St. Louis in the National Media

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
First unread post1502 posts
First, the WSJ leans conservative. The WSJ rarely writes positive pieces on St. Louis.

On top of that, considering the number of new apartments under construction, renovation and planned - nope - St. Louis is not losing population. Perhaps - as usual - it is growing slower than the national average - but not losing.

Keep in mind that millennials prefer renting and St. Louis consistently ranks as a top city for millennials in a number of measurements. That said, new multi-million dollar subdivisions are planned all across the region. Definitely not a sign a dwindling population.

There may be some population shifting - as usual - but not any losses.

Write Shaydi Raice ([email protected]) at the WSJ.

Ask her what sources she used in order to determine "The St. Louis region is losing population......."

She could come back and say, "I meant to say St. Louis City or St. Louis County" or both. If that's the case, they don't represent the entire region.
arch city wrote:First, the WSJ leans conservative. The WSJ rarely writes positive pieces on St. Louis.

On top of that, considering the number of new apartments under construction, renovation and planned - nope - St. Louis is not losing population. Perhaps - as usual - it is growing slower than the national average - but not losing.

Keep in mind that millennials prefer renting and St. Louis consistently ranks as a top city for millennials in a number of measurements. That said, new multi-million dollar subdivisions are planned all across the region. Definitely not a sign a dwindling population.

There may be some population shifting - as usual - but not any losses.

Write Shaydi Raice ([email protected]) at the WSJ.

Ask her what sources she used in order to determine "The St. Louis region is losing population......."

She could come back and say, "I meant to say St. Louis City or St. Louis County" or both. If that's the case, they don't represent the entire region.

^^ THIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
US Census Bureau site numbers.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tab ... l?src=bkmk

St. Louis, MO-IL Metro Area

2010 2,790,092
2011 2,793,811
2012 2,796,903
2013 2,800,154
2014 2,804,862
2015 2,808,330
2016 2,807,002
Okay, a bit of an interesting thing is happening on snapchats Snap Map right now. Snap Map not only shows you where your friends are, but it lets you see snap “stories” in places all over the world. I frequently look at St Louis, however currently there is a “feature” snap story in St Louis. These are for high profile events or breaking news. It’s titled “St Louis Incident” and it appears to be occurring in the West End. Is anything going on there? Nothing in the story seems to be indicative of a serious emergency, nothing is on the news either . I only post because typically a snap “incident” revolves around a mass shooting and/or serious act of Terror. Image

Chalupas54 wrote:Okay, a bit of an interesting thing is happening on snapchats Snap Map right now. Snap Map not only shows you where your friends are, but it lets you see snap “stories” in places all over the world. I frequently look at St Louis, however currently there is a “feature” snap story in St Louis. These are for high profile events or breaking news. It’s titled “St Louis Incident” and it appears to be occurring in the West End. Is anything going on there? Nothing in the story seems to be indicative of a serious emergency, nothing is on the news either . I only post because typically a snap “incident” revolves around a mass shooting and/or serious act of Terror. Image

https://www.google.com/amp/fox2now.com/ ... -city/amp/
St Louis reconnect with the Gateway Arch and Its Pioneer Spirit
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/busi ... -arch.html
^Nice article. Kind of silly of them to compare the number of Arch visitors last year to earlier years, though. I mean, it was a construction zone, ya know?
I know this article on the Hyperloop is a few months old, but I stumbled across it and got pissed. Who in the hell do these KC people think they are, fn Chicago or Dallas? This new found arrogance is getting ridiculous! They are so obsessed with one-upping STL.( nothing new ). KCStar never passes up a chance to rip STL.
"But before we get too hyped-up about Hyperloop, can we at least have a conversation? For starters, we’d like a little more information about the demand to travel back-and-forth between St. Louis and Kansas City. We understand the interest our friends in St. Louis have in visiting Kansas City. We’re on a roll, after all, with our burgeoning downtown and winning NFL football team.

But St. Louis? Its population is in decline, and the city hasn’t produced a World Series champion since way back in 2011. Seriously, though, how many of us are in a screaming rush to get to St. Louis? And how much would you pay for it?"
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kansasci ... 99656.html
DogtownBnR wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm
I know this article on the Hyperloop is a few months old, but I stumbled across it and got pissed. Who in the hell do these KC people think they are, fn Chicago or Dallas? This new found arrogance is getting ridiculous! They are so obsessed with one-upping STL.( nothing new ). KCStar never passes up a chance to rip STL.
"But before we get too hyped-up about Hyperloop, can we at least have a conversation? For starters, we’d like a little more information about the demand to travel back-and-forth between St. Louis and Kansas City. We understand the interest our friends in St. Louis have in visiting Kansas City. We’re on a roll, after all, with our burgeoning downtown and winning NFL football team.

