CORTEX: St. Louis' Life Sciences and Technology District

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post1476 posts
^^ aside from the Koman development, my bet is that Duncan parcel fronting the garage you mention and the cortex 1 parking lot will be the next two buildings to proceed, but if Square does vacate cortex that might change what gets built when and where a bit.... e.g. If Koman starts and gets some commitments and Square leaves they might focus on moving residential ahead of more office.

And back to the map, I find it extremely interesting that what appears to be the Goodwill and Legal Services of ESMO buildings are highlighted.... I've long thought we might see those purchased by cortex. Also interesting was the parking lot serving CET on the north side of Forest Park Ave. Also it's interesting what's not highlighted, particularly the newly paved lot by IKEA -- I guess that will be there for awhile even though that was the early focus of mixed-use -- and the infamous Target parcel.
Null
Definitely a visible signage spot for whoever leases space in that building. You have to think Cartwheel is a likely tenant with their logo appearing on the rendering. Logos for real companies don't often appear on renderings unless there is a LOI/Lease or they are trying to hook them in. Leasing should be relatively easy here with the demand for space in the existing buildings seemingly exceeding supply. That's a decently good looking building in an important spot. I only wish it would end up a little taller. No need to be too greedy, but 7-8 floors would look good here.
^ Agreed. Another floor or two (or three) would be great. Even as is this is going to make a big statement from the highway though.

Really like the CORTEX sign too, reminds of the ZOO sign along 40.
At the request of Koman, the Cartwheel logo rendering was taken down. Instead, here is a different rendering with placeholders.

Curious if Dennis Lower, CORTEX CEO, had any tidbits to offer as per his interview in his Biz Journals interview and subsequent plan to step down after 25 years in the biz of developing research parks

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... s_headline
^ besides seeing the current construction finished off, it says he hopes to get the next planned Wexford project approved and as close to construction as possible... I think this is the Duncan office/lab that will front the new garage under construction.

It also says he hopes to advance the Koman office building and the Cortex residential project, which I think may be slated for the Cortex One parking lot infill. And finally boosting staff capacity, especially on national business development.
Any rumblings about what’s slated to go on the empty parcel on the NW corner of Forest Park Pkwy & Vandeventer, and when? When I chatted briefly with Dennis Lower several years ago, he said they were holding out for something worthy of the prominent corner. That land has been vacant way too long.
^ appears that the lot isn't in any serious planning stage... it wasn't on the most recent planning map. (See my comment at very top of this page.)

If it isn't going to be developed anytime soon perhaps they can have an interim use such as "The Alex Ihnen Memorial Dog Park Presented by Target. "
While funny, I recall that he had serious reservations with having that story published on NextSTL as he was pushing to have the info confirmed first. In general he really tried to hold back on stories that couldn't be sourced and confirmed by multiple sources, but that one slipped through.

It's a good reminder that sometimes the juiciest stories don't always need to be immediately published or released. It's always better to make sure your information is correct or at least you feel comfortable taking the hit if it turns out it isn't. I sincerely believe there was smoke to the story at the time, but it did cause some issues with other connections and relationships that they used.
STLrainbow wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:57 am
^ besides seeing the current construction finished off, it says he hopes to get the next planned Wexford project approved and as close to construction as possible... I think this is the Duncan office/lab that will front the new garage under construction.

It also says he hopes to advance the Koman office building and the Cortex residential project, which I think may be slated for the Cortex One parking lot infill. And finally boosting staff capacity, especially on national business development.
Thanks, it would another good year if Wexford and Koman can break ground on their buildings at same time a residential mixed use comes together for infill next to Cortex One
chaifetz10 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 pm
While funny, I recall that he had serious reservations with having that story published on NextSTL as he was pushing to have the info confirmed first. In general he really tried to hold back on stories that couldn't be sourced and confirmed by multiple sources, but that one slipped through.

It's a good reminder that sometimes the juiciest stories don't always need to be immediately published or released. It's always better to make sure your information is correct or at least you feel comfortable taking the hit if it turns out it isn't. I sincerely believe there was smoke to the story at the time, but it did cause some issues with other connections and relationships that they used.
What story are you talking about?
^ target coming to the Cortex lot across from IKEA... Alex received a lot of grief for that story.
STLrainbow wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 pm
^ target coming to the Cortex lot across from IKEA... Alex received a lot of grief for that story.
Just to be clear, he didn't write the story, one of his contributors did. But as stated, he, as editor-in-chief of nextstl, "let it slip through."
Not really sure where to put this but a recent Business Journal article said Gioia's is looking to open a location in the Crescent Building.
That's awesome!
Wash U. is planning a $300-million neuroscience research building just west of the Crescent Building. It is to be on the corners of Duncan and Newstead Avenues.

If McCarthy is building this, it's going to be huge - I think.

I just hope it's highly modern and not a play on the past.

Washington University planning $300M Cortex project
Collegiate Gothic works well on their main campus, but I'm sure they'll go modern in Cortex.
Just to give a little context.........Mid-Campus Center - completed early 2017 - was 500,000 square feet, 12-stories @ $100-million.

Here's the intersection where the building would go.
Does this replace the previously planned medical building at Taylor and Forest Park Blvd?
arch city wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 pm
Just to give a little context.........Mid-Campus Center - completed early 2017 - was 500,000 square feet, 12-stories @ $100-million.

Here's the intersection where the building would go.
Solid. Within the past month a couple of one-story buildings on the north side of Duncan across from the site were leveled and cleared. They're the ones on the left corner of your Google Maps pic. It wouldn't surprise me if these buildings were cleared in support of this new development.

Meanwhile... $300MM neuroscience center in Cortex! Catty-corner to the McDonnell Genome Institute! Huge announcement. I've been waiting on renderings for 4200 Duncan to break, and this is likely double that future investment.
framer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:39 pm
Collegiate Gothic works well on their main campus, but I'm sure they'll go modern in Cortex.
I would agree. Washington University (and BJC for that matter) have taken a pretty modern aesthetic for their Medical Center campus and I would expect the same here. Having said that, the Collegiate Gothic buildings, even the new ones built in the last few years, are outstandingly well done on the Hilltop Campus.
Great news.
I hope they can avoid another parking garage facing Metrolink
arch city wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Wash U. is planning a $300-million neuroscience research building just west of the Crescent Building. It is to be on the corners of Duncan and Newstead Avenues.

If McCarthy is building this, it's going to be huge - I think.

I just hope it's highly modern and not a play on the past.

Washington University planning $300M Cortex project
arch city wrote: Just to give a little context.........Mid-Campus Center - completed early 2017 - was 500,000 square feet, 12-stories @ $100-million.
I'm skeptical of this one. I want an eye-catching design to give Cortex an iconic tower but I have a feeling it will look like the new hospitals they just built on Kingshighway. The tan colors BJC uses are so dull. The mid Campus center is ok but it is still boring. I know these are medical buildings but we can push the limits a little bit. With $300 Million, they'll have to screw up big time in design to waste that much.
300 mil is a lot of doh to blow on something dull. Me thinks this will have a good design possibly signature. I’m more curious on how many floors 10,15, 20??