5510 Pershing - Residential Infill

Renovations and new construction in the Central Corridor -- defined by the area south of Delmar Avenue and North of Interstate 44/55.
The street trees in the neighborhood are definitely great. 20-year tax abatements are something that shouldn't exist and especially not for a development like this one.
I went by this on the metro today. It looks like some sort of walls are going up on the back side. Maybe an elevator shaft, they were concrete squares.
^Looks like they're using tilt-up modular concrete construction similar to what was used for the garage and inner core of The Standard on Vandeventer.
^ and the new STL College of Pharmacy mixed-use building at Taylor and FPA, which looks pretty damn good IMO (complaints about siting aside). i'm guessing the STL CoP was willing to throw a little more money at it, though, than the developers of 5510 Pershing. We'll see.
The massive, pre-cast garage components look exactly like the ones they're using on the new Fox garage. Hell, you can probably just order them on Amazon.
Still working on the first couple of floors, but walking by on Pershing you can really get a sense of how massive this thing is gonna be.

Look who learned how to post pics!
moorlander wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:54 pm
Look who learned how to post pics!
8)
Just noticed the little driveway. Is that happening? I find those annoying as a pedestrian.
Would love to see a couple more tall buildings take the place of some of the lots and older buildings down there that either can't be saved or have no architectural value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^ which ones have no architectural value? also, how many lots are there? this building is occupying 1 of only 2 significant ones that I can think of. and there's another building slated for the other one (which is currently being used to stage this building I think).
Well, there's always the dog-par . . . I mean sculpture garden. The one that had a nice solid occupied two story commercial block (including what was at the time the oldest bar in town: Bullfeathers) ere Biondi struck. The one at the corner of Grand and Lindell right in the middle of the "Renaissance."

I was thinking of the two lots on the either side of 5560 pershing, lot at 5399 pershing, lot at 5333 pershing, and the massive lot just south of the "transit access center" which is the small strip mall with a cecil whittakers and a subway. I didnt have any apartment building specifically in mind when I wrote that just thought there might be a few that could be below the standard of saving. I could definitely do away with the strip mall and lots facing deballiviere, and itd be great to see those apartment buildings along pershing develop the parking lots behind them that face the metrolink rails (maybe build garages behind them with apartments above).
quincunx wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 pm
Just noticed the little driveway. Is that happening? I find those annoying as a pedestrian.
A few other buildings on Pershing have them, so it wouldn't surprise me if a driveway was approved for this project.
They do and they're annoying. I walk on the north side of Pershing because of them. And now there's no cross walk at DeBaliviere. Then there's the curb cuts on the corners at Belt and Clara instead of in line with the sidewalks. 3 of the 4 aren't met with a curb cut across Pershing. This isn't that hard people! Frustrating.
user28 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:31 am
I was thinking of the two lots on the either side of 5560 pershing, lot at 5399 pershing, lot at 5333 pershing, and the massive lot just south of the "transit access center" which is the small strip mall with a cecil whittakers and a subway. I didnt have any apartment building specifically in mind when I wrote that just thought there might be a few that could be below the standard of saving. I could definitely do away with the strip mall and lots facing deballiviere, and itd be great to see those apartment buildings along pershing develop the parking lots behind them that face the metrolink rails (maybe build garages behind them with apartments above).
gotcha. yeah those smaller lots could def use some lower-rise infill. given the density in that neighborhood, though, a parking structure might be needed if all the lots are eliminated (which is fine by be). as for the Pershing-DeBaliviere intersection, I thought there were drawings floating around a few years back (maybe in association with the Loop Trolley) showing new TOD developments around the Metro station and in place of those strip malls. that would be ideal.
^ Thought that Baron McCormick with Metro was behind the TOD drawing/renderings for a TOD replacement to the strip mall that would have incorporated Metro's small parking lot. Could very much be mistaken but seems like the ideal path and progress for the immediate area. This is on top of the TOD plans I think that were developed. Goat and Alex could probably clarify a lot better then I can.

Extending loop trolley east on Delmar and south into CWE seems like another ideal direction for the immediate area to take
The TOD for Delmar and FP stations had nice aspirations for those sites

https://nextstl.com/2013/09/skinky-d-tod/

CMT brought in a consultant from Boston to run numbers on possibilities for the Metro lot and the turn around across the street in 2014. The numbers didn't quite work then.

I've heard that a strip mall redevel idea got spiked due to concerns over low income component some years ago.
^ Thanks,
A crane erection is underway!
quincunx wrote:A crane erection is underway!
I thought this thing was nearing completion? Maybe that was just the garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The garage went up quickly (tilt-up precast concrete). Now they need to add the upper floors, which I'm guessing will be wood-frame pre-fabricated components.
But will it make money?
^ why would you post that in this thread?