Gas Explosion Demo Menard and Shenandoah

What's happening in our built environment.
The 3 story storefront at Menard and Shenandoah burned after an AT&T subcontractor hit a gas line a couple of weeks ago - Was hoping for a rebuild - looks like it is coming down - shame it was a nice building - hope it does not stay a vacant lot for too long
that REALLY f*cking sucks. it was beautiful 3-story corner mansard. hopefully their insurance will cover a rebuild, but i doubt it'll look as good as the original. f*cking negligent subcontractors...
A rebuild? A million dollars and the best architects in the city won't come close to replacing that building. Nothing touches the art, workmanship, pride and skill of those who built this city 100+ years ago. They could have used a few pink rolls of insulation back then but that's about it. So weird how architecture is one of the few skills that has actually taken steps backwards over the years.
I'm not sure architects are any less skilled. I think their budgets are just smaller (relatively).
beer city wrote:
The 3 story storefront at Menard and Shenandoah burned after an AT&T subcontractor hit a gas line a couple of weeks ago - Was hoping for a rebuild - looks like it is coming down - shame it was a nice building - hope it does not stay a vacant lot for too long

leeharveyawesome wrote:
A rebuild? A million dollars and the best architects in the city won't come close to replacing that building. Nothing touches the art, workmanship, pride and skill of those who built this city 100+ years ago. They could have used a few pink rolls of insulation back then but that's about it. So weird how architecture is one of the few skills that has actually taken steps backwards over the years.

So are you guys saying the building could have been saved and they took the easy road by demolishing it? Just asking since I haven't been by since the explosion.
dweebe wrote:
beer city wrote:

leeharveyawesome wrote:

So are you guys saying the building could have been saved and they took the easy road by demolishing it? Just asking since I haven't been by since the explosion.

I am guessing that it was too far gone - I had not seen it till yesterday - It looks pretty sad - But ultimately it was probably the insurance co that set the price - and the current owner most likely would not be able to rebuild the existing for that settlement - also since it was so heavily damaged historic tax credits could not be used (this was the case with the Switzer building after the wind storm the National Park Service said that there was not enough of the building left to award tax credits)
So...what does it actually cost to build a 2-story, 2-wythe brick structure today? I'd assume the cost would essentially be whatever it costs to install 6000 or so sq ft of brick veneer (calculated based on building perimeter of 140ft, 20ft high, 2 wythes - so double the surface area?), which is between $40k and $60 according to online calculators like homewyse. Given that you never have to replace it, it doesn't sound that expensive. Is $40k to $60k all that stands between vinyl box garbage and real masonry?
Any updates on this? I'm guessing nothing's happened since the demo...
urban_dilettante wrote:
Any updates on this? I'm guessing nothing's happened since the demo...

Ongoing finger pointing, denial and insurance mess

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 81fba.html
thanks for the update, beer city!

what a ridiculous situation… i don't see how there can be any question as to who's responsible for the explosion and who should be compensated. that building is irreplaceable, but i do hope they rebuild something of reasonable quality on that corner.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:43 pm
thanks for the update, beer city!

what a ridiculous situation… i don't see how there can be any question as to who's responsible for the explosion and who should be compensated. that building is irreplaceable, but i do hope they rebuild something of reasonable quality on that corner.
3 years of fighting with the insurance company...and now we have a reasonable infill

https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 6-2017.pdf
^ good to see progress. glad they're increasing the scale a bit but unfortunately the proposal doesn't come close to matching its predecessor aesthetically. oh, well.