St. Louis in the National Media

St. Louis references in the news. Oh yeah, don't forget our favorite "Top Lists."
First unread post1383 posts
NM
leeharveyawesome wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:42 am
I'm all for modernizing the sewer and water system but that sewer bill is rough.
From the article it sounds like the city really didn't have a choice, though. If the EPA'd had its way the bill would've been even higher. What pisses me off more is that the city doesn't force owners of large impermeable surfaces to pay in proportion to their storm water contribution.
The Economist: How St. Louis became America's chess capital.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economis ... fsrc=gnews
^Boy, that first paragraph is brutal.
framer wrote:^Boy, that first paragraph is brutal.
Ooh..I have to spit some dirt out of my mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
god forbid anybody write anything about St. Louis that doesn't begin with a laundry list of the city's problems. wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that this place isn't a total sh*t hole.
"How could the city be declared the US chess capital in 2013 despite riots in 2014?" -- A very dumb article
Yeah St.Louis is the biggest sh*t hole in america despite Detroit declaring bankruptcy several years ago despite Cleveland losing nearly losing more than half of its population, despite high praise and accolades Pittsburgh seems to get, it still can't keep its population from dropping, despite Chicago hiding its high murder rate from the rest of the country and being the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state, despite Buffalo seeing some energy and progress its population continues to decline just as rapidly as many others and i could go on and on. Yeah we all know St.Louis isn't Austin Portland Minneapolis Denver Omaha Nashville Dallas Seattle some of the whitest cities in this country that get touted for diversity however theres nothing diverse about.St.Louis is a city that takes pride it what it has and what it had rehashing the past is educational sadly its yesterdays news and we don't need to be constantly reminded on what we had back then and to be honest its tacky and downright getting on my nerves yes who doesn't know St.Louis was once a city of 850,000 hosted the olympics worlds fair has arguably the most famous and beautiful monument on the this planet those are some great achievements however what St.Louis achieved back then can be achieved today and in the future..

Fun fact: Did you know Cleveland had a population of over 910,000 and Detroit had a population of 1.8 mil.

Yeah we know theres poverty crime segregation here however this country is virtually the same.. Im beyond done with people trashing this city including the self loathers who continue to live here. If you don't like it here then go be miserable elsewhere cause if you aren't happy here you sure in the hell aren't going to be happy anywhere.
Anyways this article is reckless ignorant and just plain inexcusably stupid..
St.Louis doesn't need relevance or validation from any of these publications who seem to continuously shine the horror scope on how scary we may possibly be.
St.Louis City is mostly all brick and beautiful!
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm
Yeah St.Louis is the biggest sh*t hole in america despite Detroit declaring bankruptcy several years ago despite Cleveland losing nearly losing more than half of its population, despite high praise and accolades Pittsburgh seems to get, it still can't keep its population from dropping, despite Chicago hiding its high murder rate from the rest of the country and being the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state, despite Buffalo seeing some energy and progress its population continues to decline just as rapidly as many others and i could go on and on. Yeah we all know St.Louis isn't Austin Portland Minneapolis Denver Omaha Nashville Dallas Seattle some of the whitest cities in this country that get touted for diversity however theres nothing diverse about.St.Louis is a city that takes pride it what it has and what it had rehashing the past is educational sadly its yesterdays news and we don't need to be constantly reminded on what we had back then and to be honest its tacky and downright getting on my nerves yes who doesn't know St.Louis was once a city of 850,000 hosted the olympics worlds fair has arguably the most famous and beautiful monument on the this planet those are some great achievements however what St.Louis achieved back then can be achieved today and in the future..

Fun fact: Did you know Cleveland had a population of over 910,000 and Detroit had a population of 1.8 mil.

