Preservation Board Agenda

What's happening in our built environment.
First unread post515 posts
^Should we do that on the back of an immigrant group who we want who practice a religion that has seen some . . . shall we say negative publicity lately? Yes, we need to fix it. But I don't think this quite the right group to start with. It's a case of not picking on those already disadvantaged. Particularly not when we really really really want their help. Further, to make it pedestrian friendly you're going to have to put the street on a serious road diet. This may be in the works . . . eventually . . . but it hasn't happened yet.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:10 pm
^Should we do that on the back of an immigrant group who we want who practice a religion that has seen some . . . shall we say negative publicity lately? Yes, we need to fix it. But I don't think this quite the right group to start with. It's a case of not picking on those already disadvantaged. Particularly not when we really really really want their help. Further, to make it pedestrian friendly you're going to have to put the street on a serious road diet. This may be in the works . . . eventually . . . but it hasn't happened yet.
There is a plan for a road diet with the Metrolink but I think it should happen sooner than that. I guess I just feel like plan is put in place for a reason and no matter what group you are from, be it religious or some big fast food chain, you should have to abide by those plans that a neighborhood worked hard to put in place.

Having said that, the Mosque was approved anyway despite the neighborhood so nothing anyone can do now. Maybe form-based code for Jefferson needs to be put in place now.
leeharveyawesome wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am

Back to the historic code. Either everyone follows the code or you get rid of the code.
Soooo why do we have a preservation board and other boards where people can get relief from the code?
dbInSouthCity wrote:
leeharveyawesome wrote:

Back to the historic code. Either everyone follows the code or you get rid of the code.
Soooo why do we have a preservation board and other boards where people can get relief from the code?
Great question.

Does anyone know if they are tearing down the two residential/commercial buildings facing Jefferson to make way for the parking lot?
leeharveyawesome wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 am
dbInSouthCity wrote:
leeharveyawesome wrote:

Great question.

Does anyone know if they are tearing down the two residential/commercial buildings facing Jefferson to make way for the parking lot?
That is not in the current plans but could see it being added.
^ I really hope not. Both buildings seem to be in pretty good shape. I see The Qooba Foundation owns both of them. Hopefully they will be comes homes for some of the members/leaders?
leeharveyawesome wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:00 am
dbInSouthCity wrote:
leeharveyawesome wrote:

Great question.

Its actually pretty easy....due process.
rheights wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:51 am
^ I really hope not. Both buildings seem to be in pretty good shape. I see The Qooba Foundation owns both of them. Hopefully they will be comes homes for some of the members/leaders?
Hopefully, they really haven't done a great job keeping up their current location. It needs a rehab.
Those two infill houses in Soulard look fantastic. I hope they don't have any trouble since the design strays a bit from typical Soulard abodes (i.e. their model example is a home in the College Hill Neighborhood on the Northside).
The original layout makes me wonder if they'd intended to acquire the lots next door and add row houses with a common wall on either side. (What with the wall right up on the property line of each.) 2306 and 08 are both LRA. 2304 seems to be bundled up with 2302 right now, so you'd have to sweet talk someone out of their yard. And 2310 is a developer a few blocks away. I can see the value in putting the current two back to back, but that would make it impossible to put row houses on either side. Not the end of the world, of course. But four row houses could be worth the risk of leaving the exposed walls plain and windowless for a while, rather than artfully fenestrated. It's a risk, but . . . four is better than two. And a big blank wall might encourage further development more quickly. I think I see the logic to the original plan, and I think I like it.

Of course there is a proverb about birds in hands and bushes.
final agenda for monday
https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/d ... 1-2018.pdf

That temporary classroom is hideous. God I wish the form-based code covered this area :(
Sheesh. That "temporary" building is about the worst thing imaginable for that corner. Yes, I know, at least 4477 is spared, but jeez...