How can STL get more exposure??

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
I was reading comments on another site, the thread was St. Louis compared to another rust belt city.....

Well most of the posters were explaining how the other city was better and using usual St. Louis stereotypes (Crime, the city's culture being country, etc.); keep in mind that it was another rust belt city not named Chicago closer to the East Coast. Because, of its proximity to NYC and D.C.(Large Media Outlets), I was thinking you hear about it more.

To make it worse a poster from STL talked about crime and racism which every city has and city/county(terrible). The poster did not explain the great things about our city. The posters from the other city were trying to express the plus' of their city.

I feel that STL does not get great exposure, another reason why I think the city does not attract more people.
How can we as a city improve this?

SIDENOTE:I can never understand people from STL being so negative about their city. Where does this stem from is it just an STL thing? Because, the posters from the other city which is the butt of a lot of jokes seem to have great pride........SMH
WendellOPruitt wrote:
I was reading comments on another site, the thread was St. Louis compared to another rust belt city.....

Well most of the posters were explaining how the other city was better and using usual St. Louis stereotypes (Crime, the city's culture being country, etc.); keep in mind that it was another rust belt city not named Chicago closer to the East Coast. Because, of its proximity to NYC and D.C.(Large Media Outlets), I was thinking you hear about it more.

To make it worse a poster from STL talked about crime and racism which every city has and city/county(terrible). The poster did not explain the great things about our city. The posters from the other city were trying to express the plus' of their city.

I feel that STL does not get great exposure, another reason why I think the city does not attract more people.
How can we as a city improve this?

SIDENOTE:I can never understand people from STL being so negative about their city. Where does this stem from is it just an STL thing? Because, the posters from the other city which is the butt of a lot of jokes seem to have great pride........SMH

The city/county sniping can be so polarizing -- at least for those that aren't objective / open-minded. To be fair, some city folks are like that in regards to the county too. It's just a waste of energy, in my opinion. Both the city and county have their pros and cons.

You know what they say...Different strokes.

phpBB [media]
We need real carrots for both sides. We need to show an individual in, say, Creve Coeur exactly how it will be better for him to be together.
I'm going to react quickly to this post 1) because Cleveland fits the mold of the city being danced around above and 2) even if it isn't, Cleveland is a good example of a recent phenomenon that illustrates the point anyway.

"Exposure" is too broad a term to quantify what we want for STL. Over the years, STL has gotten a lot of exposure, and the result is what Joe Blow American thinks about STL: great baseball town, home of the Cardinals, association with beer, and suffers from a crime problem. Those things don't inherently do much for attraction of the demographic we want to be putting down roots in the region. Looking at Cleveland, until this year, the predominance has been many of the same unattractive or neutral things that cause it to have a lifeless and negative persona. However, Johnny Football, LeBron, and the Democrats decide to call it home and all of the sudden Cleveland is on the front page of USA Today as the new "it place." These glitzy ambassadors for the city are going to inevitably bolster the collective psyche of Cleveland to talk about how great they are. While these new boons to Cleveland's economic status will help, 2/3 of them say little about the health of the city.

I'm just as guilty as anyone who has looked toward Cleveland, or any other city whose press seems to be rising at an enviable pace with a jealous eye. What I think we need to do, however, is focus on things like Cortex and solid infrastructure that will make the city a better place to live and work. If we focus on quality development then the kind of exposure we want will come naturally and not in the transient forms that can seem more potent at the time.
^ I suspect if we continue momentum the next couple years we'll see more and more positive stories.... renewed Arch experience, National Blues Museum, Loop Trolley, IKEA, etc. should all be adding to the storyline when they open in 2015/2016. Cortex will continue to take root and other projects should be underway and new ones announced.

We just need to continue making progress and the recognition will follow.... if we can turn around the downtown office weakness and get some momentum in Northside Regeneration it will be well-deserved.
I know it's shooting in the dark but St. Louis or representatives need to have more influence on the "lists" - via Huffington post, forbes, yahoo, etc. Just ran into a lady in the CWE from out of town asking me how to get to drunken fish because it was recommended in Forbes magazine, so yes, we DO get exposure and we need more of it.

The only reason cities like Cleveland are getting any attention is lists / media. I grew up not far from there and the city is still the butt of all jokes. I have a fair amount of friends visit STL from all over the country and they can't believe how much it has to offer.
^ I'd give the edge to downtown Cleveland over ours right now but not for the overall city. They've got some pretty exciting stuff underway in several downtown districts. including the key East Ninth and Euclid area and Flats East. A good mix of historic renovation and new construction.