Soldiers Memorial

What's happening in our built environment.
^ it is staying open, but will be getting some kind of road diet.
Will close at the end of February for the overhaul. Also, here is a pretty cool slide show:

http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/news/ke ... b49.html#0

Demolition underway in May 1932 on the seven downtown blocks for the city's Memorial Plaza, including the future site of Soldiers Memorial. The view is to the north across Market Street from City Hall. Construction for Soldiers Memorial began three years later on the block behind the lone building in the foreground. Towering in the background is the Missouri Pacific Railroad headquarters, now the Park Pacific. (Post-Dispatch)

Soldiers Memorial glows at night after a snow storm in January 1939, eight months after it was completed. The view is to the west, with Chestnut Street in the center. (Post-Dispatch)
Will reopen next Veterans Day. Sounds like the major work will be done soon-ish.
http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/ren ... s-day-2018

This quote is alarming.
Another change: The memorial site will no longer host entertainment festivals, such as St. Louis Ribfest, that are unrelated to its mission of honoring military service and history.

“Part of the agreement when the historical society entered into the operations agreement with the city of St. Louis was that the historical society would control the two blocks from Market to Pine and from 13th to 14th,” Goering said. “We want to be sure that activities on these two blocks of the Soldiers Memorial and Court of Honor are mission-related — that they honor the service of those in the military. So completely unrelated activities will no longer be taking place here.’’
Does this mean no downtown events anywhere in that area, like Pridefest, etc? Those are the only things, other than Scottrade events, that really bring life to the area.
Yeah, what the hell is the point of redoing an area, if you can't use it??
Those two old photos. Jesus. How much green space is necessary?

Out of towners must have been really f***ing flabbergasted when they crossed the river to see an entire 40 block swath demolished and buildings falling down all over the place. Christ. "This is the 4th largest city in the US?"
Torn on the usage thing. I get it. And we have other areas downtown that can host events. But... dead space is not good. So I hope that's not what it becomes.
Maybe Pridefest and other events held in the Gateway Mall will move East towards completed arch grounds and Kiener Plaza. That is a bummer though.

I'm still curious about Taste of St. Louis. With renovated plaza space, wondering if they'll come back downtown as Fair St. Louis has. That Chesterfield location is just so awful. Last year, I parked at chesterfield mall and took a bus to get to a muddy soccer field of hay and sprawled food tents. Felt more like a parish festival than anything. Lost all of its uniqueness.
Can we please bring those types of lightings back to the downtown area instead of this ugly cobra lighting! :roll:
I'm curious what are they going to do about the homeless that constantly invade that area specially once soldiers memorial reopens?
After more thought, what about all the 5k/10k/marathons/other runs? There's some event in that area a huge percentage of weekends per year.

Hopefully this control over events is overstated.
eee123 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:51 pm
After more thought, what about all the 5k/10k/marathons/other runs? There's some event in that area a huge percentage of weekends per year.

Hopefully this control over events is overstated.
If most of the Running events and other events got moved more to Kiener plaza and Market street I wouldn't be upset (I think several festivals have already moved there). I think it's a better space for that kind of stuff.