Preservation Board Agenda

What's happening in our built environment.
First unread post400 posts
stlgasm wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 am
Good news for the built environment-- my bro, Randy Vines, has been appointed as the newest member of the Preservation Board by Mayor Krewson. He will also serve on the city's Planning Commission.
[email protected], YES. that's amazing!
stlgasm wrote:Good news for the built environment-- my bro, Randy Vines, has been appointed as the newest member of the Preservation Board by Mayor Krewson. He will also serve on the city's Planning Commission.
WOO WOO


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stlgasm wrote: Good news for the built environment-- my bro, Randy Vines, has been appointed as the newest member of the Preservation Board by Mayor Krewson. He will also serve on the city's Planning Commission.
Yesss!!!
stlgasm wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:37 am
Good news for the built environment-- my bro, Randy Vines, has been appointed as the newest member of the Preservation Board by Mayor Krewson. He will also serve on the city's Planning Commission.
Great! Maybe he can advocate for city wide form-based code. The city also need a new comprehensive plan. Those are very important issues for the future of our city.
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 2017-2.pdf

The full agenda for Monday. One demo appeal has disappeared 😊
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 5-2017.pdf

preliminary agenda for 9/25. Benign so far.
Sure would be a shame to build that privacy fence along DeBaliviere. It would be the only one on the entire stretch of Lindell that extends beyond the building line, and it would also be by far the most visible.
I don't understand the sculpture in front of the Art Museum. The drawings seem to show it completely blocking the road in front of the museum, but I'm sure that can't be the case.
framer wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 pm
I don't understand the sculpture in front of the Art Museum. The drawings seem to show it completely blocking the road in front of the museum, but I'm sure that can't be the case.
Yeah, that Could look awkward. Serra's pieces I have seen are usually quite large.
I'm envisioning Serra's version of a rusty Schoemehl pot plopped down in the middle of the road.
The buildings on California are good news. If a developer is willing to build on vacant land that backs up to the highway, I'll take that as a sign of confidence in the neighborhood.
moorlander wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:55 pm
I'm envisioning Serra's version of a rusty Schoemehl pot plopped down in the middle of the road.
Richard Callow tells me on Twitter that this is a sculpture that will be at or below grade that you will drive over. Interesting. Hard to oppose it as it shouldn't obstruct any views. I'm curious to see it.
jstriebel wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:58 pm
moorlander wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:55 pm
I'm envisioning Serra's version of a rusty Schoemehl pot plopped down in the middle of the road.
Richard Callow tells me on Twitter that this is a sculpture that will be at or below grade that you will drive over. Interesting. Hard to oppose it as it shouldn't obstruct any views. I'm curious to see it.
Based on the description, I sounds like it will be a re-installation of To Encircle Base Plate Hexagram, Right Angles Inverted. It was previously installed in the roadway by the south entrance prior to construction of the Chipperfield addition.

There's more info about the sculpture (which was originally installed in the roadway of a neighborhood in the Bronx before SLAM bought it) here and here.

-RBB
^Yep, that makes sense. Kind of underwhelming, but perhaps that's the point.

Interesting history, BTW.
Out in front might well actually be a better spot for it. I'll look forward to seeing it (again?). (The trouble with where it apparently used to be would have been that I rarely if ever went around the back. Maybe once or twice in the 90s when hiking in the park.)
Se ms like a poor site selection. Based on the article above it seems like it was intended to be viewed from above. Doubt many will realize it an art piece.
Preliminary agenda for October
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 2017-2.pdf
one demo denial appeal.
Is Dolman approaching full capacity? It seems there's consistently been a house or houses on this submission since the recession. Great to see the Benton Park infill/new construction trend continue as well.
imran wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm
Preliminary agenda for October
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 2017-2.pdf
one demo denial appeal.
Whatever happened to this:

https://nextstl.com/2014/06/entire-bloc ... -broadway/

???

3 years ago the owner wanted to rehab the entire block. Now he wants to demolish it?
urban_dilettante wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:20 pm
imran wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm
Preliminary agenda for October
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 2017-2.pdf
one demo denial appeal.
Whatever happened to this:

https://nextstl.com/2014/06/entire-bloc ... -broadway/

???

3 years ago the owner wanted to rehab the entire block. Now he wants to demolish it?
Seriously, What! That stretch has so much promise.

Pumped to see more infill coming to my hood, McKinley Heights. If we ever get the Metrolink, look out! :)
I wonder what redevelopment is mind for the Pruitt School... this is in the Pruitt-Igoe site.
imran wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm
Preliminary agenda for October
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 2017-2.pdf
one demo denial appeal.
the Watkins block demo has it's own thread now. story on NextSTL as well:

viewtopic.php?f=27&p=288199#p288199

https://nextstl.com/2017/10/carondolets ... hreatened/
Bummer the Benton and McKinley projects were pulled. Hopefully we'll see them back there.