The Beacon Proposed for Wydown at Hanley

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within the City of Clayton, the center of St. Louis County government.
The Beacon, $24M Mixed-Use Project Proposed for Wydown-Hanley

https://nextstl.com/2016/10/beacon-24m- ... wn-hanley/
I like it. Fits the Moorlands quite well, IMO. Of course, the neighbors are gonna hate the density.
I think the wydown businesses might like the public parking access (closer to them) and accessed from Wydown.

I do like the design though. The density seems appropriate and consistent with what is there already.
I have questions about the "colonnade"

^ getting the sidewalk away from Hanley would be a massive improvement, though mostly this was done (probably) in order to expand the building's footprint.
^Walking Hanley in that area is not pleasant. The cars are moving too fast, the sidewalk is narrow, and there is no buffer. Because of this we drive to dt clayton more than I'd like to admit.
I like the design a lot. That is a significant amount of parking being added, and all underground also. Huge win for the area.

I would imagine these rents would be fairly high.
The Clayton NIMBYs and BANANAs will kill it. I'd bet good money this never gets built.
dweebe wrote:
The Clayton NIMBYs and BANANAs will kill it. I'd bet good money this never gets built.

You may be right but there are 5 buildings directly to the south that are much larger than this one. Why do you think Nimby's will kill it?
^Does does seem like a nice, reasonable transition from the high rises closer to Clayton Rd. to the walk-ups in the Moorlands and further north.
This has been added to Cranetrackerstl.com
I've always wondered how on earth those high-rises to the south were ever built. Did the neighbors object and Clayton approved them anyway, or were people more open to new development back then?
Good question. I wonder what would be said now about a high rise proposal at Bemis & Hanley: where will they park?! And think of the additional traffic?!

On a happier note, it's nice that thanks to the Polo Drive cut-thru this project is within .5 miles/10 minute walk of the Clayton Metrolink station.
All of those highrises on Hanley except one face three story apartments. I can almost guarantee the residents in the houses across the street in Polo will object that it's too tall. I love the design of this building though. A nod back to a very cool Art Deco period of architecture. I love modern infill too, but this is cool.
I wonder why they are opting for new construction vs. rehab of the large building on Forest Ave.
I think it has to do with the parking planning. It appears there will be a driveway/curb-cut heading up into the garage for the complex from Forest Ave. Getting rid of the current building and starting over would enable them to accommodate the new entrance/exit.
Hanley needs a pedestrian overhaul/plan so hard.
Looks like nextstl pulled their article on this project. I wonder why.

^I agree Warwick. I like that the developer has the pedestrian in mind with the colonnade/porticos. But it's not really a holistic solution to the bigger problem.
wabash wrote:
Looks like nextstl pulled their article on this project. I wonder why.

^I agree Warwick. I like that the developer has the pedestrian in mind with the colonnade/porticos. But it's not really a holistic solution to the bigger problem.

link above still works. It's encouraging that so many people agree that Hanley is an absolutely awful pedestrian experience.
The neighbors are mobilizing

Neighbors:

You may have heard that the City of Clayton is evaluating whether or not to sell the parking lot at Hanley/Wydown for a new high-density apartment complex called "The Beacon." We are not opposed to development, but we feel the current design has some major flaws. To learn more and voice your concerns, please see the actions below.

How to get involved:
1. Sign our petition asking the Board of Aldermen to address these concerns about “The Beacon” at http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/beaconissues
2. Visit our website at http://lilywchou.wixsite.com/beaconissues
3. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/beaconissues
4. To get more heavily involved, please email us at [email protected]

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/beaconissues
What are your thoughts, moorlander? I definitely value your opinion on the matter!
^ Curious also, My simple thought is this proposal definitely in the neighborhood and out of the Clayton CBD so some strong input should be had from the immediate area. At same time, strong precedent already set for multi unit density development along Hanley even though the city might have failed to take advantage of great streets initiative to build a walkable, bikeable corridor to a growing business district.
The parking, the parking! It looks like a net increase of public parking spaces of about 20.

Parking: Parking plans are inadequate in both the short and long term. Desirable businesses like I Fratellini and Bar Les Freres have concerns about the impact to their business and ultimately may be forced to relocate.

Shame there aren't more N-S connections across FPP to help relieve Hanley. The hierarchical street network is too easily overwhelmed.

Additionally, we believe there is no pressing need for the City to divest a highly utilized asset (the parking lot) when there is the potential for a major oversupply of apartments/residential development in Clayton. Currently, more than 1,200 units are under construction or in advanced stages of planning in Clayton alone (>10% increase in total residential units in Clayton). Overall, we see the potential for the proposed Beacon to significantly detract from our neighborhood with little to no upside for the City or its residents.

One less tax-exempt lot that the city has to maintain. More residents to patronize neighborhood businesses. More people who could go to work in Clayton without driving. It looks like a big increase because Clayton is such a tiny part of the region.
To the concern of too many apts coming too fast, Des Moines will have 3200 more within the next year.
This looks like it is dead.

"Muskopf said the city received two responses for the Hanley and Wydown site, though Clayton officials have decided not to pursue either one."

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... ns-at.html
Ugh. Can we get that building in the CWE or Downtown West instead then?