CORTEX: St. Louis' Life Sciences and Technology District

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post1259 posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^Can we get some context for that rendering?
That building appears to be at the southwest corner of Duncan & Forest Park Parkway. The view is looking toward the southwest, with FPP (and its median) in the foreground.
There should be some of those stupid Ikea flags on the left side of that rendering.
So I guess this is the new garage with some kind of corner apartment building? I hope I'm wrong and that this is a garage wrapped completely in apartments like we've been told several times before. Honestly, I really liked the old garage / apartments renderings. Not that there's anything wrong with this. Good work, Trivers Assoc.
Different projects, I believe. I'm assuming this is a different residential project where as the garage will still be along Duncan to serve @4240, the new office building, and the future hotel. This feels like an updated proposal for the residential RFP along FPP. Hopefully we'll see this and the new parking garage on Duncan move forward soon.
I found this on Trivers website. It didn’t say much about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like we can all cool our jets a bit... it's just a conceptual design.
CORTEX MIXED-USE CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI
CLIENTCONFIDENTIAL

SIZE204 RESIDENTIAL UNITS611 PARKING SPACES61,000 SF (OFFICE)40,000 SF (RETAIL)50,000 SF (INCUBATOR)15,000 SF (AMENITIES)

Trivers Associates provided conceptual design for a mixed-use project located in the Cortex Innovation Community, a vibrant 200-acre innovation hub and technology district in St. Louis' Central West End and Forest Park Southeast neighborhoods. Cortex was formed in 2002 by Washington Univeristy, BJC Healthcare, University of Missouri-St. Louis, St. Louis University and the Missouri Botanical Garden to capture the commercial benefits of university and regional corporate research for St. Louis.
The program includes over 200 residential units, office space, retail and an incubator lab. Amenities include a parking garage, passive courtyard, rooftop garden and pool deck.
So cool picture, no substance or actual plan to build it (at this time).
Good. I didn’t really like it. Seems odd
definitely not in anyone's 5 year outlook for that project.
stlgasm wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 pm
I just really hope this happens. Honestly, there haven't been many Cortex renderings that I haven't gotten super excited for (skimmed over some aloft renderings while searching for this and got all tingly inside) but I think this type of building, with this aesthetic, is what St. Louis needs. I'd prefer it with no parking at all but if we have to build a parking garage, please let it be wrapped in apartments and look like this ^

Holy crap, I just noticed the two-story storefronts and mezzanines. Who designed this model? I want to buy them a beer.
Rode the train through there Thursday and will again tonight. That place is hopping. Lots going on. The ongoing construction adds to the busy.
Is there a running count somewhere of the total number of permanent jobs that have been created through Cortex so far?
Google Mini Home Donut Pop Up being built on Cortex Commons for an event tomorrow (Thursday).
Google ready to announce a Cortex presence? Gonecorporate?
Per Alderman Roddy, looks like there will be some news on the Crescent Building next week.
I see Mark Zuckerberg is in Cortex today also along with the Google Pop up Tour. Not a bad day in Cortex.
I went down there and got one of the Google Homes at the Donut Giveaway and the crescent building had a (construction looking) fence around it. Has it always had that?
pattimagee wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm
I went down there and got one of the Google Homes at the Donut Giveaway and the crescent building had a (construction looking) fence around it. Has it always had that?
Per STLrainbows post: Alderman Roddy tweeted out about it. The tweet says they are starting work on it next week.
jshank83 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 pm
I see Mark Zuckerberg is in Cortex today also along with the Google Pop up Tour. Not a bad day in Cortex.
Nice write up in PD about visit. A thought that came across is Jack Dorsey/Square expanded presence is starting to help connect dots, get recognition for CORTEX. While Google pop up tour is nationwide and Facebook will do a small biz nationwide tour next year it is a plus to have Mark Zuckerberg/Facebook announce in St Louis

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... db8ab.html

Facebook's co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg met with small business owners in the Cortex innovation district in St. Louis on Thursday to announce the new initiative. Zuckerberg is wrapping up a U.S. tour of businesses and other sites this week that's part of his goal to visit all 50 states in 2017.

jshank83 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Per STLrainbows post: Alderman Roddy tweeted out about it. The tweet says they are starting work on it next week.
These will be news on it next week. Big difference.
Cortex targets vacant industrial building for labs, offices

Plans are underway to turn the Crescent building at 4340 Duncan Avenue, built in 1930 as a Post-Dispatch printing plant, into 96,000 square feet of space for labs and offices. Cortex's application to the city for development incentives notes that incubators in the district lack affordable space to house young companies.

The $44 million project is seeking city approval to tap $5 million in tax increment financing assistance. Cortex sits within a much larger TIF district, which allows developers in the area to use increases in taxes from their projects to help finance construction.

Read More
BellaVilla wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:20 pm
Is there a running count somewhere of the total number of permanent jobs that have been created through Cortex so far?
I just saw a figure of 4,100 jobs created so far in Cortex, athough I don't know if that includes IKEA and other service jobs. 15,000 total jobs is the projection when built out..
^^ F*CK. it was such a great resource. i really really hope someone buys it and maintains it at that location. all those wonderful machines...