CORTEX: St. Louis' Life Sciences and Technology District

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post1334 posts
Cortex turns to Midas Hospitality to develop Aloft Hotel - St. Louis Business Journal
Dec. 20th, 2017

After months of speculation over whether the first hotel in the Cortex innovation district might get off the ground, Cortex officials are moving forward on the Aloft Hotel project.

Cortex has turned to Maryland Heights-based Midas Hospitality to develop the $28 million, 129-room hotel, and construction is expected to begin in the second quarter of 2018 with an opening expected in the fall of 2019.

The hotel was part of Cortex’s planned third phase of construction announced in October 2016. The $170 million plan included the hotel along with a 180,000-square-foot technology office facility, a 200-unit apartment building and a 1,000-space parking garage. Developers struggled to put the financing together on the apartment building and parking garage, which were put on hold earlier this year.

The hotel, which operates under the Starwood flag, will feature Aloft’s signature WXYZ entertainment bar on the second floor that includes a glass wall that opens to a balcony overlooking the Cortex Commons.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... aloft.html
Midas is also the developer for the new hotels at Brentwood and Clayton, across from the Armory, and at the old Harry’s site. I’m betting they’re stretched a little thin.
Unless $ magically shows up, I don’t see Cortex housing happening this decade, could be a few years into the next before its done
moorlander wrote:Midas is also the developer for the new hotels at Brentwood and Clayton, across from the Armory, and at the old Harry’s site. I’m betting they’re stretched a little thin.

EDIT: Midas is developing the Aloft at Cortex and the hotel across from the Armory. But it’s Mullenix/Equis that’s developing the Brentwood and Clayton hotel and the Hotelnon the old Harry’s site.

I wonder what effect, if any, Midas joining the Aloft at Cortex team has on the hotel just down the street across from the Armory?
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:33 pm
Unless $ magically shows up, I don’t see Cortex housing happening this decade, could be a few years into the next before its done
With parking structure coming together it seems that the wrap around apartment block seems more doable, easier to finance. but that is an arm chair opinion. My thought is if the new parking structure helps Wexford add square footage & land another anchor tenant or if Koman does the same with a new anchor tenant on their site the better. Having Foundry phase II & a CORTEX Tower East happen would be great. Another way to put it, housing shouldn't be a CORTEX priority IMO. It should be all about jobs

Interesting comment by Moorlander. Is Midas group throwing in its hat with CORTEX and leaving Green Streets or looking to get a leg up with hotel rooms? Believe you got York Ave proposal moving along, hotel on FPP replacing former home for habitat building, Drury out there and who knows if Koplar/Koman/Clayco group still has a heart beat.

At this point it looks like Aloft, York Ave hotel and the FPP realistically are the ones to happen but would love to see full Armory development plan with hotel tower/Grand Ave platform access as proposed & future pedestrian crossing to Foundry come together before Drury ever breaks ground. Maybe Drury gives up on stand alone auto oriented expressway hotel and turns their property over to a developer that can come up with a solid mixed use/single dwelling plan.
Does anyone have a list of all hotel projects planned/under construction? The bump in hotel taxes and fees will be nice to see for the city.

With markets filling up in CWE/Cortex, Midtown, and Downtown, it’s incredible Drury hasn’t pulled the trigger on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
addxb2 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 am
Does anyone have a list of all hotel projects planned/under construction? The bump in hotel taxes and fees will be nice to see for the city.

With markets filling up in CWE/Cortex, Midtown, and Downtown, it’s incredible Drury hasn’t pulled the trigger on anything.

Drury is busy in other markets.
stlien wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am
addxb2 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 am

Drury is busy in other markets.
I'm with addxb2, surprised also, especially with Kingshighway/FPSE location as tipping point seemed to be reached and a number of legit proposals are moving forward when Drury has had property in possession and floated some renderings early on. My believe is Drury will always be busy in other markets consider their size, nationwide presence and the number of hotels/properties they own & have built. Drury wearing the big boy pants is my two cents worth arm chair analysis
A new layer of funkyness is starting to cover the weird green on the Microsoft building.
“Planning is underway for a new building, very early stages, planning for another tech building, and we also are working with the Coleman group down at the old St. Louis metalizing site, and they are looking at developing an office building, a residential building, and eventually a second office building down there. So those are things that are in the works, we also will be announcing sometime this spring a new residential project in the district,” he says.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/12/29/ ... velopment/
goat314 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:09 pm
“Planning is underway for a new building, very early stages, planning for another tech building, and we also are working with the Coleman group down at the old St. Louis metalizing site, and they are looking at developing an office building, a residential building, and eventually a second office building down there. So those are things that are in the works, we also will be announcing sometime this spring a new residential project in the district,” he says.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/12/29/ ... velopment/
I didn't realize the Microsoft space is going to be "Microsoft Midwest"
Anybody else ready to see Cortex build something with a little more height? There is plenty of room now but 10 years from now there is gonna be limited space, especially if they are gonna make it a true mixed use district. Maybe the new residential building will be 7-10 stories.
In its current trajectory CORTEX will not amount to much more than a hyper-branded, car-centric office park. A Westport at the most.

I would totally be okay with them proving me wrong though.
Here's a pic I took circa 2000 of the Boyle/Forest Park Parkway intersection. A lot has changed!

That's heartbreaking.
The kind of human-scaled buildings the entire City was planned around.
Instead we've got impersonal glass with a wide buffer of landscaping to keep pesky people away.

But.....Just think of the short-term jobs created though 🙄
framer wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:08 am
A new layer of funkyness is starting to cover the weird green on the Microsoft building.
I didn't have a chance to stop and look closely as I drove by, but it looked like Roxul, aka stone or mineral wool insulation. Pretty common to see in commercial construction, and becoming more common in homes. It's more fire-resistant, more sound absorptive, and more water resistant than fiberglass (as in absorption, not stopping flow), and easier to install.
jshank83 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:53 pm
I didn't realize the Microsoft space is going to be "Microsoft Midwest"
That's a bit of liberty they took there.... it's a regional office but not a Midwest hq. Minneapolis, Detroit and Chicago have these same operations. But it's still nice and something most cities do not have..
Cortex is a tremendous asset to St.Louis whether Low rise mid rise or hi rise we're so fortunate to have it.. It'll only get more exciting as it matures and progresses but i do hope they focus more on start ups and not poach from Downtown.
Vicia voted 2nd best new restaurant in America:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/d ... e-latest-2
Sounds like Crescent Building is expected to open in 2019.
From NextSTL, plus some interesting history:

https://nextstl.com/2018/01/44-million- ... ing-plant/
So the new microsoft building looks a lot different now... from a distance it looks like a more bred brick-ish appearance.
STLrainbow wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:16 am
So the new microsoft building looks a lot different now... from a distance it looks like a more bred brick-ish appearance.
Pics please!! (and yes, I already stalked your twitter feed to see if you had any there).

The cool color changing metalic panels are pretty sweet.
^ wasn't too close to the building today but I'll try to get some snaps soon.. or hopefully somebody else can.