Residential tower coming to parking lot at NE Corner of Forsyth and Brentwood

Discuss new retail, dining, business and residential projects within the City of Clayton, the center of St. Louis County government.
I don't think it has anything to do with downtown StL vs downtown Clayton. Imo most of these residents either work in mid county/Clayton, WashU or the BJC medical campus so it makes since to be closer to their work. I also think there are more high end restaurants and shopping closer to Clayton. Hopefully BPV and 300 help restore the balance.
Unanimous final approval granted!

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... e-latest-1
stlgasm wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:17 pm
I attended the meeting tonight, but didn't speak or stay till the end, because it was clear that the mayor and board of aldermen were solidly in favor of the development. I don't know the official outcome of the meeting, but I have a hunch it passed unanimously based on the comments from the board.

I am most impressed with the Clayton mayor, Harold Sanger. He is approachable, well-spoken, and unapologetically progressive. And he completely shot down every point raised in opposition to the proposed development, point-by-point. He was direct without being condescending, and ultimately made the case in favor of the tower even stronger. The opposition resorted to the predictable NIMBY talking points--not enough parking, allusions to backroom deals, fears of overbuilding, increased traffic, blah blah blah. Mayor Sanger and several alderpersons challenged every one of their baseless claims, and it was abundantly clear that the few vocal opponents weren't going to be satisfied no matter what.

I found it humorous that one of the NIMBYs who spoke against the tower was a resident of the Maryland Walk high-rise. He complained that increased density is not good for Clayton, and there won't be enough parking. Then Mayor Sanger promptly shot down his arguments, explaining that when Maryland Walk (the high-rise the man LIVES IN) was proposed, the neighbors nearby rabidly opposed it, but now it's a welcome addition to the fabric of downtown Clayton. I almost stood up and applauded-- it was so satisfying to hear this guy get put in his place.

Anyway, I have yet to hear the official outcome of the hearing, but it sounded like it was going to sail through. Very proud of Clayton's elected officials-- they definitely understand that Clayton's urban character is its biggest selling point, and they share a common vision that increased density and walkability are key to enhancing its appeal.

I did not attend the meeting but I'm willing to bet the gentleman who spoke out against this development and lives in the Maryland Walk is non other than Dr. Andrew Galakatos. He has been very outspoken about his position and is the man behind this idea: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=11359&p=285020&hil ... um#p285020
You are correct, moorlander! He is mentioned by name in the STLToday article. It was pretty obvious that they are bitter because they think their views will be impacted, which is stupid because what's uglier than looking down on a big surface parking lot.
stlgasm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 am
You are correct, moorlander! He is mentioned by name in the STLToday article. It was pretty obvious that they are bitter because they think their views will be impacted, which is stupid because what's uglier than looking down on a big surface parking lot.
And at worst it blocks a view of Brentwood/Richmond Heights. Everyone knows that the view that people pay for! haha
Did the folks in the Clayton on the Park Tower ever get their big-screen video of the sunrise that 212 S. Meramec agreed to give them?
framer wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm
Did the folks in the Clayton on the Park Tower ever get their big-screen video of the sunrise that 212 S. Meramec agreed to give them?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of my favorite tidbits to come out of this forum. Right up there with "Uppity Doopity Dop"