Bizarre Foods- Andrew Zimmern St. Louis

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
New episode this coming Monday
8 PM 8/26/13.. Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern.. Featuring none other than our wonderful city ,
St. Louis Missouri! FYI :mrgreen:
^ Awesome, what channel?
innov8ion wrote:
^ Awesome, what channel?

Travel Channel
Andrew Zimmern did a great job on the St. Louis episode. However, I think he spent too much time on the river. I am not sure that he needed to beat that topic like a dead horse. He also made St. Louis look urban and country at the same time. He went to Schotzie's for brain sandwich, but he should have went somewhere else for STL style pizza. That would not be a place I'd go first. He went to Smokie O's, Farm Haus, Soulard Market, Fast Eddies (to cook Paddle Fish -not on menu), Bogarts, Pappys, Grbic and another in Little Bosnia. I think he did a great job making his way around the city, in a one hour episode. NOW, if we could only get Anthony Bourdain to come here and film a show! He needs to take a cue from Andrew!

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/b ... res?page=3
I would love for Bourdain to film an episode of the layover here.
DogtownBnR wrote:
NOW, if we could only get Anthony Bourdain to come here and film a show! He needs to take a cue from Andrew!

He's already done Kansas City and Ozarks episodes. Plus a friend who saw his show at the Fox Theater said Bourdain was asked about a St. Louis-only show and he said we're not even on the list.
I thought Zimmern's culinary tour of St. Louis and surroundings was pretty good.

Maybe he did focus a little too much on the rivers, but one could argue so much of the citizenry has turned our back to them it's good to see them regain a footing.

Plus I'm not sure what I would have filled that time with. He did a good job covering the different ethnic enclaves of St. Louis neighborhoods. Maybe he could have done a bit on park steaks. My friends who aren't from here think that cut of meat is a little bizarre :)

On a side note I hope the next TV show that films here does so between April and November when our trees are leafed out.
I caught a rerun of the Man v. Food episode here that was also filmed in winter.

I just think our brick architecture is better framed with the greens of summer or the autumn colors.
How can Bourdain say STL is not even on the list, yet he's already filmed in KC. I would argue that STL has some pretty awesome BBQ and very unique food. KC got on the show, strictly because of their BBQ. He did a show in Cleveland as well. For him to say STL is not even on the list, is a travesty!

I agree. Both shows were filmed at such a crappy time of year here. It makes the place look empty and cold.

At least Andrew Zimmern loved all of the food he had here. Then again, it is rare that he dislikes something. I saw him almost puke a few times, but most of the time he loves strange food.

Now, I'm waiting for the Ghost Adventures crew to hit the Lemp Mansion. The Ghost Hunters beat them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't come. They could investigate the mansion, the brewery and the Stables.
Disclaimer: I didn't see the episode but plan on watching it.

Was there anything wrong with him focusing on the rivers a lot? That's the reason why St. Louis (the River City) exists. It makes a lot of sense that he would.
DogtownBnR wrote:
How can Bourdain say STL is not even on the list, yet he's already filmed in KC. I would argue that STL has some pretty awesome BBQ and very unique food. KC got on the show, strictly because of their BBQ. He did a show in Cleveland as well. For him to say STL is not even on the list, is a travesty!

I guess Bourdain (or his producers) think 3 shows on a midwestern state state is too much?

He's an admitted pork whore you can't deny Kansas City's draw over us in that area. And his attraction to the Ozarks was because he's a big fan of the book "Winter's Bone"
^^He must have spent half of the show talking about Asian carp and Paddlefish. Those might be bizarre, but from what I saw on the show, not many people actually eat those fish. The guys that took him carp fishing had to borrow Fast Eddies fryer to cook it. The guys that took him paddle-fishing, do not even eat the stuff. They just fish for fun. They did not really like it. Andrew liked the taste of both. I think he portrayed STL more like you'd imagine a city in the south being portrayed. I am not saying STL looked redneck, but we didn't come across as cutting edge either. I thought he could have focused on some of the other cutting edge cooks in St. Louis, like the guy from Farm Haus. He was very cool and blew Andrew away. He mentioned toasted ravs, but only for 2 secs.
He could have actually eaten and cooked more stuff from Soulard Market. Luckily, it was bustling when he was there.

From what I've heard ( from a local chef in the know) it was the owner of Farm Haus, that contacted Andrew Zimmern's people. 3 weeks later, they said they were coming to film. He was caught off guard. Pretty cool how one email turned into a filming and episode being done here. (assuming the story is true)
^ I haven't seen the episode, but it appears that he didn't do as good of a job making the Asian Carp sound as interesting as the real story. I think it is fascinating that businesses are being created to catch these invasive creatures and sell them back to the Chinese as "wild caught carp."

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... 2cdcd.html
Great show. I liked how the show focused on St. Louis neighborhood cuisine as well as the histories - especially the Bosnian segments. The Bosnian segment left me wanting to go to a Bosnian eatery.

St. Louis-style pizza, in my opinion, is best embodied by IMO's. They should have gone to IMO's. (Just my bias)

I too think the river segments were too long - particularly the Lake of The Ozarks segment. Lake of The Ozarks is not even St. Louis, but I understand they may have wanted to squeeze paddle-fishing/cuisine into the show since they were already in Missouri.

Last, I think think they could have brought more attention to bizarre African-American cuisine such as fried tripe and pig feet sandwiches; and Chinese/Asian cuisine such as St. Paul sandwiches.

St. Paul sandwiches cannot be found anywhere in America (or the world, I think) except St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

Nonetheless, I realize they could not cover every "bizarre" food in St. Louis in an hour, but they did a great job.

St. Louis looked like a European village in most segments and from what I could tell they covered St. Louis' history accurately.
Zagat's recent feature from August 27th, 2013, 50 States, 50 Sandwiches, featured the St. Paul sandwich for Missouri.

Anybody happen to know if there is a way to see this episode online? I'm very sad that I missed it.
I actually bought the episode on youtube for 2 bucks.
Bizarre Foods came back to St. Louis and did an episode under 'Delicious Destinations'. It aired last night on Travel Channel. It was a good episode. Featured the standard stuff, toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake, pork steak and STL style pizza. Here is a link:

http://www.stlmag.com/dining/st.-louis- ... -march-23/
I just watched the three clips on gooey butter cake, Stl pizza, and t ravs. Makes me proud. :)
Seems remiss to not include the St. Paul sandwich on the show. Provel, gooey butter cake and BBQ are borderline cliche already. The same thing is re-hashed over and over and over. The St. Paul sandwich is still relatively obscure, and definitely bizarre.
^ Agreed.... I haven't had one yet but it is on my bucket list.
stlgasm wrote:
Seems remiss to not include the St. Paul sandwich on the show. Provel, gooey butter cake and BBQ are borderline cliche already. The same thing is re-hashed over and over and over. The St. Paul sandwich is still relatively obscure, and definitely bizarre.

And delicious. Don't forget delicious. It got some love a while ago on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me's Sandwich Monday blog:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/0 ... f-st-louis

-RBB