Mid-Century Library Building to be Replaced

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within the City of Clayton, the center of St. Louis County government.
Damn! Clayton is losing another great piece of Mid Century architecture:

https://nextstl.com/2017/05/first-look- ... ry-branch/
I've spent a lot of time in this library. I really do not understand why millions need to be spent to replace it.
Because no building that is almost forty years old could possibly be functional anymore.

The Library, of course, will say that taxpayers decided to replace it and they're just following orders.
Alex Ihnen wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 am
I've spent a lot of time in this library. I really do not understand why millions need to be spent to replace it.
My last couple of visits, been a good year, but none the less came back with a different impression of the library had a fair number of people utilizing its resources, in need of more space and tech upgrades for how much was going. I really don't think replacing it is a bad option going forward for another 3 to 4 decades as Clayton CBD gets denser, more employees and more residents.
I think the disappointment is going backwards in a public institution that should have an iconic footprint for its surroundings. I think the current library did that when it was built while meeting the needs of the time. The replacement does not.. .
After some thought I am awestruck by how Uncreative the people developing this plan must be. This is freaking Clayton. If they put some thought into it they could actually reduce the cost and still get a new building. After one day of thought here was what I came up with.

Acceptable options.

-Renovate the current library.
-Replace the library with something equally attractive with a 50% or more increase in space.
-Replace library with a 4story+ mixed use building with a library on its ground floor.
-Replace library with a 4story+ parking garage, with a library on the ground floor while simultaneously issuing a RFP mixed use redevelopment for the parking lot on the adjacent corner.
-Relocate the library to a less prominent spot in mid county (like behind dierbergs) and build the disposable crap box currently planned, issue an RFP for the current site for a mixed use redevelopment.

Personally I favor renovation but if you must build new at least mix it up with some additional development in one of the premier urban centers in our region and amoung our peers cities. Hopefully the archtechtural review board agrees that the current proposal is beyond unacceptable.
Drove by it the other day. I was not expecting it to be ripped up like this.

Such a damn shame, and so short-sighted.

Reminds me of the hatchet-job US Bank did to the classic Mid-Century bank building on the northeast corner of Hanley and Forsyth. Beleive it or not, this used to be a very classy looking building (sorry, I can't find any "before" photos:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U.S.+ ... 90.3335061
Is this lot across the corner from Ceylon? I drove past this weekend and it there is significant excavation at that lot. Looks like it could be for a tower but certainly could just also be underground parking going in.
newstl2020 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 am
Is this lot across the corner from Ceylon? I drove past this weekend and it there is significant excavation at that lot. Looks like it could be for a tower but certainly could just also be underground parking going in.
Yes, that is the lot.