St. Louis in the National Media

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
First unread post1465 posts
I know it's the "St. Louis thing" to think it's so much worse here but the national news this morning shows the unrest in....Atlanta. And a few months ago it was May Day in Portland that saw protests go violent with the mayor proclaiming it was becoming a pattern of peaceful protests ruined by a few set on destruction. I don't see those cities letting it get them down so neither should we. People see the policing issue as (rightly) a national one.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:50 pm
I was in Midtown this evening dropping my wife off for class, so I looped through the West End and U. City. The damage along Euclid is noticeable, but only just. I saw perhaps three or four business with broken windows, but it wasn't too concentrated. You wouldn't know it was related to protests if someone didn't tell you. Probably wouldn't think a second thing about it. The West End being large, there's quite possibly more that I didn't see. I didn't go past the mayor's residence, but I went along Euclid from Lindell to Delmar and Maryland from Euclid out to Kingshighway, which I believe is where the worst of it was supposed to be. The damage in U. City was apparent, but much less than described. I counted fourteen businesses with broken windows. Most were right at the corner immediately west of Blueberry Hill. If you went no further than the Tivoli you might well not know anything at all had happened, since there was only one business city side with damage that might have been related. If you keep going west you'll see it, but it's not serious and I'd guess it will be cleaned entirely up in a week or two as the glass companies get the inventory in. There might be a little more, but the Loop is compact enough I'd bet I saw most and maybe all of it. I didn't go downtown, since it was out of my way, but in such a comparatively large area I bet you can't even tell anything happened unless you really know where to look. So this seems to amount to a few dozen windows. Which probably won't cost the insurance companies much more than a couple of new cars totaled in an accident. Of which we have several any given weekend. Strictly guessing there. I'm no adjustor. But I'll bet this isn't even a blip from a financial perspective . . . unless it's your window. Which sucks. But you get over it. (I've had a car totaled out from under me. And I've had some windows broken. As often in Wentzville as in Midtown and with less reason It's frustrating, but you get over it, if that's all it is.)

It increasingly sounds like all of this happens when the police start trying to aggressively disperse the stragglers. From public streets. In business districts. I've heard no declarations of curfews, so on what basis are they dispersing crowds? They don't do that after baseball games or the VP fair. (And it often takes quite some time for folks to clear out.) So I'm inclined to think they bear some very real share of the responsibility. From all I've heard their tactics have been . . . less than friendly. They look more like an occupying army than the national guard troops. (Who aren't wearing kevlar. Just Desert Storm era fatigues and utility hats. Which maybe gives them away as actual soldiers. They know this isn't a battle. This is nothing. They look . . . bored. And slightly damp tonight. I actually kind of feel sorry for them. They probably have better things to do than stand in front of isolated fire stations.)

Of course, not all of the early reports spun it that way, as the police got their version of events out first. (Naturally.) And some media outlets really get off on anger and violence. (Maybe all those with moving pictures. Slow stories, like marches, work better in still photographs and print.)

Anyway, don't believe the hyperbole. Things are mostly okay, save for the very things the protesters are protesting. I have to admit, I respect the logic of taking things to the swank neighborhoods. Gets more attention from people who have power. Wake 'em up. Let 'em know all is not well beyond their fair towers. (Which towers I like, just for the record. Still as always.) And yes, it does, at least, give the media a different look at St. Louis. Which is kind of nice. A little bonus. Hopefully this continues in its current relatively visible, but mostly harmless fashion until someone actually notices and maybe fixes something. (Like maybe appointing a police chief with enough courage and responsibility to engage his community rather than pretending to occupy it. I have to say, the current fellow is not impressing me with his acumen or diplomacy.)
OMG I love you.
If you see an NFL franchise as just another asset to be maximized and squeezed for every dime, being good at football — i.e. producing a good product — doesn’t matter. It’s not even rational to put effort towards anything but “value creation,” i.e. shuffling around pieces of the franchise until they sit in the most profitable positions. The Rams doubled their value overnight by leaving St. Louis and moving to L.A. They are a miserable football team run by a despised owner playing in an empty stadium, but the Rams could care less. The fourth most valuable team in the NFL sucks by design, and shines bright enough on the balance sheet to eliminate any real concerns about how bad the product is on the field.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/9/19/1631 ... ners-money
We are the second most dangerous city behind...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE...

Detroit. At least we went down a spot on the violent crime list. Probably will be back on top next year.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/09/26 ... rous-city/
Ferguson Is Undermining Jeff Sessions’ Argument Against DOJ-Led Police Reform
The Trump administration doesn’t think the Justice Department should investigate local police departments. But in Ferguson, there’s “light at the end of that tunnel.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fe ... mg00000009
^ great read.
MEI 2017: See Your City’s Score
https://www.hrc.org/resources/mei-2017- ... itys-score

Jesus Christ. Kansas City needs to get a hobby, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's gotta be tough being the Lil brother in the state.

