How St. Louis became a tech town

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
Very encouraging perspective. Glad you posted this!
Great article. I hope Aaron Perlut never leaves St. Louis.

A humorous line:

"Regardless, for many years the perception from outside of St. Louis was of a nice, conservative Midwest town, possibly waiting for a rebirth of the industrial revolution."
The article is great and the perspective of the author is encouraging. It's always nice to see positive press about St. Louis like this- thanks for sharing!
St. Louis has been historically known as a liberal city, not conservative.
jcity wrote:
St. Louis has been historically known as a liberal city, not conservative.

Maybe because it's surrounded by Central Missouri and Southern Illinois.

I'd say by most cities' standards it's pretty dang conservative.
The city itself is quite liberal politically, whether looking at presidential elections, LGBT issues, etc. It's much more liberal than say, Cincinnati or any city south of that.
I could be wrong, but I interpreted 'conservative' in a non-political sense. St. Louis is an old-money, old-school, socially conservative place, although that perception is changing as well.

Politically, I'd say the city is quite liberal in every sense, St. Louis County is increasingly so, and there are other nearby counties like Jefferson and Ste. Genevieve that are split pretty much down the middle, or at least they were in the last several elections. West St. Louis County and St. Charles County are easily the most politically conservative portions of our region, and then the state is more and more conservative the further you go down Interstates 44 or 55.
^ right.
I should clarify, I was referring to the metro area, not just the city proper, which is of course consistently left of center. And OBVIOUSLY we're less conservative than Cincinnati, half of whose metro area is in Kentucky, or anywhere else in the south... except for maybe places like Austin, TX? I don't know about that one, never been there.
More of Wash-U's tech grads are staying in St. Louis -

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... e3a79.html
I agree with what many have said above. Just read the book, Lion in the Valley, the city wasnt historically known for being conservative, politically or otherwise. It also dispells the railroads myth. Anyway, back on track, it's great to see more tech grads staying here.
jcity wrote:
I agree with what many have said above. Just read the book, Lion in the Valley, the city wasnt historically known for being conservative, politically or otherwise. It also dispells the railroads myth.

Could you elaborate on the railroad myth?
threeonefour wrote:
I could be wrong, but I interpreted 'conservative' in a non-political sense. St. Louis is an old-money, old-school, socially conservative place, although that perception is changing as well.

Politically, I'd say the city is quite liberal in every sense, St. Louis County is increasingly so, and there are other nearby counties like Jefferson and Ste. Genevieve that are split pretty much down the middle, or at least they were in the last several elections. West St. Louis County and St. Charles County are easily the most politically conservative portions of our region, and then the state is more and more conservative the further you go down Interstates 44 or 55.

I want to point out that up here in Washington (arguably the most liberal state in the Union), most people have told me they think of St. Louis as a far-left city.

St. Louis is a gay-friendly city. In addition, our new, less strict marijuana laws kick in June 1st. The city is being praised in the marijuana legalization community for taking this big step. We're also the #3 city for urban farming after Seattle and Portland. I should also point out that as far as public transportation is concerned, we're far ahead of Seattle in light-rail. Plus we're getting those streetcars. Anyway, these are only a few small examples to back up what you were saying about where STL leans politically, but there are many more as well.