Yeah we know theres poverty crime segregation here however this country is virtually the same.. Im beyond done with people trashing this city including the self loathers who continue to live here. If you don't like it here then go be miserable elsewhere cause if you aren't happy here you sure in the hell aren't going to be happy anywhere.
Anyways this article is reckless ignorant and just plain inexcusably stupid..
St.Louis doesn't need relevance or validation from any of these publications who seem to continuously shine the horror scope on how scary we may possibly be.
St.Louis City is mostly all brick and beautiful!
I was thinking the same thing. Every time someone from the "national media" shares something positive about STL, it rarely comes without a strong reminder of how terrible it otherwise is, almost like "yea, this city is a sh*thole, who would have thought that it had [insert something positive]
^National and local media. What I'm discouraged with is sharing all of this great news about high rankings on good lists, figures on startups, well being, parks etc and people just gloss over them to focus on the negative. I can name figure after figure of how we're actually doing pretty well but the local psyche just doesn't support that and that's the most disheartening. I've been (and grew up) in cities with much less going for it but the collective excitement and support is so much stronger and positive.
did anyone happen to catch Jamie Allman's retardedly simplistic analysis of our gun violence the other night on the Allman Report? the gist was: gun ownership is higher in the county + the rate of gun violence is lower in the county ---> guns have nothing to do with it! exactly what suburban gun owners want to hear! imagine that!
urban_dilettante wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm
god forbid anybody write anything about St. Louis that doesn't begin with a laundry list of the city's problems. wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that this place isn't a total sh*t hole.
These kinds of stories can be frustrating but it comes with the territory... we can't run from Ferguson or having the highest homicide rate in the nation, Neither can Baltimore escape its bad turn.,, I just saw an article "Can Baltimore Be Saved?" Even Detroit is still getting the treatment despite the comeback stories but in a different way... "yeah, Detroit is getting X Y or Z but is it neglecting the poor neighborhoods?" Anyway, it'll be around for awhile and take more good things and time before things change.
^ sure. not saying we don't need to deal with the issues raised. just lamenting how the media selects a handful of places to beat down continuously even when it's not appropriate or pertinent to the story at hand. i honestly think the persistent negative attention compounds our problems by driving people away more than it helps by keeping us focused on them.
We made the front web page of the LA Times.

http://lat.ms/2qAFjgH

And of course the only other of the "handful of similar incidents" they report was also in St. Louis. In 1965. Thanks LA! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Geeze!
Brookings Institute wrote a nice piece on http://globalstl.org/ and their efforts in landing several Israeli tech companies and how we fair as an "American Middleweight" city - and managed to do it without the need of reminding the reader of our problems - lots of good links in the article -

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-aven ... l-economy/
"American Middleweight"...I like it.
I don't know if this recent article has been posted, but it is a great article from the Minnesota Star Tribune (Minneapolis) about the magnificent world chess scene in St. Louis.

It is far less depressing and tepid than the conservative The Economist's recent article on the same subject.

http://www.startribune.com/midwest-is-k ... 419723883/
How the Midwest went from the idealized to the derided
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... 6a6a0f62eb
Thank you hebeters2. That's a darned interesting reading list.
Not bad!

Global Startup Ecosystem 2017

http://d1i53wesras4r4.cloudfront.net/re ... rt2017.pdf
^ interesting. this part is a little worrisome:

On one hand the ecosystem has an outperforming
exit sub factor, but on the other hand, a relatively low number of
active startups and valuations. Their Early-Stage Funding growth
outperforms their overall performance, which could support the
prediction of comparably strong ecosystem development through
attraction of new startups to the region.
i think it highlights the difficulty in convincing prospective entrepreneurs that St. Louis is a place worth being in.
Not sure if anyone has seen it, but the new Volkswagen advertisement titled "Atlas" features St Louis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like we make into two VW Atlas commercials at least briefly: the "Coast to Coast" and "America." Might well be others. Seems like a long series.
Forest Park made Fodor's list of the 15 most beautiful city parks in the world.

http://www.fodors.com/news/photos/world ... r#!1-intro