St. Louis in the National Media

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
First unread post1486 posts
stlgasm wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Here’s some more clickbait that came across my Facebook feed— 15 US Cities with the Worst Reputations. St. Louis clocking in at #2, right behind Detroit. This is such BS, because I actually think St Louis now has a worse national image than Detroit.

http://travel.alot.com/themes/15-us-cit ... ons--15221
Eh, debatable. I would argue that Detroit, on the other hand, is synonymous with decline and decay. I don't think, at least imo, that's the case with St Louis. Definitely, there are people that think this way, but I still attest that the majority of the country either does not care enough about St Louis to have an opinion or thinks of the Arch. I do believe it would be worth it for the CVC to do a study on national impressions of St Louis. I would bet that they skew more to the positive/no opinion side. I really only say this because St Louis' celebrities I think do a really incredible job promoting the city. Karlie Kloss, Andy Cohen, Sterling K. Brown, Jon Hamm are all A-listers with millions of followers. They shamelessly plug St Louis whenever they can. That does go a long way.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 pm

Eh, debatable. I would argue that Detroit, on the other hand, is synonymous with decline and decay. I don't think, at least imo, that's the case with St Louis. Definitely, there are people that think this way, but I still attest that the majority of the country either does not care enough about St Louis to have an opinion or thinks of the Arch. I do believe it would be worth it for the CVC to do a study on national impressions of St Louis. I would bet that they skew more to the positive/no opinion side. I really only say this because St Louis' celebrities I think do a really incredible job promoting the city. Karlie Kloss, Andy Cohen, Sterling K. Brown, Jon Hamm are all A-listers with millions of followers. They shamelessly plug St Louis whenever they can. That does go a long way.
I'd love to agree with you, but I think you're being a little too generous. It's true that Detroit has long been synonymous with decline and decay, but that's precisely what gives the city its edgy, gives-no-f**ks appeal. Detroit owns that reputation and has built its brand around it. It has buzz. It's on the map. St. Louis' relative obscurity essentially equals negative, sorry to say it. If the average Joe doesn't think anything about St. Louis, what makes it a compelling place? "No opinion" = bland and boring, doesn't it? Detroit may be sh*tty, but no one would call it bland. There's no cache in being the 2nd sh*ttiest city, which is unfortunately where we rank. Do you ever read the City-Data.com forums? There's a "Detroit vs. St. Louis" thread, and guess which city won the poll (hint: NOT St. Louis). And this is a forum frequented by self-described city freaks.

I think hometown celebrity plugs only go so far. For one thing, a lot of our celebrity shout outs are rather cliche. "Go Cardinals! Oh Ted Drewes! Good BBQ! Provel rules! Our zoo is free!" I find them kind of patronizing, as if they're patting little St. Louis on the head or something. That said, I think Andy Cohen is the real deal and he does St. Louis proud.

And you better believe our negative/no opinion national image has hurt our tourism and convention industry. There are just too many strikes against us-- high crime (whether perceived or real, doesn't matter-- we show up on every list), ass-backwards state legislature, crippling regional fragmentation, ongoing racial tension that has made St. Louis the poster child of poor race relations... the list goes on and on. The Fodor's list, ridiculous as it may be, is the proof in the pudding.

Our moment of reckoning is here. This city needs to shake things up in a big way. I think an edgy, high-budget ad campaign placed in major urban markets from coast to coast would be a good start.
St. Louis has been getting a lot of bad press lately. Murder rate, Ferguson, losing the Rams. It's been a rough decade for the region and city. I think the region needs to do something this decade to turn this trajectory around before it's too late. Gasm, I also agree with your assessment of the city-data forum. St. Louis seems to be the new whipping boy over there and it seems that a city vs city thread cannot come up without St. Louis some how being dragged into it. The city seriously gets very little respect, even from those that proclaim to know about urban cities. Then you see Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cleveland get showered with praise. It's almost as if St. Louis is the truest underdog city. My wife is from Pittsburgh and can't stand the place. She prefers St. Louis and has actually said that St. Louis is like a better Pittsburgh. She also grew up in the Homewood and Garfield neighborhoods of Pittsburgh, so that may skew her perception some, but the only thing she misses about that town is the Steelers.
goat314 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 pm
St. Louis has been getting a lot of bad press lately. Murder rate, Ferguson, losing the Rams. It's been a rough decade for the region and city. I think the region needs to do something this decade to turn this trajectory around before it's too late. Gasm, I also agree with your assessment of the city-data forum. St. Louis seems to be the new whipping boy over there and it seems that a city vs city thread cannot come up without St. Louis some how being dragged into it. The city seriously gets very little respect, even from those that proclaim to know about urban cities. Then you see Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cleveland get showered with praise. It's almost as if St. Louis is the truest underdog city. My wife is from Pittsburgh and can't stand the place. She prefers St. Louis and has actually said that St. Louis is like a better Pittsburgh. She also grew up in the Homewood and Garfield neighborhoods of Pittsburgh, so that may skew her perception some, but the only thing she misses about that town is the Steelers.
YEP x a million. (I do love Pittsburgh, though!)
So I just went over to city-data. WOOF That place sure as hell does not love St. Louis. I don't typically recoil at posts, but I actually found many of the posts there blatantly offensive. Wow.
I'm of a bit different mind on waging national campaigns; we need to do more work first on our own locals. Heck, having junkers like Joe Buck out there essentially saying our city sucks without more sports ball palaces reflects a mindset that needs to be killed. Things like that KMOV Saint Louis Proud promo need to be pounded into skulls. And yes, having a few cranes in the sky will help.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 pm
So I just went over to city-data. WOOF That place sure as hell does not love St. Louis. I don't typically recoil at posts, but I actually found many of the posts there blatantly offensive. Wow.
There is a lack of moderation and one particularly persistent poster there who creates username after username to troll STL.

I do my best to ignore and just post development news and report the trolls. For some reason though it never gets cleaned up.

Urbanstl posters contribute a lot of my updates there, thanks guys!
stlgasm wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Here’s some more clickbait that came across my Facebook feed— 15 US Cities with the Worst Reputations. St. Louis clocking in at #2, right behind Detroit. This is such BS, because I actually think St Louis now has a worse national image than Detroit.

http://travel.alot.com/themes/15-us-cit ... ons--15221
I guess I don't get out much: Highest number of strip clubs per capita? I guess that's also why it's the highest number per capita of cosmetic surgeons too? :D
STLrainbow wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:16 am
I'm of a bit different mind on waging national campaigns; we need to do more work first on our own locals. Heck, having junkers like Joe Buck out there essentially saying our city sucks without more sports ball palaces reflects a mindset that needs to be killed. Things like that KMOV Saint Louis Proud promo need to be pounded into skulls. And yes, having a few cranes in the sky will help.
100! (<--- that's a thing people do on Tweeter, right?)
Nice write-up in CLAD magazine about the new Maryland Heights Community Center:

http://www.cladglobal.com/CLADnews/arch ... e=home&p=1

St. Louis couple on recent house hunters. Overall, great city views. Even MetroLink made an appearance.

Currently CWE residents looking for a suburban home (sigh)...
Home #1: Looks like Wentzville. They highlighted the fact that they're 45 minutes from everything.
Home #2: Looks like Mid to South County.
House #3: Beautiful South City two-story home, terrific price, and remodel.

They went with House #2.

Most annoying part was how the wife kept pointing out how bad she wanted to leave the city.
"We love going to the Zoo, the Arch, Forest Park, Science Center, the night life"..........
"Yeah but its in the city. I thought we wanted to get out of this place" So aggravating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJURULJPz6g