But St. Louis? Its population is in decline, and the city hasn’t produced a World Series champion since way back in 2011. Seriously, though, how many of us are in a screaming rush to get to St. Louis? And how much would you pay for it?"
This was posted a while back. The inferiority complex is insane.
Personally it's very childish journalism i mean who goes out of their own way to be little another city? Yeah KC has things going on but so does St.Louis and from what i remember St.Louis still has 11 World series to KC's 2.
Anyways KC is yesterdays news come back to me when they are actually relevant and I'm not talking BBQ. :roll: :lol:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:55 pm
DogtownBnR wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm

This was posted a while back. The inferiority complex is insane.
I mean...there's considerable dumping on Chicago in these parts. Last few replies in the M&A thread can't even fathom why a business would want to locate there...
ricke002 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am
I mean...there's considerable dumping on Chicago in these parts. Last few replies in the M&A thread can't even fathom why a business would want to locate there...
Difference being that urbanstl is not a professional journal. Also, not just a business locating, it’s one of our largest businesses potentially RE-locating. I think a little bitterness is warranted.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am
ricke002 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:04 am
Difference being that urbanstl is not a professional journal. Also, not just a business locating, it’s one of our largest businesses potentially RE-locating. I think a little bitterness is warranted.
Showing concern for losing a major corporation and dumbfounded that a corporation would chose to move to the 3rd largest CSA in the country are two entirely different things.
Ways to shut down haters:

1. Be Confident
2. Keep Doing Well
3. Ignore Them
ricke002 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 am
urban_dilettante wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:45 am

Showing concern for losing a major corporation and dumbfounded that a corporation would chose to move to the 3rd largest CSA in the country are two entirely different things.
I think urban_dilettante has a point. I might say rotten things about Chicago or San Francisco in the heat of the moment. (Even though I actually mostly like both towns.) But I'm not the Post Dispatch. The article in the Star carried their editorial board's byline. So . . . it wasn't even a guest opinion. The editorial board signed off on that. There might be members of the Post Dispatch on this forum. (I'm fairly certain there are, in fact.) But there's a difference between a personal post on an internet bulletin board and an editorial from a major daily. And honestly, the noxious mixture of braggadocio and invective wasn't even particularly central to the opinion. It was a triviality included for color. There's enough cross state ugly without that kind of juvenile nonsense.

That said, it's not really worth wasting too much time on it. It's just an editorial. And even with the imprimatur there was probably only one primary author, albeit likely working off notes from a meeting. Sure. There are people there that dislike St. Louis. This isn't really news. There's folks here that dislike KC. Probably best to just move on. But this one does sting a bit more than most.
I bring to you more positive press from an airline magazine, this time a ~15 page piece on STL in the January 2018 of United Airlines Hemispheres. It's not published online yet but read it today on our flight back. I think it did a great job covering startups, venture capital, research/plant science, and a little bit on the neighborhoods. This is all outstanding, my suggestion to future pieces would be to incorporate more of a vibe that it's a hip, trendy, up and coming city. Jobs will attract people, as will "hype".
Only sort of a national media spotlight for St. Louis but my Alma mater, Lindbergh High School, was just in the Rose Parade in Pasadena for the third time the other day. I was in the parade the last time the band went, and it's always nice to get some national and international exposure for St. Louis out of it.
Couldn't find a local media thread so I'm putting this here...

So I know KMOV gets a lot of criticism for being particularly willing to give downtown and pretty much the entire city a black eye whenever possible, but they have a really cool video promo of their new St. Louis Proud segment that looks like it airs on Thursdays... http://www.kmov.com/category/329134/st-louis-proud

I don't see the promo itself online but keep an eye out for it as it has some really cool visuals.
Fodors Travel inclues Missouri with Taj Mahal and Great Wall as one of top 10 places in the world to avoid. They criticize actions of Jeff City, but then use a photo of St. Louis. Thank you Jeff City.

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/fodors-no-list-2018
SB43 is not only a bad bill, but came at the least responsible time.

Perception matters and our GOP legislature decided they are ok with Missouri being perceived as bigoted. Way to go.
gary kreie wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 am
Fodors Travel inclues Missouri with Taj Mahal and Great Wall as one of top 10 places in the world to avoid. They criticize actions of Jeff City, but then use a photo of St. Louis. Thank you Jeff City.

https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/fodors-no-list-2018
yep, as usual St. Louis is the face of all that's bad with MO while KC gets a shout out for great BBQ. :roll:
The hate crime of the suspected Muslims didn't even happen in Missouri. It happened in Kansas!

Hate Crime Is Feared as 2 Indian Engineers Are Shot in Kansas
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/worl ... hotla.html
Something I have always wondered and suggested to the CVC is maybe launching a PR campaign that simply promotes St Louis, but not Missouri.

St Louis does not need Missouri. More or less along the lines of this:

In promotional materials, refer to the STL area as "St. Louis" , dropping the "Missouri".

In fact, AP Style dictates that the ",Missouri" is not needed to identify the city as it's already a recognizable name.
It's sad that St.Louis has to take the brunt of every mistake this state makes. Lets face it whether we admit it or not St.Louis is still the namesake/bread&butter of this state.
In all sincerity i hope that the St.Louis region can regain the NAACP's trust & bridge the inadequately gap.
I believe St.Louis is making efforts in doing so but the state of missouri isn't helping at all.

I vote make St.Louis the new state capitol
Here’s some more clickbait that came across my Facebook feed— 15 US Cities with the Worst Reputations. St. Louis clocking in at #2, right behind Detroit. This is such BS, because I actually think St Louis now has a worse national image than Detroit.

http://travel.alot.com/themes/15-us-cit ... ons--15221