Kinda like Pittsburgh bragging about not being philly. We all know who the heavy hitter really is

It's sad that they have to belittle us to make themselves feel important.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Where did you find this?

Lets see 11 world Championships to their 1
We're the nations #1 baseball city once again
We're a fantastic Hockey town and are in the top 10 best hockey cities in the country
we have 10 fortune 500 companies to what there 1?
We have one of the worlds best urban parks
We have one of the worlds best zoo's
We have the worlds most beautiful monument
We have some of the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the country
1 of few cities thats mostly all brick
We're on the confluence of the 2 most powerful rivers in North America
We have great bbq too
We still attain 1 NFL championship
We still attain 1 NBA championship
We have light rail
Way better city flag
We have a decent sized blue collar African American community
Our downtown has come a long ways and is slowly on the upswing
We could easily be billed beer capitol of america
We're easily murder capitol of america :lol:
Anyways St.Louis has a lot more to offer overall

Not saying Kansas City doesn't have its plus's i commend them on their downtown which has gone through a tremendous renaissance however they never had a true recession like St.Louis bar no excuses St.Louis has had a lot taken away and still find ways to comeback.
St.Louis by far is one of americas most resilient cities but never gets recognized for it
Even with a embattled city, St.Louis has way more character than Kansas City

I know we St.Louisan's know what we need to fix we don't need a city over 200 miles away or any city telling us that!
Worry about your own problems.
Chalupas54 wrote:

where is this from? the Star?
urban_dilettante wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:

Yes. Outrageous honestly. I would love for the Post Dispatch to put a “Kansas City- America’s cowtown” in the paper tomorrow.

Anyone who is familiar with both cities will tell you that St. Louis is much more urban, more historically and culturally significant, and more metropolitan than Kansas City. Kansas Citians know this (whether they admit it or not), and this article is proof that they merely suffer from Little D**k Syndrome.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 pm
urban_dilettante wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:

Yes. Outrageous honestly. I would love for the Post Dispatch to put a “Kansas City- America’s cowtown” in the paper tomorrow.

oh... it must be an editorial related to the Hyperloop nonsense. they're just pissed b/c we have a waaaaaaay better chance of landing Amazon than they do.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 pm
urban_dilettante wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:

Need a hyperloop from STL to KC cause noone flys to KC's terrible airport anymore.
What Do States Have Against Cities, Anyway?

http://www.governing.com/columns/assess ... ities.html

Take Pennsylvania, for example. In the legislature there, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have long suffered not so much because the rest of the state dislikes them but because they dislike each other. Much of the dysfunction that has gripped Harrisburg in recent years is traceable to the inability of the state’s two biggest cities to reach common ground, or even work together. Something similar might be said about the inability of St. Louis and Kansas City to cooperate in the Missouri General Assembly.
WSJ: Campaign Asks If St. Louis Area Really Needs 91 Local Governments

https://www.wsj.com/articles/campaign-a ... 1509710401
^ except that the st. louis region is not losing population. lazy reporting in the first sentence: "well, it's the st. louis region so surely it must be losing population. i'll just go with that."
^ technically the entire region did lose population last year. at least according to the Census estimates. However, there has been a small uptick since 2010 which I think would be a better measure. But then again if we zoom down to STL City + STL County, where the consolidation talk is, there has been a continuing loss for some time.
^ right. city and county have lost, but i think most reasonable people would agree that "region" includes the entire MSA. and last year's census estimate vs. decades of (admittedly slow) growth is not, in my mind, sufficient evidence to say that the region is losing population.
With an employment rate at 14.8 and a regional population loss of 65,000 600 homicides yes St.Louis is the ring leader in of everything thats wrong with America "being sarcastic".
I'm beyond tired of lazy uninformative/misleading journalism.
Of course we know St.Louis has too many municipalities too many duplicate governments the crime has been through the roof past 2 years a very small regional population loss and a unemployment rate of 3.7%
Please tell us something that we don't already know here :roll:
If the region did indeed lose population last year I would expect it to have come from the metro east. Illinois is not doing wel it may lose 50,000 residents this decade.
BellaVilla wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 am
If the region did indeed lose population last year I would expect it to have come from the metro east. Illinois is not doing wel it may lose 50,000 residents this decade.
In fairness, any population loss is bad- regardless of where it's from.

Personally, I still don't believe STL posted losses last year. Mainly coming from realtor sources across the region who have said houses have been selling faster than normal, and that most buyers are not from the Metro. Not scientific, but they all said they would be 'shocked' to learn if the region posted losses.