212 South Meramec (formerly The Crossing)

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within the City of Clayton, the center of St. Louis County government.
First unread post351 posts
Two-twelve's promo literature brags about...U City:

"With the headline "Right in the Desirable Clayton Neighborhood," a nine-photo collage clearly shows six University City locations: Blueberry Hill; Fitz's; the Delmar Loop sign; and three street scenes along Delmar."

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/colu ... c75af.html
^stupid. How is that even news print worthy?
^It's not. It was in Joe Holleman's column, which I think tries to be an entertainment and gossip column.

Snicker-worth, anyway.
The concrete to glass ratio is just not appealing to me. Had high hopes for this one, but in my opinion it's kind of a dud design wise.
It looks good. I think it will age very well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually like it more than I expected. It's clean and bright, like something you'd see in Florida or California. Hey, at least they didn't cover it in red brick.
It definitely makes an impression on the Clayton skyline. I'm cool with it. Downtown Clayton has so many boxes, UPS is jealous!
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:11 pm
The concrete to glass ratio is just not appealing to me. Had high hopes for this one, but in my opinion it's kind of a dud design wise.
Have to agree. To me it has far too much of an Eastern Bloc vibe. Maybe it'll grow on me.
As someone who drives, by it every day I think it is kind of blah. I don't dislike it but I also don't really like it. It is kind of just there. I wish there had been more glass, color, texture, shape, or something. I just feel like it is unfinished with the concrete look. Oh well.
i'm in the "like" camp. i think it's a clean, attractive--if not novel--design. my only complaint is the lack of color. it could use a little "pop".

ImageImage
Looks better from a distance, IMO. Does fill up the skyline nicely, though.

"Two Twelve Clayton Apartments has a Walk Score of 90 out of 100. This location is a Walker’s Paradise so daily errands do not require a car."

https://www.walkscore.com/score/212-cla ... _149923935
If their website is accurate there are 43 units currently available in 212 South Meramec (which apparently is now being marketed - or perhaps always was? - as Two Twelve Clayton). That seems pretty good to me - 43 remaining units from a total of 250 after just a couple months of move ins.
wabash wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:05 pm
If their website is accurate there are 43 units currently available in 212 South Meramec (which apparently is now being marketed - or perhaps always was? - as Two Twelve Clayton). That seems pretty good to me - 43 remaining units from a total of 250 after just a couple months of move ins.
Clayton is red hot and the city knows it. Since any developer will have a hard time building density in existing residential neighborhoods, Clayton is actively pushing for hi-rise TOD development in the downtown area. Centene's growth will also continue to make living in Downtown Clayton more desirable. I expect to see at least a few more Crossing buildings in the near future, before Clayton cools off. Definitely some major skyline altering.
^Hopefully the strong demand helps get the Forsyth & Brentwood proposal off the drawing board.
wabash wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm
^Hopefully the strong demand helps get the Forsyth & Brentwood proposal off the drawing board.
I think it will and so will others. Let's not forget that the original Crossing plan consisted of 4 towers similar in scale to 212. 212 is really just phase 1.
^How does the new hotel proposed for the old Police HQ fit in with the overall plan for that block?
I really like this building. No, it won't win any design awards, but it's crisp, clean, and contemporary.
I like that the windows meet at the corners.
The garage is the most interesting part.
quincunx wrote:I like that the windows meet at the corners.
The corner windows are a huge selling point.