CORTEX: St. Louis' Life Sciences and Technology District

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post1380 posts
Fwiw, the empty lots to the west of IKEA, between FPP and Duncan, to the east of Sarah have been getting some TLC. Looks like they've just leveled it all and will be making it into a nicer parking lot for the time being. Obviously I'm hopeful for residential to go here eventually, but cleaning up the old lots is a small step forward.
chaifetz10 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:25 pm
Fwiw, the empty lots to the west of IKEA, between FPP and Duncan, to the east of Sarah have been getting some TLC. Looks like they've just leveled it all and will be making it into a nicer parking lot for the time being. Obviously I'm hopeful for residential to go here eventually, but cleaning up the old lots is a small step forward.
This parking lot will likely be serving @4240, 4260 and 4220 Duncan guests while a new parking garage is built. Cortex has been very slow to build this garage and Metrolink is constantly behind schedule so with the new influx of workers coming, they need to do this. If you were here yesterday you would have found the parking lots at their limits with workers, construction crews, and Venture Café guests. I don't think any residential construction will start until the garage is finished. The garage is key to getting the lot north of @4240/east of 4260 (Vicia) to turn into something. The plans involving a garage and housing and retail there keep falling through which says to me whatever is built there will be a very different vision of what they've planned.

There is news on the Aloft Hotel though. I've seen crews doing something there and on July 25 at 9:30 AM a groundbreaking ceremony is scheduled.
15 years ago the Cortex District's only office space was the CET according to the last half of this article it is the price leader in the region: https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 49de4.html

This is great news for the city.

Rents and values are the best surrogates for demand. This demonstrates how focusing on comparative advantage (eds/meds) combined with zoning and planning (form based code and redevelopment plans) can be used to develop a brand people are willing to pay a premium.

Yes economic incentives combined with special taxing districts were used to redefine the districts' tax to service ratio--but once redefined the value to the city and the school district is very significant.
Construction fence (with renderings) is up around the A Loft site. Much dirt is being moved around.
Parking lot at Sarah and Duncan (northeast corner) should open this month. Sidewalks still inaccessible between the lot and 4240, 4220, 4260. Parking garage work next to 4220 is in the early stages with an estimated completion date of March 2019. The last week of July has a groundbreaking and grand opening in the district.