Fair St. Louis

Got the skinny on upcoming events and fun things to do? Don't be shy...
best post ever
leeharveyawesome wrote:
While you were rocking that Foreigner cassette in the late 80s I was probably at a Public Enemy show. Prince is my favorite too! Well, the early stuff anyway.

Actually, I still rock Foreigner and Prince via Spotify and on my playlists, while on this board you attack and generalize blacks with your words like we are public enemy.

leeharveyawesome wrote:
I guess that makes us practically brothers.

Oh so now we are brothers? Does that make "race card" playing Tishaura Jones your sister now?

Only in Christ, my brother. Because you sure do have an interesting way of being a "brother".

leeharveyawesome wrote:
Anyway, have a nice weekend.

You too. Keep Fighting The Power within!
The last coupla pages of this thread are so St. Louis. Which, coincidentally, likely wouldn't have been played on the main stage last weekend.

-RBB
apparently the out-of-town organizers of this past weekend's Kinfolks Festival did a terrible job on logistics (40 minutes or more b/w acts. no trash services, etc.) , but it looks like they sure drew a lot of people:

I wonder how many came and comparison to the main stage acts at Fair Saint Louis.
Someone posted pictures on Facebook showing unbelievable amounts of trash left behind. And here's a dreadful review of the show from the Post:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/m ... a706a.html
I was wondering about the trash and crap. Lots of fencing left up through Monday, booze and beer bottles were everywhere.
stlhistory wrote:
I was wondering about the trash and crap. Lots of fencing left up through Monday, booze and beer bottles were everywhere.

Seems like the promoters took the money and ran.
You mean this? Posted by a Michael Defilippo on FB.

moorlander wrote:

This is why we can't have nice things.
At fair St. Louis the MC requested everyone pick up trash on their way out. That kind of reminder is helpful. I saw many people reach down and pick something up.
Let's keep in mind this is almost entirely the promoters fault, not the festival-goers as there quickly was no place to deposit trash.... and they never had arrangements in place for clean-up. It was supposed to be the company that does the Fair and a lot of City Park events but the promoters backed out.... the company came in on Monday on their own to keep good relations with the City. It looks like the promoters won't be allowed back.
So is the El Monstero show the next big event for Art Hill or is there something else scheduled between now and then?
Sounds like the promoters and organizers were overwhelmed with this year's turnout to the festival.

Last year, it was held in Chesterfield at the Amphitheater and it was the first time the festival was held in metro St. Louis. Also, last year a lot of people either didn't know about the festival or they didn't want to drive out to Chesterfield. Plus, last year's acts were pretty tame......Gladys Knight, Peabo Bryson, etc.

There were no problems. The festival came then went on to the next city.

This year's acts were hard to miss.

Either way, the Oklahoma promoters sound like some really poor promoters and business people. I'd love to hear their side of things.

In regards to the trash, whenever and wherever there's a big festival there's going to be trash. The problem, however, is when promoters fail to have contractors clean up as promised.
dweebe wrote:
moorlander wrote:

To me, it really isn't that serious. There was no trouble other than trash. The trash is gone now.

Art Hill has had a rough few weeks with festivals, but it'll be green in no time with a little feed and patch re-sodding.

Next year, if the festival is held in Forest Park, you can be sure that park officials will be making sure organizers are more accountable BEFORE the start of the festival.
arch city wrote:
dweebe wrote:
moorlander wrote:

To me, it really isn't that serious. There was no trouble other than trash. The trash is gone.

Art Hill has had a rough few weeks with festivals, but it'll be green in no time with a little feed and patch re-sodding.

Next year, if the festival is held in Forest Park, you can be sure that park officials will be making sure organizers are more accountable BEFORE the start of the festival.

I'm guessing:
-the El Monstero people will be warned and on a short leash
-anyone booked in the future will have to submit a trash clearing plan along with pre-paying the cleaning fee
dweebe wrote:
I'm guessing:
-the El Monstero people will be warned and on a short leash
-anyone booked in the future will have to submit a trash clearing plan along with pre-paying the cleaning fee.

LOL! One event obviously can mess up things for others. I don't mind short leashes. Don't f*** up one of St. Louis' greatest assets. :evil: While large festivals will have lingering trash, people need to take their trash with them or place it in receptacles as they leave. I never leave trash at the movie theater, concerts etc........well....maybe when I was a kid or teen. But not as an adult. :P

As long as it is done fairly across the board, I also like the idea of verifying a trash removal contractor has been obtained and paid for knowing full well all responsibilities BEFORE an event starts.
5 days and 175,000 concert-goers will get you this!

Glastonbury Festival
Here are some classic NPS photos from 1982 VP Fair:

I'm not positive, but I think this might be me!

"Soul Food Festival no Longer Welcome in Forest Park":

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... b7211.html
I am so freaking uncomfortable by the last couple pages of this thread.
Why? Is this crap new to you?