Jason Stockley

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
moorlander wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 am
Bruce Franks is a member of the Missouri House of Representatives. Wouldn't his time be better spent drafting bills to enact changes in MO law/policies rather than leading daily protests? It seems to me that he's not utilizing his elected powers to make change. Thoughts?
Honestly, how much time do legislators themselves usually spend writing legislation. I think they're more like the manager of a small (to middling) business whose job is representing their constituents. Time spent actually writing laws might be better spent by staffers. I figure Franks is leading the enterprise, not doing all of the grunt work. And leaders usually go out and network. Or . . . ahem . . . stump for what they believe in. Schmoozing with clients and customers, selling their products, or coordinating with other companies working on the same project. This looks like a darn fine stump speech. Makes it clear as crystal where he stands on this. And it's great free advertising to his "clients" since the papers tell us all about it. It's political. He's a politician. That's what politicians do. That's how they get elected. You don't shake hands with your voters and you don't get to office. Ask whoever ran against Warren Hearnes. (The MO Democratic machine said to Hearnes that it wasn't his time to run for governor. Hearnes said approximately "What do the heck do they know?" and went out and knocked on a lot of doors and shook a lot of hands all by himself. Well . . . there was no Governor Other Guy. Or at least that's the way the story went around the office when I was on the inside of a small Democratic machine. As one of the grunts stuffing envelopes, making phone calls, and selling buttons.)
At the risk of opening a hornet's nest, I'm gonna throw this out there. A local man has been found not guilty of first-degree murder of a (presumably) un-armed black man. Will there be protests? Marches? Disruptions? Will the Southside Progressives be outraged? Will Black Community Leaders demand action?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 9ad20.html
framer wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm
At the risk of opening a hornet's nest, I'm gonna throw this out there. A local man has been found not guilty of first-degree murder of a (presumably) un-armed black man. Will there be protests? Marches? Disruptions? Will the Southside Progressives be outraged? Will Black Community Leaders demand action?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 9ad20.html
Presumably not, and here's why.

Details are oddly scarce in that article, but we don't know if this man killed the other man. We know Jason Stockley killed Anthony Lamar Smith. That is not in dispute. Whether it constituted murder was the question. There is room for disagreement on that question, but it is part of a systematic issue of police killing people, especially black people, and receiving no consequences for the action.

It's really not close to an apples to oranges comparison.
^ not to mention that cops take an oath to serve and protect, and have access to resources and training that allow them to conceal, conspire, and coerce to more easily than the average person. they should be held to a higher standard.
Wow. A resolution thanking local police officers isn't even allowed to be debated by the full Board of Aldermen. Honoring convicted felons and heroin dealers, however, is just fine.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... ail-latest
Not going to get into the politics of this but... can we just stop doing resolutions like this in the first place?

Some Alderman needs to create a resolution calling for a ban on erroneous resolutions that do not pertain to the fixing of current issues. The city needs an enema of leadership and people who understand that they need to find answers now. Not tomorrow. Not next year. But now.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm
Not going to get into the politics of this but... can we just stop doing resolutions like this in the first place?

Some Alderman needs to create a resolution calling for a ban on erroneous resolutions that do not pertain to the fixing of current issues. The city needs an enema of leadership and people who understand that they need to find answers now. Not tomorrow. Not next year. But now.
Agreed - that was my reaction when I read this. How many resolutions do we need? Not like it actually fixes anything.
mjbais1489 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 pm
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Agreed - that was my reaction when I read this. How many resolutions do we need? Not like it actually fixes anything.
The Post agrees with you guys:

http://www.stltoday.com/opinion/editori ... 5d64b.html