Downtown Ghost Buildings

What's happening in our built environment.
I really don't understand the appeal of brutalism. Lots of concrete. It really reminds me of a parking garage. I'm in the crowd that it will not be coming back in favor ever again
I've always liked the Sverdrup Building, which is one of St. Louis' finest examples of Brutalism. It's got plenty of windows, balconies, and interesting forms. Certainly lots of concrete, but Brutalism doesn't have to be bland.
framer wrote:
DowntownNick wrote:
It boggles the mind that stuff like that was allowed to happen.

It still happens today. Wash U is getting ready to cover a classic example of Brutalist Architecture with a trendy ornamental facade. It's amazing how quickly tastes change, only to come back in favor years later.

what building?
Updated...

Ghost Busted since 2011:
GenAmerica
Arcade-Wright
Cupples 9
WS Hotel
Cupples 7 (unfortunately by demo)

Left to Ghost Bust from list of original 12 but have a plan or active ownership:
Chemical (now owned by Gills, who are developing plan)
LaSalle (hotel)
Jefferson Arms (mixed-use apts.)
917 Locust (apts.)
921 Locust (apts.)

Left to Ghost Bust from list of original 12 and no announced plan

Mercantile (no indication from Brandonview on what's in store other than interior garage work)
505 Washington (for sale)

Buildings that became ghosts since 2011 with no plan:
Railway Exchange (Rick Yackey owned)
Millennium/Stouffer Hotel (for sale)
roger wyoming II wrote:
framer wrote:
DowntownNick wrote:
It boggles the mind that stuff like that was allowed to happen.

It still happens today. Wash U is getting ready to cover a classic example of Brutalist Architecture with a trendy ornamental facade. It's amazing how quickly tastes change, only to come back in favor years later.

what building?

Here ya go:

https://nextstl.com/2016/02/wustl-plans ... -entrance/
^ thanks!
Updated for Railway Exchange...

Ghost Busted since 2011:
GenAmerica
Arcade-Wright
Cupples 9
WS Hotel
Cupples 7 (unfortunately by demo)

Left to Ghost Bust from list of original 12 but have a plan or active ownership:
Chemical (now owned by Gills, who are developing plan)
LaSalle (hotel)
Jefferson Arms (mixed-use apts.)
917 Locust (apts.)
921 Locust (apts.)

Mercantile (no indication from Brandonview on what's in store other than interior garage work)
505 Washington (for sale)

Buildings that became ghosts since 2011 but with a plan or active owner:
Railway Exchange (new owner developing mixed-use plan)

Buildings that became ghosts since 2011 but with no plan or active owner:
505 Washington sold last month to P&F Properties, which has done a couple small redevelopment projects downtown in the past few years... crossing fingers something exciting is in the works!
Although some of the buildings still need to get over some hurdles and one was demolished, of the original 12 CBD ghost buildings, only 505 Washington lacks any kind of announced plan; and that was recently sold.

Ghost Busted since 2011:
GenAmerica (now Laclede Gas HQ)
Arcade-Wright (apts/Webster U)
Cupples 9 (office)
WS Hotel (apts)_
Cupples 7 (demo)

Chemical (apts)
LaSalle (hotel)
Jefferson Arms (mixed-use)
917 Locust (apts.)
921 Locust (apts.)
Mercantile Library (mixed-use)

505 Washington (recently sold but no announced plan)

Railway Exchange (potential new owner developing mixed-use plan)

When will the One AT&T Center building be "added" to the ghost building list? Also what is its art deco neighbor, the Southwestern Bell Building, currently being used for?
^ I believe the AT&T lease is up in 2017 so everyone should be out sometime next year.

The SW Bell Building remains in use by AT&T (as well as the data center to the east of One Center) and I believe is pretty well occupied.... it has been receiving a decent amount of upgrades recently and I believe is absorbing workers from across the street, etc.

I wish it would've been the reverse, where AT&T moved people out of the SW Bell and into One Center... after a conversion I think the majestic art deco tower could hold the potential to be the city's finest address.
I just wish they would give the SW Bell building a better street presence. Those window bays would be perfect for some storefronts, maybe even a CVS?
Imagine if Jack Dorsey brought Square and Twitter back to STL in the One Center building.
cardinalstl wrote:
Imagine if Jack Dorsey brought Square and Twitter back to STL in the One Center building.

That would be the best thing ever. A new company in Saint Louis. It will make us look even stronger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just to show how daunting it'll be to fill up One Center's 1M+ sq. ft., even if Square relocated its HQ from SanFran and took up the same amount of office space, that'd only be 200,000 square feet, at least when their present HQ opened in 2014. (Not sure how much office space twitter HQ takes up.)
STLrainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:24 pm
Although some of the buildings still need to get over some hurdles and one was demolished, of the original 12 CBD ghost buildings, only 505 Washington lacks any kind of announced plan; and that was recently sold.

Ghost Busted since 2011:
Cupples 9 (office)
WS Hotel (apts)_
Cupples 7 (demo)

Chemical (apts)
LaSalle (hotel)
917 Locust (apts.)
921 Locust (apts.)

I believe LaSalle and maybe some of the Locust buildings are getting going now. Where are we on this list now?

AT&T has been ghosted correct?
LaSalle, the Mercantile Library and the Locust buildings are all being renovated right now.

The Jefferson Arms seems to be heading in the right direction, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
Updated CBD Ghost Buildings Status

Ghost Busted since 2011:
Cupples 9 (office)
WS Hotel (apts)_
Cupples 7 (unfortunately via demo)

On the list of original 12 currently being Ghost Busted
LaSalle (hotel)
917 Locust (apts.)
921 Locust (apts.)

Left to Ghost Bust from list of original 12 but have a plan/active ownership
Chemical (apts)

Buildings that became ghosts since 2011 but with a plan/active owner:

One Center Tower (former AT&T)
Amazon is looking for a Second HQ. The City should bid. That’s what they want cities to do. AT&T Center, looking at you
chriss752 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:07 am
Amazon is looking for a Second HQ. The City should bid. That’s what they want cities to do. AT&T Center, looking at you
Bottle District, I'm looking at you. :-P