Soldiers Memorial

What's happening in our built environment.
Looks like the interest in overhauling the forlorn Soldiers Memorial is moving forward with potential funding led by the Taylors and possible Missouri History Museum involvement:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... dbec8.html

A restored and activated memorial would be a boon for the area and hopefully there will be ongoing corporate and philanthropic support for vitalizing the entire Gateway Mall once the Arch focus is over.
This sounds like great news. I've always overlooked the Soldier's Memorial myself. Never bothered to step inside. Never particularly curious about what was inside. Never had a reason to be. I knew it was a memorial for our soldiers, and I respected that, but I'll be honest, I didn't realize it was more than a memorial building. I didn't know there was a collection inside.

If this could actually become an attraction and a legitimate gateway to knowledge, that's only a good thing. I hope it keeps progressing.
Until quite recently, I had no idea there was even an enclosed space in the Memorial. Maybe it's just me, but the Museum might want to do a better job of advertising itself.
It's definitely worth a visit. There's a nice collection of WWI and WWII memorabilia in the Memorial. And you learn a lot about St. Louis' involvement in the wars through the St. Louis born soldiers who fought and the production/manufacturing that went on here to support the war efforts.
It sounds quite interesting, actually, and the photos on the stltoday article were intriguing as well. I'm definitely going to drop in the next time I'm in the area.
What really got me excited was the mention of opening tunnels under the memorial to the public. I've heard that tunnels connect the Soldiers Memorial to City Hall, the Municipal Courts and the Central Library. Can anyone confirm this or provide more info?
hiddeninput wrote:
Until quite recently, I had no idea there was even an enclosed space in the Memorial. Maybe it's just me, but the Museum might want to do a better job of advertising itself.

Exactly, I had no idea this was an actual museum.
I'm surprised few knew there was a museum inside. My brother took me there when I was 7 and the place started my love for downtown an an odd fascination with the First World War. And as an armchair Great War enthusiast, over time I've come to appreciate, that for what this place is, the collection is really very good. We should be proud of it. It needs better presentation and story telling.
A few summers ago Stan Musial got behind an increased effort to raise money for the memorial. His support garnered some publicity, but maybe didn't generate the dollars required to modernize/update the memorial in the way they are hoping.
Post-Dispatch reports the History Museum has agreed to work with the City on reaching an agreement for taking over the operation of the Memorial/Museum.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... 31d01.html

I really hope this works out.
This seems like it is about to happen
http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/h ... 9663f.html
^ passed out of committee today., which is great. But there is a disturbing rendering of closing Chestnut as part of the project, which is simply awful.
Were is the rendering? Can someone post?
I think someone's suffering from visions of grandeur.

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wp ... B4F7&01NA=
PLEASE keep the street grid open!! Why is this city so behind the times with this? Removing the grid for more "park space" is absurd. Perhaps bollards that retract into the street for events is fine, but chestnut should remain open.
Someone from the Missouri History Museum will be at the next Downtown Neighborhood Association meeting on Monday, Nov. 9 at 6pm in the Carnegie Room (3rd floor) of the Downtown Central Library to discuss the renovations.

I have already expressed to them that the association is completely against any plan to permanently close Chestnut. They responded that it was an early rendering and not to be alarmed. Despite that we need to continue expressing this stance to help stop this idea from going any further.
I go back to a question I asked on the urban theory a long time ago:

Why are we dependent on citizens to voice their concerns about situations like this. If these types of urban development decisions are so critical for the growth and health of a neighborhood, why are there not city consultants or employees to guide developers? Shouldn't the city have an authority with an urban planning background to oversee these projects?
They should, yes, but the city is so dysfunctional we are light years away.
I honestly doubt that they will be able to close Chestnut. There will be just too much opposition.
I clearly don't understand the depths of the dysfunction. What does that really mean? What exactly is the barrier to such positions or the idea of such positions? It doesn't make sense to want to do projects, but not optimize them. I would buy that they can't afford it or something, but the "dysfunction" pile is getting too big to not learn more about it.
Looks like the agreement is signed. And great news is Mo History won't be closing Chestnut; rather the plan looks to be to narrow it; which is fine, I think.

Details as per PD

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/miss ... 6ef8e.html

Mayor Francis Slay signed over control of Soldiers' Memorial on Wednesday, entrusting the downtown landmark with the Missouri Historical Society.

The society, which governs the Missouri History Museum in Forest Park, has planned a $30 million renovation project to remake the memorial. The complex, which was built in 1935 in honor of World War I veterans, includes a World War II memorial called the Court of Honor directly across Chestnut Street.
Hard to tell if Chestnut will be closed.