Everly On The Loop: 14-story Student Apartments

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
First unread post221 posts
Can't wait to see The One Hundred from Art Hill.
framer wrote:Can't wait to see The One Hundred from Art Hill.
The view from the Central Fields will be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STL Mag - Opposition to Delmar Loop development befuddles out-of-town managers
Local Washington University students and alumni have been trolling the Facebook page of a new high-rise, the Everly on the Loop, claiming it gentrifies the area and misuses tax abatements. The property managers have been flounderin
https://www.stlmag.com/news/everly-on-t ... -managers/
These kids go to one of the most elite, expensive universities in the country, and they're complaining about gentrification? Not to mention the fact that they benefit from their school's tax-free status.
^ they just care about St. Louis so much that most of them will probably leave after graduation.
Gentrification is such a complex issue - not just in St. Louis - but nationally.

St. Louis needs gentrification. For far too long, St. Louis City had been the donut hole of a big donut.

But I won't attack the students because I think St. Louis needs them and their opinions.

They should be heard. They will help to make St. Louis a stronger city and region, in my opinion.

I personally think they make some valid points.

I don't see the students as NIMBYs like the pesty Claytonians who are selfishly trying to restrict economic growth and development in an urban setting.

The students, I think, are simply suggesting that despite new development in The Loop and throughout the city, don't write off (or forget) the little guy.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:39 am
^ they just care about St. Louis so much that most of them will probably leave after graduation.
That's how it works, and that's not a bad thing. Most kids go out of town/out of state to a new city for college these days.
Any thoughts that Clayco might pull another rabbit out of the hat nearby? The Everly happened quicker than anything else in recent development if not mistaken. My thoughts is teaming with Wash U for their phase II loop housing and or maybe a mixed use proposal near Forest Parkway metrolink station incorporating the metro lot & nearby strip mall

Understand that they are involved in one of the proposals for old hospital further down the loop.
Randy wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 am
urban_dilettante wrote:
That's how it works, and that's not a bad thing. Most kids go out of town/out of state to a new city for college these days.
it actually is a bad thing when the majority of our college graduates leave. that's the whole brain drain thing. i'm not talking about kids coming in from out of town for school. i'm talking about them hanging around after they graduate. maybe to help fix the problems they're complaining about.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:38 pm
Randy wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 am
urban_dilettante wrote:
it actually is a bad thing when the majority of our college graduates leave. that's the whole brain drain thing. i'm not talking about kids coming in from out of town for school. i'm talking about them hanging around after they graduate. maybe to help fix the problems they're complaining about.
Yes, I also thought that Wash U kids complaining about gentrification is dripping with irony. How many of these kids will leave little ole' St. Louis and move to DC, San Francisco, Boston, or New York and think nothing about how they are raising the rents in those respective cities? Gentrification is really not a problem in St. Louis, the city has so much room for growth. St. Louis could literally double its population and still have affordable neighborhoods.
I will start listening to complaints about rising rents in the region once there is actual evidence of rising rents in the region. As of now, you would be hard pressed to find a city more affordable to live in than St. Louis.
STUDENT HOUSING: Has the market been overbuilt here (Binghamton, NY) ?
http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news ... /97292370/
^ adblocker, cant read. any way you would transpose it here?
^The article is about development in Binghamton, NY. No mention or apparent relation to St. Louis.
I go to school at Mizzou and the same thing is happening here. Columbia has been adding new downtown student apartments at a very fast rate. Even with lower enrollment, there are three MASSIVE apartments being built in walking distance to campus. I'm not entirely sure where they expect all of these tenants to come from, especially considering how ritzy and expensive these new rooms all are.

The problems faced by the downtown apartments will be nothing compared to the older off campus housing (where the only way to get to campus is by bus or car). These developments like The Reserve, The Arch, The Domain are already struggling because they are built terribly and ugly, and now that all the students are moving downtown it's a double whammy.

The plus side is that downtown is as vibrant as it's ever been. That first nice day we had in February it was almost hard to walk down 9th street because it was so crowded. Hope you enjoyed my semi related rambling
That's been the cycle in Columbia for a long time now. Each new wave of development draws people out of the last one, which then slowly trickles down through a series of slumlords until either the city or the university buy them out just before the building falls down. They're usually cheaply built junk, and most of the stuff downtown now is no exception. Twenty five years ago Tara and Whitegate were the sexy new apartment buildings. (And I very much suspect both of those are better built than most of the new wave.) I don't doubt that twenty five years in the future Walnut and Hitt will be moving slumward again. The ball just bounces back and forth. Buddanyway . . . off topic. The Everly, by contrast, is fairly impressive. (As are a few of the new CoMO buildings.)
Maybe Columbia is just somewhat urbanizing or maximizing urban space. More startups are happening near universities especially flagships. I know Columbia is still growing in young population, maybe they are geared towards recent grads as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, it surely is. It's also sprawling out quite quickly. It's growing. And with that comes change. But the bouncing ball of cheap apartments . . . that's a special and different problem. The apartments are getting bigger. There are more of them. But there really is a sort of landlord shuffle. (Which has maybe accelerated somewhat of late.)
I graduated from Mizzou back in 2014, but even then that trend was in full swing. A good amount of my friends started moving into the new Brookside developments and others. Additionally, every year a portion of graduates definitely end up staying/living in como after school. My sister got her degree in nursing from mizzou and works for a hospital there now. I dont see the trend slowing down especially if enrollment bounces back up to normal levels.

I hope nationally, or at least locally, the trend persists because i want to see Wash U continue to develop that area, especially the old churchs chicken location.
The Everly is catching more flack. Wish the tax-abated parking garage would get some.

RFT - Meet the Everly: $1,475/Month Studios, and a $12.8 Million Tax Break from City Hall
On most days the large fourteen-story construction site just east of Skinker on Delmar is bustling. Workers with “Clayco” printed across their safety gear install new windows. Brick is quickly scaling the facade. But you won’t hear cautionary construction beeping coming from the brightly colored leasing office just down the street – or find construction dust inside. There, the Everly’s marketing campaign is in high gear.
http://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog ... -city-hall
Anyone else seeing ads for the Everly on here?
Any word on retail tenants?

Courtesy of Pasa47 via Flickr