Concerts

Got the skinny on upcoming events and fun things to do? Don't be shy...
so Metallica has also been announced for Busch Stadium... 2017 is shaping up to be a pretty big concert year but man it seems more like the 80s or 90s than 2017. Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Bell Biv Devoe... that's just the B's!
Sounds great! I'm in because of Metallica. Though I associate 80's more with Queen and INXS. I'm fond of usage of synthesisers, with synth-pop music.
It's a great year for concerts

Metallica
Guns N Roses
Def Leppard
Poison
Bon Jovi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I missed the Fair St Louis concert announcement last week.

http://www.fairsaintlouis.org/fair-sain ... nt-lineup/

Sunday - AKON
Monday- Eve 6, Sister Hazel, 3 Doors Down
Tuesday - Dan and Shay, Jake Owen
downtown2007 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 am
It's a great year for concerts

Metallica
Guns N Roses
Def Leppard
Poison
Bon Jovi

What's a great year? 1993?

:D

-RBB
Would you rather see Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and Eric Church?

downtown2007 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:48 am
Would you rather see Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, and Eric Church?

Just some light-hearted teasing at the age of the bands, for the record, ^ no. I'm all for old-school rock.

But I wouldn't mind some (or in some cases some more of) The Black Keys/The Arcs, Nick Murphy, Gary Clark Jr, Jack Garratt, John Legend, Chris Stapleton. etc...

-RBB
Curious if anyone has any thoughts on what newer acts can fill Busch Stadium or the Dome? Can Taylor Swift fill Busch or would she be at Scottrade? Beyonce played the dome last year, I believe, but I wouldn't call her a newer act. IIRC Jonas Brothers played Edward Jones Dome a few years back. No recent shows this size are coming to mind for newer acts.
Loufest to announce first wave of artists May 11. Any guesses?
I'd say Swift is an arena act. A decent one as they go. I actually enjoyed her show quite a lot more than most country acts I've worked, actually. But . . . she's somewhat local, is she not? Belleville or something? Maybe she could do better locally.

There's an argument that music has diversified too much in the age of the internet for bands to develop a stadium grade following in the way they once did. And frankly, I think that's a good thing. Variety is good, and theatre shows are so very very much better than arena and stadium shows, in my humble opinion. Apart from Lady Gaga or Beyonce I'm not sure what newer act could really fill the stadium. And hits of that size are . . . increasingly few and far between. And probably more fleeting, as well. Could Gaga still fill a stadium?

On the other hand, I wouldn't have thought Pistols n' Posies, Poison, Def Leopard, or Jon Bon could fill a stadium either, so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask. Even Metalica sounds like a dicey prospect to me. Stadia are for bands like the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd, right? Nobody much smaller than that. Hell, the Stones didn't even actually fill the stadium when I worked 'em. (In Columbia, mind. Which might have possibly had something to do with it.)
Guns N Roses sold out most all of their dates in their first leg on the North American tour. Fell shy of sell outs is some of the mid markets. They sold more tickets than anybody in 2016. They are certainly a stadium act.

Def Leppard and Poison fit well with an arena or riverport.

Last tour Foo Fighters played mostly stadiums except for St. Louis. Couldplay also did a lot of stadiums on their last tour but played a sold out Scottrade Center. U2 has now skipped St. Louis the last two tours.
Pointfest has been cancelled (obviously).
symphonicpoet wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 1:27 am
But . . . she's somewhat local, is she not? Belleville or something? Maybe she could do better locally.
Taylor Swift is from PA.
Are you thinking Carrie Underwood? She's from Oklahoma and had her American Idol audition in St. Louis.
shadrach wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm
symphonicpoet wrote:
But . . . she's somewhat local, is she not? Belleville or something? Maybe she could do better locally.
Taylor Swift is from PA.
Are you thinking Carrie Underwood? She's from Oklahoma and had her American Idol audition in St. Louis.
Ah, I don't know who I'm thinking of. It was a country act I worked years ago and someone said over headsets she was from the metro east. Probably an opening act, now that I think of it. I've worked too many shows. With a very few exceptions they're all starting to run together.
symphonicpoet wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:24 am
shadrach wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 1:17 pm
symphonicpoet wrote:
Taylor Swift is from PA.
Ah, I don't know who I'm thinking of. It was a country act I worked years ago and someone said over headsets she was from the metro east. Probably an opening act, now that I think of it. I've worked too many shows. With a very few exceptions they're all starting to run together.
Im upset I know this, but you're probably thinking of Gretchen Wlison. I think shes from Pocahontas, IL..
I think you just may be right. I recall her covering Led Zeppelin, among other improbable things. Which endeared her to me among all the country acts I've worked. It was a strange show.