Kingshighway @ Lindell (Koplar, Koman & KPF)

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post185 posts
Any news regarding development here? There is no way these parcels are more valuable and profitable as parking lots than as high rise apartments. Based on the height of surrounding buildings a developer should be able to get 20-30 stories without upsetting NIMBYS.

Do you think potential developers are awaiting the BJC expansion, STLCOP expansion, Cortex Growth, City Walk, and OPUS to prove successful before projects are proposed here?

Also, if anyone knows where pictures of these lots before the buildings were torn down that would be very cool. Thanks.
What a loss...

I'd love to see the lots replaced by a revised Renaissance on Euclid proposal. "Renaissance on Kingshighway" maybe? Whatever, I don't care about the name. A 30 story building would suit well here, though.
^ Where was the Renaissance on Euclid proposal? Any renderings?
That was the ~30 story proposal from Mills @ Euclid and Pine before the recession. The much taller previous version of Citywalk.
There were some towers proposed in 1986 for Kingshighway:

http://www.emporis.com/building/100-nor ... uis-mo-usa

http://www.emporis.com/building/100-nor ... uis-mo-usa

Here's an interesting list of skyscrapers that were never built:

http://www.emporis.com/city/st-louis-mo ... -buildings
[color=#000000]Thanks for the pics and links! Its a shame we lost the Hotel, but I'm glad there is still the potential to do something great, and not a parking garage.[/color]
siu850956106 wrote:
Thanks for the pics and links! Its a shame we lost the Hotel, but I'm glad there is still the potential to do something great, and not a parking garage.

There's been potential for 30+ years.

I still remember as a young kid my dad taking me to lunch at Culpeppers and even then being baffled by the empty lots as we drove by.
moorlander wrote:
That was the ~30 story proposal from Mills @ Euclid and Pine before the recession. The much taller previous version of Citywalk.

thanks. Actually I went by today and a crane is up as well as a subsurface borer or something else tall; Pine is closed.... great to see this actually happening now. Even though its not a tower (and I don't think everyone was sold on the Renaissance design looking at a past thread here), it will be a nice addition to the neighborhood.
I definitely want to see some 30+ story towers going up along Kingshighway. If we got a tower the size of Montgomery Tower with a few offices (probably medical) and a bunch of apartments of different sizes, it would be the greatest address in St. Louis.
^ Yeah, if the eventual proposal for the Kingshighway properties across from the Chase come in below 30 stories, it should be stamped "Return to Sender".
No kidding. If I were looking to put up a 500 foot tower in St. Louis, that's where I would pick. Either that or directly next to CWE station. Definitely somewhere close to MetroLink and streetcar for sure. Can't put it in the middle of nowhere so the only people who can work or live there are people with cars. If I wanted to do that, I would put it in Chesterfield -.-
They're teasing again:

nextSTL.com ‏@nextSTL
New development proposals seem to pop up every week in STL City. Then there are ones you presumed were dead...
quincunx wrote:
They're teasing again:

nextSTL.com ‏@nextSTL
New development proposals seem to pop up every week in STL City. Then there are ones you presumed were dead...

Alex Ihnen tells me on Twitter that this is NOT the story Geoff from NextSTL had either. So it's yet ANOTHER development. Love it.

Alex Ihnen @alexihnen
Nope. Different one. It is truly getting hard to keep track.
Hope one of them is a Bottle District tower but doubt that it is.

More realistically, it could be the 30 story tower proposed at Grand and Olive. Or it may be 22 story SkyHouse. Maybe the 20 story building at Forsyth station? 17 story Brown Shoe tower? Perhaps just more info about the Drury at Kingshighway 16 story tower(s)?

I still remember as a young kid my dad taking me to lunch at Culpeppers and even then being baffled by the empty lots as we drove by.

So does the surface parking lot qualify for historic tax credits yet? 30 years old and probably one of the most architecturally significant surface lots in the region...
STLEnginerd wrote:

So does the surface parking lot qualify for historic tax credits yet? 30 years old and probably one of the most architecturally significant surface lots in the region...

Good one.
somebody somewhere said that Kindred has a contract on the lot at Lindell and Euclid for a number of years yet. (i know that's a lot uncertainty so if anybody can clarify please do.) i presume the contract can be nullified if enough money is thrown at them.
urban_dilettante wrote:
somebody somewhere said that Kindred has a contract on the lot at Lindell and Euclid for a number of years yet. (i know that's a lot uncertainty so if anybody can clarify please do.) i presume the contract can be nullified if enough money is thrown at them.

It's just sad when the weather is nice on a weekend evening and that lot is almost completely empty. Someone could make a little money selling parking spaces at peak times.

(Same thing when there's a big charity event at the Chase.)
Gateway City wrote:
Hope one of them is a Bottle District tower but doubt that it is.

More realistically, it could be the 30 story tower proposed at Grand and Olive. Or it may be 22 story SkyHouse. Maybe the 20 story building at Forsyth station? 17 story Brown Shoe tower? Perhaps just more info about the Drury at Kingshighway 16 story tower(s)?

Sounds like it won't be Drury. I hope it's Skyhouse.

http://nextstl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=455&sid=ceac0800122af70c6fdf802659e94a3d
Skyhouse would be great. Help fill in the gap of high-rises between DT and MT plus it's right by the streetcar route. Also, that western edge of DT could use some life.
SkyHouse and the Bottle District towers are long dead. It's not gonna be those proposals.
Skyhouse property switched hands last year. I don't know who bought it, but surely they must have a plan, especially since it's right by the streetcar route.

Bottle District, according to the president of Clayco in an interview last year, is still fizzling. Paul McKee bought the land and they claim they are working together on something.
^ BPV tower makes the most sense to me as downtown is the one area you haven't seen new construction proposed after the crash due to the cheap building stock available/economical rehabs. Cordish already got a residential tower in the works in KC and DeWitt has the financial resources to carry it over the hump not to mention a site ready to build on. So why not go big? At same time, DeWitt has the one location that can capitalize on leases or sales from outside the metro area and successfully got Ballpark Live up and running to market to those out of towners.

I would say Drury is going to develop Lacledes Landing but my impression is that it will take time and your going to see them most likely build out the Kings highway location beforehand with a mid rise hotel when CORTEX announces another win. Like it has been noted, Skyhouse has been dead a long time ago and Bottleworks is nothing more than land banking by two wealthy developers at the moment.

CORTEX will see a hotel in one of its phases, just don't see it as a high rise tower. I think Clayton CBD and CWE has its legitimate proposals that will be going forward but the market isn't going to bear much more without another big jobs announcement/expansion. Already the Crossings is ahead of that game in Clayton with a footprint that allows for additional residential or office towers or and/or combination hotel/residential. Montgomery simply has money to bring so why not capitalize on the income.

The one question is that I'm not clear on. Was Geoff @ Nextstl intending to post on Montgomery's tower and simply got beat on the scoop or is this a new, legitimate proposal? Geoff has gone silent and everybody is splitting hairs on words from a one paragraph reply that talked about three different things if not mistaken.