CORTEX: St. Louis' Life Sciences and Technology District

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post1397 posts

wabash wrote:Image

This is turning our far better than I thought it would. I really like the curved corners and the colors they are putting on this.
The color shifting is pretty freaky in person.
Cortex has applied for building permits the past week or so for...

- The Aloft Hotel
- Parking garage next to the 4220 Duncan/Microsoft Building
- Crescent Building

Also, looks like Square will be taking up at least some of the old TechShop space; not sure if this means they'll be staying put in Cortex or if they're still considering downtown.
STLrainbow wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:58 pm
Cortex has applied for building permits the past week or so for...

- The Aloft Hotel
- Parking garage next to the 4220 Duncan/Microsoft Building
- Crescent Building

Also, looks like Square will be taking up at least some of the old TechShop space; not sure if this means they'll be staying put in Cortex or if they're still considering downtown.
I thought Jim McKelvey made a deal to essentially keep the Tech Shop functioning as it had been (albeit a name change, obviously)?
He did say he's saving it, but he's recreating it at a new (undisclosed) building, and the space in Cortex was spoken for a week or so after they announced it would be available.
^ The new iteration of TechShop is going into the old Delmar warehouse near Third Degree that had scooter sales most recently and has one hanging on the exterior. . A permit was applied for just this week so work should begin soon.

Yet another anchor coming to north side of Delmar. This one in Academy n'hood.
^They've been working on the inside for a while now, probably doing clean-out preliminaries.
Any site plan or rendering for the garage? I'm just hoping they build it in a way that it could be wrapped in Apts or have office built on top (with some sort of first floor use). I'm guessing it's the former and praying it's not just a stand alone garage with no opportunity for adaptation.
^ I don't know on that but hopefully so. That Fox Park garage makes me wanna cry. I did lie a bit, though, the permit application is for zoning only (not a building permit quite yet).
STLrainbow wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:24 pm
That Fox Park garage makes me wanna cry.
Fox Theatre? And I guess it has to go through City Hall as a parking garage, not as residential, even if it's designed to be adapted later. Anyway, everyone cross their fingers. When it comes to my optimism and the future of Cortex, this could be the difference between real Urbanism or Auto-centric Office Park that happens to be east of Skinker.
goat314 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:09 pm
“Planning is underway for a new building, very early stages, planning for another tech building, and we also are working with the Coleman group down at the old St. Louis metalizing site, and they are looking at developing an office building, a residential building, and eventually a second office building down there. So those are things that are in the works, we also will be announcing sometime this spring a new residential project in the district,” he says.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/12/29/ ... velopment/

Anyone hear rumblings out there of next phase? At this point you could argue that a lot of what was proposed in the current phase is coming together and a parking structure is a step forward for CORTEX/Wexford to develop another tech building
^ I haven't heard anything on those fronts.
aprice wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm
STLrainbow wrote:
Fox Theatre? And I guess it has to go through City Hall as a parking garage, not as residential, even if it's designed to be adapted later. Anyway, everyone cross their fingers. When it comes to my optimism and the future of Cortex, this could be the difference between real Urbanism or Auto-centric Office Park that happens to be east of Skinker.
sorry, yeah meant Fox's Grand Center garage. I agree that what they have planned for the parking garage will be key; I recall that when they submitted the TIGER grant they didn't have any crap garages on Duncan but I'm not confident that's what we'll get.
Here we go... this is what was submitted to the DOT for the TIGER grant application for the Metrolink station. They said without the station parking would have to be increased.And look at the street wall on north side of Duncan and tall hotel, which we won't be getting.

STLrainbow wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm
^ I haven't heard anything on those fronts.
aprice wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:41 pm
STLrainbow wrote:
sorry, yeah meant Fox's Grand Center garage. I agree that what they have planned for the parking garage will be key; I recall that when they submitted the TIGER grant they didn't have any crap garages on Duncan but I'm not confident that's what we'll get.
Somewhat off topic but...went to see Hamilton this past Sunday and parked in that garage (not my idea) on the 4th floor. When leaving the afternoon show, we sat for I kid you not 25 minutes without moving an inch. We pulled back into the spot and grabbed some food at La Russo's.

