Forsyth Pointe

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within the City of Clayton, the center of St. Louis County government.
A great addition to Downtown Clayton. Coming soon. ImageImage
nextSTL - Nine-Story, $16M Mixed-Used Project Announced on Forsyth in Clayton

https://nextstl.com/2017/02/nine-story- ... h-clayton/
The design of this is very interesting for the lower floors but I like the upper floors.
I appreciate the effort to do something contemporary, but the base just doesn't work. Hopefully they'll tweak the design and come up with something better.
I'm perfectly okay with the base. I'm less okay with "Pointe". You'd think something with such a modern design wouldn't have such a suburban strip mall name...

Seriously though, while it's not as out there as something like the 100 tower, this is a continuation of the slow evolution towards more adventurous modern architectural design in Clayton. Even if it's not perfect, I'm all for architects taking chances to do something unique and creative.

-RBB
I dig the design.

Here's what would be demo'd

I quite like the base, and I almost hate to say this, but I'm actually going to miss those little colonials a bit. There used to be so many faux-lonial sorts of buildings in Clayton that I thought of it as one of the defining characteristics of the area. In sincerity, though, I do hope someone saves the deco facade at 8015. I actually drove by all of that just last night shooting a goofball little test project.

All that said, that'll be a heck of a nice addition.
You guys realize that the base is a screen for a parking garage, right? Those never turn out well.

framer wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm
You guys realize that the base is a screen for a parking garage, right?
symphonicpoet wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm
In sincerity, though, I do hope someone saves the deco facade at 8015.
Where do you think we are? Washington DC? We don't preserve facades here in the STL. :wink:
Well, maybe not since Cassily died. Why all the cynicism? I live in hope. But I know it's only hope. ;-)
This is probably dead/stalled.

UPDATE: Its not. Contacted the city. Stated it is alive and well.
chriss752 wrote:This is most likely dead.
Where did you hear this? I️ know people involved in the project. Very much alive, unless something has changed in the last 5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chalupas54 wrote:
Where did you hear this? I️ know people involved in the project. Very much alive, unless something has changed in the last 5 days.

Just haven’t heard anything on it in a while. Just my own speculation. Glad to hear it is still alive.
chriss752 wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:

Just haven’t heard anything on it in a while. Just my own speculation. Glad to hear it is still alive.
just a reminder that just because you don’t hear about something in a while doesn’t necessarily mean it’s dead. Sometimes things go back to the drawing board, or they continue to tweak things.

The reason I️ say this is I️ know for fact that reporters from various St Louis news outlets browse this forum. If it spread that a project was dead, it would obviously deter possible tenants/investors—that could *actually* kill a project.

Yeah, it's a little reckless to claim things are dead without having sources or facts to back it up.

I'd also toss it out there that it's equally reckless to post random renderings without any background information or explanation... especially when it's easily verifiable that said renderings are conceptual only.

I know I'm probably coming off a little strong in this post, but I think it's necessary to distinguish between tossing things against the wall to drive clicks / stir excitement and another to actually post substantial information that is beneficial to all. I get the sense that right now it's a bit more of the "hear a rumor / find a cool image and post without any further research" side of things. Of course, the majority of this site is filled with people who are just posting second hand information or relaying rumors... but I would like to believe that the majority are doing so based upon sources which are trusted and not just throwing anything and everything out there.

Side note: I'm sure if you were to view every single one of my posts I would be guilty of this same critique. I'm just trying to pass on information and recommendations that I wish I would have adhered to years ago... it's exciting to be the person who can break a story. But it's equally important to make sure you're reporting it accurately.
chriss752 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 am
I see you've posted on Twitter (in a joint post for the adjacent highrise) that this is ready to move forward. Can you site this? Or are you taking Chalupas54's response that it isn't dead as confirmation that it's moving forward? I'm sorry if I'm coming across like an @$$ but I just don't think it's good to say something is "moving forward" unless you have an actual update.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:26 pm
chriss752 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:30 am
I see you've posted on Twitter (in a joint post for the adjacent highrise) that this is ready to move forward. Can you site this? Or are you taking Chalupas54's response that it isn't dead as confirmation that it's moving forward? I'm sorry if I'm coming across like an @$$ but I just don't think it's good to say something is "moving forward" unless you have an actual update.
I sent a message to the City of Clayton and got a response back. The individual talked about it but made it seem like a "secret". Wouldn't give me much more information stating than revisions were made that make it work better with its soon to be neighbor. Besides that, nothing more. No start date like I asked for. So I assume it is moving forward.
^ yeah, be careful how you word things. revisions being made to a design does not mean that it will necessarily get built. i think most people will interpret "moving forward" as "ready to break ground". perhaps saying "not dead" or "in revision" would be better.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm
^ yeah, be careful how you word things. revisions being made to a design does not mean that it will necessarily get built. i think most people will interpret "moving forward" as "ready to break ground". perhaps saying "not dead" or "in revision" would be better.
Now I know. I learned my lesson.
chriss752 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:52 pm
urban_dilettante wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm
Now I know. I learned my lesson.
I appreciate your efforts in chasing this stuff down, just remember that;

- development moves slow in a slow growth city like St, Louis - it can take years on projects with complex financing or tenant requirements

- on your website people will start taking you for your word, so make sure your word is true, speculation can get you into trouble

- some developers and developments will not want you to know much about them till they think it is time - there could be nondisclosure agreements and proprietary legal issues, if word gets out to early it could hurt the projects chances of happening

- Get all of the names and facts right before you publish, get someones company name wrong or misstating the size or scope of a project could jeopardize it or fire up NIMBY's (you had HBD labeled on a rendering earlier when it should have HDA)

but keep the info coming, you have a talent for finding renderings
^ I am making a pledge to take my time on stories now. Whether they are Large and grand enough for NextSTL, or small for my own, I will look into it more. I don’t want to keep having these screw ups. On Forsyth Pointe, I am doing more research and reaching out to people now to get to the bottom line on the project. I want to see it happen because it looks really cool with the glass and different angles. But I don’t want to keep writing information with little to no research. I’ll keep digging till I find the treasure of all the information (whenever that is).
This is coming back. The design has been refined but the office floors have moved further East so it doesn't interfere with Flaherty and Collins' Shaw Park Apartments. Height has grown from 9 floors to 12 floors and square footage has nearly doubled from 60,000SF to 115,000SF. I expect the Architectural Review Board to review the revisions soon. These renderings were not on the City's website FYI.

https://www.cityscene-stl.com/news/fors ... ows-larger

The change is surprisingly subtle, but I think I really like it. That should add quite a bit more mass to the project.
Having not learned any lessons from Downtown St. Louis, the garagification of Downtown Clayton continues.