Mayor Slay's legacy.

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
Noted today by one of his assistants that he has completed 31 years of public service to the city of STL. What will be his legacy as he exits as mayor? I don't doubt his passion and love for the city. I completely understand the handcuffs placed on him with the city not being part of the county and his limited power compared to his peers.

But is the city better off since he took office as Mayor in 2001? I'd give him a resounding NO. I realize that any point I make as to why the city is worse off will be rebutted by a "but,...", but that's not politics these days. It's a bottom line business, just like any of us who hold a gainfully-employed job.

Here's why I think he gets a D+ as mayor:
1) we currently have an environment of rampant violent crime and little security in the city and are one of the most dangerous cities in the world....Lovely. http://fox2now.com/2016/09/28/st-louis- ... n-america/

What hard solutions has he offered?

2) He wanted to have complete control over the police department, got control, and for what good?

3) Our largest skyscraper downtown will soon be empty along with many other buildings from past hotels to historic and beautiful huge structures. Has he helped create an environment inviting to businesses downtown?

4) On his watch, we lost an NFL team.

5) During his tenure, the bleeding of corporate HQ's continue.

6) During his tenure racial tensions have increased.

These are all facts.

Now, to be objective the positives:

1) A nice, start-up environment has been established.

2) The area from SLU to Forest Park continues a resilient expansion.

3) NGA is kept in STL.

What say you? Again, I give him a D+.
^Agree.
He stabilized the status quo (which is only working for a very few). It was a rare occasion when he rocked the boat.
We need someone to be bold, different, take risks.....
whitherSTL wrote:
We need someone to be bold, different, take risks.....

You mean....like someone who isn't afraid to "speak their mind," "drain the swamp," and not be part of the "establishment?" Seems like an excellent idea.
My guess is his legacy would have looked a lot better if left four years sooner. The negatives that people mentioned, most only really popped up in the last 4 years. Then again a couple of the positives weren't present then either.

Also how many of the forces were outside of his control and due to actions by Jefferson City or DC.
imperialmog wrote:
My guess is his legacy would have looked a lot better if left four years sooner. The negatives that people mentioned, most only really popped up in the last 4 years. Then again a couple of the positives weren't present then either.

I thought at the time 2013 was the time for him to go but I still voted for him because I didn't see anything out of Reed that was a compelling alternative. I really wished he would have pushed for Metrolink expansion back in '11-'12'; still a huge mystery to me why Slay-Dooley didn't work together on that issue. Another disappointment is the sorry state of technology, innovation and transparency in city govt... seems like we're still back in 2001 on those issues.
^ Yes, Metrolink should have been pushed much harder in that timeframe. Since I do think its a lot harder now to get public support for it now than if it was done five years ago. It is likely going to be the missed opportunity since at that time you didn't have the crime and racial tension issues be a big factor that would cause problems and it would be right after the one sales tax initiative for it.
Charter schools?
i'm no fan of Slay, and i agree that he's done squat to address crime, but how are you going to blame him for the Rams? he even f***ed over city voters in an attempt to expedite a new stadium for them. racial tensions have been in the toilet for decades, and while the city has plenty of work to do in that regard, the events/systematic injustices that fueled the recent unrest occurred in the county. lastly, st. louis has been bleeding jobs for decades. what do you expect a weak major to do about it? more incentives? it's not like he can just decide to give out incentives at will (not that it's even a good strategy), and that's all companies seem to care about these days. IMO it's not Slay. it's our f***ed up fractured metro combined with a powerless mayoral office. he's basically a mascot.