Saint Louis Attractions

Got the skinny on upcoming events and fun things to do? Don't be shy...
There's been a good discussion on attractions in the KCK thread and I thought it would be good to start a new thread focused on area attractions and what might be nice to land in the future.... LEGOLAND Theme Park? Aquarium on the riverfront or Zoo South?

Also, I was hoping to find a list of the top attractions in the region by attendance but I've come up empty on reliable figures after a quick search.... if anyone has a link that would be great! Zoo and Cards have to be towards the top. Anyway, a top ten or something would be interesting to know.
I go to aquariums wherever I travel, but I don't think St. Louis can support a world-class aquarium. Not that this is the only indicator of potential success or failure, but most of the great aquariums I've been to tend to highlight large local species or ecosystems (sharks, dugongs, whale sharks, etc.) We don't really have those.

Also, admissions to aquariums are pricey by necessity, upwards of $35 to $40 or more per person. Are we a big enough regional draw - in particular of people willing to pay those kinds of prices?

The zoo used to have a small, but really cool, aquatic house that had a reef exhibit, housed beside the penguins. Some of it moved to the Living World, and then that was closed to make room for empty space.

I think a reasonably-sized aquarium exhibit at the zoo has a lot of potential (How about where the old sea lion arena is?)

Lego Land might be interesting. But I'm not well-versed - aren't there, like, lots of Lego Lands now? I used to think of Bass Pro as being this big mecca that brought people from all around, especially when the only one was in Springfield. As they propagated to other places, each one seemed to become less 'special'. Not sure if that would be the case with Lego Land.

I don't know if I have great ideas of what could be a totally unique attraction. One thing I've pondered is having a huge, climate controlled scuba training facility (like Nemo33 in Brussels, but larger and with more variety). It could be used for deep water training, wreck penetration training, industrial applications. Probably an economic loser but it sure would be unique.
^ I look forward to googling what dugongs are.... I never heard of them before. Great question about how high admissions fees could go in Saint Louis with our freebie reputation.... not counting sports venues, would Six Flags maybe be at the top so far?

As for LEGOLAND. KC has one of the smaller, more retail-ish attractions that are becoming more common but there currently is only one LEGOLAND theme park in the US.... an LL theme park was part of the discussions in separate proposals a few years ago in Metro East and it looks like the U.K.-based operator is looking to expand.
ah, yes, the dugong, just one of 4 living species of the order Sirenia!

Yes, I can't think of a higher priced attraction than Six Flags. That was my reference point when thinking about the aquarium...would families view going to the aquarium as an equal trade-off to visiting Six Flags and water park? Then again, there's six months out of the year when Six Flags isn't open.
bprop wrote:
I go to aquariums wherever I travel, but I don't think St. Louis can support a world-class aquarium. Not that this is the only indicator of potential success or failure, but most of the great aquariums I've been to tend to highlight large local species or ecosystems (sharks, dugongs, whale sharks, etc.) We don't really have those.

I guess we could show off these local prehistoric beasts but then there'd be people in jail. Would you say Shedd and Georgia Aquas are exceptions to your observation?
I do think that the Georgia Aquarium is an exception (and actually the one reason I had the disclaimer on the first post - it's one of my favorites).

Chicago, yes but less so, mainly because even though it's on a freshwater lake, the whole area surrounding Shedd is so water-centric. If you squint you're on one of the coasts.

Of course, huge cities can also support aquariums regardless of location. London comes to mind there.

There are a bunch of aquariums branded with the "Sea Life" name (including London) that I think are varying levels of middling, even some in world-class coastal cities like Sydney. They are marketers first and foremost. Maybe they could do something in St. Louis. But it would be expensive to attend and run of the mill.