2301-37 S. KINGSHIGHWAY BLVD ( Hill bank demo) rumors

What's happening in our built environment.
symphonic poet wrote:
[Lots of words...] You can say "when it's gone it's gone," but we really can build a new building behind an old facade. [Lots of words...]

But they're not proposing a new building behind the old facade. It will just be gone. Literally.
They're saving the old facade. Which means that in the future that facade will still be there. So . . . it's not gone. Literally.
symphonicpoet wrote:
They're saving the old facade. Which means that in the future that facade will still be there. So . . . it's not gone. Literally.

except there's a 0% chance of that happening. okay, a (1e-9*100)% chance.
The plan is a fiction?
symphonicpoet wrote:
The plan is a fiction?

well, if we're still talking about the part of the facade that will no longer have a building behind it then there is no plan for a new building behind said facade and there never will be.
Point being that a new small building that could be home to a variety of uses, for cheap, will be gone and we don't seem to be able to build those anymore.
I mean how much are they actually saving removing that building and leaving the facade? Just seems like an awful idea. I'm sure they could easily find some sort of retailer to go there. It's a busy intersection that would receive plenty of traffic with the walgreens and the bank
At the meeting, many residents brought up very good points in favor of preservation. The Board however ended up approving the proposal conditional on a few things like approval of the curb cut by Streets.
imran wrote:
At the meeting, many residents brought up very good points in favor of preservation. The Board however ended up approving the proposal conditional on a few things like approval of the curb cut by Streets.

of course they approved it. and BMO knew they would ahead of time. otherwise this iteration would have been substantially different from the last one.
Now that they plan on moving the Walgreens across the street, where does that leave the empty former Walgreens building? Do they have a plan for that "obsolete" building or are they basically robbing Peter to pay Paul, leaving that building vacant? Unless they have a plan for that building, they are not only destroying historic structures, but also creating a future eyesore across the street. We've all discussed at length that there is a Walgreen's 3 min. up the road at Arsenal. Baffles me that the City continues to sell it's soul to Walgreens and QT, at the expense of historic buildings. Not only that, they approve the destruction of viable buildings, when there are plenty of vacant 'non-historic' properties available, throughout the City.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Now that they plan on moving the Walgreens across the street, where does that leave the empty former Walgreens building? Do they have a plan for that "obsolete" building or are they basically robbing Peter to pay Paul, leaving that building vacant? Unless they have a plan for that building, they are not only destroying historic structures, but also creating a future eyesore across the street. We've all discussed at length that there is a Walgreen's 3 min. up the road at Arsenal. Baffles me that the City continues to sell it's soul to Walgreens and QT, at the expense of historic buildings. Not only that, they approve the destruction of viable buildings, when there are plenty of vacant 'non-historic' properties available, throughout the City.

At the last Hill neighborhood meeting I attended, there was a mention of a possible Waterway carwash interested in the BP property on the corner. Their footprint is fairly large at their other properties, so perhaps they would use the current Walgreens property (or part of it) as well?
^ To me, a car wash would be a terrible use for that property. With the new bridge, lots of new residential at the old Magic Chef factory site, I think there are many better uses for that site. I'd like to see the gas station gone and some new retail go in on that corner, extending to the old Walgreens property.
^I agree. If there is one thing I've learned at the few Hill meetings I've attended, it's that it doesn't really matter what the best and highest use of the property is; as long as the Alderman and the Monsignor sign off on it, you're golden.
If the new outbuilding (on the west) had right-angled trapezoid footprint so its face was parallel to Southwest and were two-stories tall, I'd be pleased with this compromise.
Anyone know the status of this project? It's been very quiet for a while now. Is it dead?
No but there is a huge car washing coming across the street, the BP gas station will be demolished
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:45 pm
No but there is a huge car washing coming across the street, the BP gas station will be demolished
So we'll have a huge carwash there, and one at the former QT down the street? Hooray :? :o :evil:
MattnSTL wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm
dbInSouthCity wrote:
So we'll have a huge carwash there, and one at the former QT down the street? Hooray :? :o :evil:
Just remembered that. I thought someone had mentioned Garcia was going to build condos or something there a while ago? Maybe the environmental cleanup was too much.
MattnSTL wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Correct- Waterway on Kingshighway and Southwest and Blue Iguana at QT site.