that lament Phase II and beyond of projects never happen, here's one breaking the mold. For better or worse.
^Fair point. To some extent an unexpected (and non-over-hyped, over-promised and under-delivered) phase II is a welcome change from the trend. Also, it must mean that leasing and pricing for phase I have met or exceeded expectations - which also bodes well for the surrounding projects.

I know not everyone agrees, but for generally using the same crappy materials, I thought West Pine Lofts turned out alright. I think it used real brick (I might be wrong there), but even the cast stone, sheet metal, and hardie board portion just seemed to use a better color pallet and distribution/balance. This, while a bit better than it's predecessor, seems to have that same arbitrary massing of varied earth tones and materials.
Demo is underway.
Wow. Moving fast.
Foundation work is underway.
Walls are going up.
Care of Wash U Medical Center Redevelopment Corp.
^West Pine sure has changed in the last couple of years.
Working on the fifth floor.
We'll see how the cladding materials turn out (not getting my hopes too high), but at least the shape and proportions are much more simple and sensible than its older sibling across the street.
From WUMCRC Facebook page:

The cream colored brick on the Jesuit Research Center looks 1000x better than any of the colors/materials on Piazza 2.0.

Too bad. Seems like it wouldn’t need to be changed that much, mostly better color selection and more sensical layout of materials and textures, to have it look a whole lot better.