Cool rehab in progress east of Gaslight Square!

What's happening in our built environment.
Very pleasantly surprised to pass by this long-vacant warehouse on Olive just west of Vandeventer and notice that the facade has been stripped and the old sign revealed! For the last decade, there were plans to convert this complex into the Culver Way Ecovillage. Looks like it may finally be happening... Anyone have the scoop? Such a beautiful sign!

holy sh*t that's fantastic! been worried about that one for a long time.
Street view for reference

Hmm... I had assumed the sign was hidden under a modern facade and recently uncovered, but judging by the Google streetview pic, the sign was definitely not on the building at all. Perhaps it was safely stored away all these years and re-installed?
Curious.
stlgasm wrote:
Hmm... I had assumed the sign was hidden under a modern facade and recently uncovered, but judging by the Google streetview pic, the sign was definitely not on the building at all. Perhaps it was safely stored away all these years and re-installed?

Yeah that's why I post the street view. Now we gotta find out the story of what's going on.
One heck of a mystery. There appears to be no permit activity for the complex, btw. so I don't know what's going on. And Culver Way's facebook has not much activity and website appears down. So who knows? I demand answers!
Perhaps it's a renegade artist thing similar to when Cassilly did the Monkey frieze on Washington Ave.
Maybe it was done by the owner, if it is not owned by land authortiy, to get some attention to the building or for brochure, real estate sake. It changes the whole feel of the building and what the possibilities are. Putting up the sign probably didn't take long or cost as much.

In the meantime going with Southcityagent suggests, renegrade artist who crushed it.

This is what the top looks like from Google Earth. I would be guessing that there isn't a rehab coming?
Well, if you wanted to do a gut rehab, you're halfway there.
The front facade of the two-story section is badly bowing out, too. I'm surprised this whole place hasn't collapsed yet.
bwcrow1s wrote:
This is what the top looks like from Google Earth. I would be guessing that there isn't a rehab coming?

hard to tell exact ecovillage site plans, but it looks like they want to incorporating this as kind of a court yard housing:

Huh! That really could be kind of interesting.
Yeah, but aren't those renderings 10 years old?
^ they are old but the lack of roof isn't an indication that there will be no rehab as I believe the plan is to incorporate that into the project. But yeah, I have no idea what is going on with Culver Way.... facebook had a post of a January volunteer workday but the page doesn't have a whole lot of updating and the website no longer works. So unless gasm saw other indications of rehab other than the mysterious sign springing up I'm not getting my hopes up for anything imminent.