Maybe that's a new technique to drum up some business at the restaurants...
STLrainbow wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:54 pm
Here we go... this is what was submitted to the DOT for the TIGER grant application for the Metrolink station. They said without the station parking would have to be increased.And look at the street wall on north side of Duncan and tall hotel, which we won't be getting.

And here's something from 2015 during the Microsoft building

.Looks like maybe the Sarah garage in the TIGER plan was swapped with the building to the west but not sure.That might make some sense considering the Koman investment along Sarah and giving that street more life. Anyway, If the parking garage under zoning review right now is in the back by the tracks leaving room for Duncan fronting office then it might not be so bad. I guess we'll see soon enough.
^ Thanks,

Not quite sure on where the proposed garage having permits pulled is being built. Is it on the other side of Duncan and next/ktty katty to Aloft & without the wrap around apartments? or have the changed plans altogether and building the parking structure within the US Metals site as per the most recent rendering?

On that note, I think CORTEX would be better served if Wexford as per the most recent renderings and Koman could keep their developments strictly to labs/office/tech/jobs within the short walk to new Boyle station even if it means the mixed use will be built a few blocks away from the metrolink station. I think any mix use, residential development within CORTEX will essentially cater to those who will most likely work in the immediate area and if not, having the extra 2-3 block of foot traffic to and from metrolink won't hurt either. Heck, I don't think it would hurt if the proposed Cortex East Tower would change up to a 20 story residential tower and have that built before any 3-5 stick on platform residential goes up in CORTEX
^ the garage zoning only permit application is for 4200 Duncan, the US Metals site. But precisely where on that large parcel remains to be seen. I don't see any permit activity for north side of Duncan other than for the hotel & restaurant.;
^ Thanks,

Interesting, I thought the parking garage going forward was primarily for the Aloft to go through so assumed it would have been the apartment wrap around but without the wrap around for Aloft & made available to Wexford/Microsoft. Now get the impression it is being built primarily for Wexford/Microsoft and maybe Aloft valet is secondary to provide some additional revenues. Hopefully, the garage might mean their is enough confidence to break ground on another tech office, more wet lab space on the US Metals Site or maybe just reading too much into it.
^ I'm really looking forward to hearing more of what they have planned; if it's reflective of the massive garage shown in the earlier modelings I think you're right that more development probably is imminent.
Throwing this rendering up here again because I'm obsessed with it. Except I believe this was intended for the north side of Duncan. And while I'm not usually one to push high dollar apartments, they could make a killing off of these.
stlgasm wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm
Will we see a major tenant announcement for 4220 Duncan soon? lets do some rendering reading....this one shows Aon above Microsoft.
https://twitter.com/Beganovic_85/status ... 1653549058
Not sure if this should go under restaurants or cortex but I'll put it here. I don't think have noticed a post about it.

The 23 City Blocks Hospitality Group, the restaurant organization behind The Caramel Room at Bissinger's and Handcrafted by Bissinger's, plan on opening a new restaurant in the Cortex innovation district.

The group will a 300-person cafe called The Chocolate Pig in the soon-to-open Cortex building to be anchored by Microsoft.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... the-latest
Here's the BizJournal story.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... ortex.html

It contains an ackward last paragraph...

The new developments will be located in the $55 million 4220 building, Cortex's third phase that will be anchored by Microsoft's new regional headquarters and the district's first hotel, Aloft Hotel. The third phase will also feature a 180,000-square-foot technology office facility, a 200-unit apartment building and a 1,000-space parking garage.

Not sure if that's just repeating the old announced plans or means the apartment building will be moving ahead along with a second tech office facilty. Wouldn't doubt the garage is 1,000 spaces.