STL Technology News

The thriving technology scene covering startups, incubators, investors, etc.
First unread post542 posts
Google Fiber Was Doomed From the Start
https://backchannel.com/google-fiber-wa ... .rhxzu4r91
Well this doesn't sound good:

Funding for local tech startups down 80%

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... wn-80.html
^ Agree, doesn't sound good but from a capital/market perspective I see it as a cycle where at least some of the existing start ups have to find a means or return on investment for the another round/uptick In funding. At some point funds are not unlimited for everyone who reaches out with hand promising the next big thing. Especially if your business model for all intents and purposes begins with gladly pay you tomorrow for two hamburgers today.

To me, what I think matters for St Louis area is continue to build the Institutional funded District's (financially and global networks) such as CORTEX and Plant Science while finding ways for the Nestlé's of the world to move IT operations to the area. In this case, I would say a bigger worry is possibly pull back by Feds in health across the board, whether it be Medicaid to NIH.
You do have this though. So maybe some money is just moving where they are investing.

St. Louis biotech startups increase funding 87 percent

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... ng-87.html
W.T.F.? so biotech isn't tech? these a-holes need to be more specific when they write sh*t like this.
Isn't this skewed because of the huge Answers financing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 High-Tech Cities You'll Want to Call Home from pcmag.com

http://www.pcmag.com/feature/323932/14- ... -call-home

St. Louis is # 10!!!
Last fall, FiveThirtyEight proclaimed St. Louis "the new startup frontier." Average tech salaries there in 2016 were $83,717, up 3.1 percent from 2015. According to FiveThirtyEight, Missouri aggressively courts entrepreneurs via organizations like the Missouri Technology Corporation and the Kauffman Foundation. Many start-ups there are healthcare related, and many are women-owned.
Pretty excited to have been at the T-REX event: Our City for the Building, Report to the Community.

The statistics are pretty strong for the first 5 years.

http://report.downtowntrex.org/
PD reporting the addition of tech jobs to Grand Center. Nice pickup from Chameleon

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... d6b48.html
Safe Trek, a St Louis startup, is running national advertisements. Very exciting.

Here's some fodder for the argument that STL tech scene is not all that its cracked up to be.compared to our peers...

St. Louis' tech workforce growing slower than other cities
https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... other.html
Other cities that are frequently compared with St. Louis grew at a faster clip, too: Minneapolis (25.5 percent); Kansas City (39.1 percent); Columbus, Ohio (12.9 percent); Cincinnati (21 percent); Milwaukee (21.1 percent); and Nashville (43.5 percent).

In fact, of the 50 markets analyzed by the CBRE report, only two markets grew less than 10 percent — St. Louis and Washington, D.C. (9.6 percent).
However, as the article also notes its not all doom and gloom in other areas and this is a report for Top 50 U.S. and Canadian tech markets, so just to be included in this list at 35th is not exactly a bad thing.
STLrainbow wrote: Here's some fodder for the argument that STL tech scene is not all that its cracked up to be.compared to our peers...
That the article claims a near 50% jump it tech workers in San Fran over the same time period really makes me wonder about its methodology. The numbers out there were already so huge, how do they increase it by such a percentage. Maybe true but hard for me to believe.
STLEnginerd wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:57 pm
STLrainbow wrote: Here's some fodder for the argument that STL tech scene is not all that its cracked up to be.compared to our peers...
That the article claims a near 50% jump it tech workers in San Fran over the same time period really makes me wonder about its methodology. The numbers out there were already so huge, how do they increase it by such a percentage. Maybe true but hard for me to believe.
Based on the housing situation that seems just be getting worse and worse out there I would say it's probably accurate.
Just observing that 50% of 100,000 is 50k while 50% of 1 million is 500k. The only thing that makes sense to me is if the study is for municipalities rather than for metros so San Fran's trends of tech workers living in San Fran proper and working in the valley is shown in the results of the study, or if Oakland and San Jose were taken as separate metros somehow.

Otherwise I don't see how you can increase tech worker population by 50 % in the Bay Area in 5 years. That would be incredible.
I think it's been discussed in this forum several times that St. Louis is seeing a biotech boom. That is where the explosive numbers are. Really look into these studies and their definitions of 'tech'. St. Louis is not seeing strong growth in IT services or things of the such. The boom STL has been seeing is in AgTech, BioTech and in MedTech. Our startup growth is often confused with 'tech'. The vast majority of St. Louis startups are media oriented or in non-tech fields. Yes, STL is seeing growth in technological fields, just not where some of these studies focus. Important to keep this in mind before our inferiority complex suffocates us all.
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:11 am
I think it's been discussed in this forum several times that St. Louis is seeing a biotech boom. That is where the explosive numbers are. Really look into these studies and their definitions of 'tech'. St. Louis is not seeing strong growth in IT services or things of the such. The boom STL has been seeing is in AgTech, BioTech and in MedTech. Our startup growth is often confused with 'tech'. The vast majority of St. Louis startups are media oriented or in non-tech fields. Yes, STL is seeing growth in technological fields, just not where some of these studies focus. Important to keep this in mind before our inferiority complex suffocates us all.
Interesting. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you here, but it seems you're saying a few things here:
  • St. Louis is not seeing much growth in IT despite initiatives like LaunchCode and T-Rex
  • The "tech" growth is in biotech and is not just growth but a "boom"
  • But the vast majority of startups are non-tech, media oriented.
The third point I maybe find most surprising. I take it you mean "media" in a traditional sense? i.e. the main means of mass communications: broadcasting, publishing and the interwebs?
San Luis Native wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:11 am
Interesting. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you here, but it seems you're saying a few things here:
  • St. Louis is not seeing much growth in IT despite initiatives like LaunchCode and T-Rex
  • The "tech" growth is in biotech and is not just growth but a "boom"
  • But the vast majority of startups are non-tech, media oriented.
The third point I maybe find most surprising. I take it you mean "media" in a traditional sense? i.e. the main means of mass communications: broadcasting, publishing and the interwebs?
To address your first point, unfortunately the answer is yes. STL is not seeing significant growth in IT. This is proved by numerous studies, however it is starting to change thanks to those initiatives. Secondly, yes you can refer to it as a boom. Thirdly, vast majority is not the words I should have used. Some examples are OlioCity, SafeTrek, many others are app developments, which some may define as tech, but it's not the definition I use.