33 Floor Tower Planned for 300 South Broadway

Renovations and new residential construction in downtown St. Louis, Washington Avenue, the Old Post Office, etc.
First unread post379 posts
mizstl wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm
Greg Johnson @PresbyterianStl
5:14PM Mar 20, 2018

$100 million permit application (zoning) received for 300 S. Broadway. Now 268 units. This one is happening.
Let me add some meat to this,

When someone applies for zoning only permit it means they just want to get the project approved and not slow down the process with everything else like financing, they're not getting an actual building permit. What this allows is for the project to go through City reviews and for the developer to come back and apply for an actual building permit later if the project moves on.
Probably just a render choice, but there are two building with white facades that currently don't exist. One is in the place of the Westin, the other though looks to be placed right around 11th and Spruce.

Edit: It looks more like it is just the federal building without the detail and tower.

Here's a down & dirty rendering based off of Framer's post. Some things are wonky but I've burned enough daylight on it, need to get back to paying jobs...
^ Nice, thanks for sharing! That's the best rendering I've seen so far.
thanks!
can't wait to see the cranes during televised games!!
Great image. I think you nailed it.
^What he said. Well done Shadrach.
Said this over in the BPV thread, but . . . Nicely done sir!
Do these new buildings plan on having baseball proof windows? Or maybe some sticky windows that’ll catch the balls?
Yeah, I've actually wondered if they were within reach. What's the distance from home plate?
framer wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:07 pm
Yeah, I've actually wondered if they were within reach. What's the distance from home plate?
The only way a ball could get to either the new BPV tower or 300 Broadway is if it was 1) a new world record for a HR or 2) got a VERY lucky bounce off of the pavement. The current BPV structure has never been hit, not has a ball ever come even remotely close to making it across Clark.
It's 700 feet from home plate to the current building. However, a home run would need to be hit far enough to go much further than that since it would need to clear the Budweiser scoreboard. I would think it would need to be a 900+ foot home run to have a chance at the ground level.
MRNHS wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:48 pm
It's 700 feet from home plate to the current building. However, a home run would need to be hit far enough to go much further than that since it would need to clear the Budweiser scoreboard. I would think it would need to be a 900+ foot home run to have a chance at the ground level.
Dinger swings!

-RBB
dbInSouthCity wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:46 pm
mizstl wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm
Greg Johnson @PresbyterianStl
5:14PM Mar 20, 2018

$100 million permit application (zoning) received for 300 S. Broadway. Now 268 units. This one is happening.
Let me add some meat to this,

When someone applies for zoning only permit it means they just want to get the project approved and not slow down the process with everything else like financing, they're not getting an actual building permit. What this allows is for the project to go through City reviews and for the developer to come back and apply for an actual building permit later if the project moves on.
Looks like this permit (zoning only) was approved April 5th so I presume they are securing financing currently prior to applying for the full permit?
Sometimes i like sifting through other cities on news for development & saw that in Portland Oregon a developer is proposing a 33 story tower with a possible height of 410 ft on a prominent downtown food cart pod, anyways yesterday i sat on the Kiener Lawn staring at the old county courthouse then gone up the Arch.. Both One Cardinal Way & 300 Broadway are going to be really welcomed additions to the city skyline... I do kind of wish 300 Broadway be a bit taller however 2 300+ footers is a start.
Stl Community College Moving Out?
I'm assuming this could mean demolition will start soon.
I just still sit here in disbelief that there was no way a compromise could be made between the parking garage, the city, and HDA. It's a literal car prison eyesore sitting there and they still think this is the best choice to be made. Did anyone actually try anything else? Or just act like they did because it's the easier way out? Because between two new residential developments by Busch III, someone else would have definitely stepped up and redone this building for residential as well. Instead, we still have these horrible looking garages.

I welcome this development, but it's so frustrating that the city is making a half lateral move after approving abatement and everything. It's the last negative thing I'll say on this.
^ agreed. as much as i like the new construction, this completely unnecessary loss still makes me sick to my stomach.
Especially with the surface lot immediately south, and the millinium hotel complex vacant, and the cupples x lot and mike Shannon’s, and and and...
bwcrow1s wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm
I just still sit here in disbelief that there was no way a compromise could be made between the parking garage, the city, and HDA. It's a literal car prison eyesore sitting there and they still think this is the best choice to be made. Did anyone actually try anything else? Or just act like they did because it's the easier way out? Because between two new residential developments by Busch III, someone else would have definitely stepped up and redone this building for residential as well. Instead, we still have these horrible looking garages.

I welcome this development, but it's so frustrating that the city is making a half lateral move after approving abatement and everything. It's the last negative thing I'll say on this.
What kind of compromise?
STLEnginerd wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 pm
Especially with the surface lot immediately south, and the millinium hotel complex vacant, and the cupples x lot and mike Shannon’s, and and and...
I think it was mentioned here before, but the surface parking lot to the south would've cost the developers twice (at least) what they're paying the Community college for their building.
To stlien, we are talking about the subsidy alderman of STL. I'm sure a deal could be struck that could have ridded the area of a hideous low rise or parking garage.

Sure we are in free fall with abatements and subsidies, but we can at least go down with more active building density than which we had.
This Seems like a fallacy of some sort. Just because you’re sure a ‘deal could have been struck& doesn’t mean a ‘deal could have been struck.’ I’m not privy to all the mechanics of development but wanting ‘something to be so’ because it ‘should be so’ feels rather idealistic. But what is this forum if not 43% idealism?
Sure. Idealism aside. But I suppose I would just like to know if someone actually attempted to do anything outside of the "easy" solution of replacing this building when there are so many absolute eyesores surrounding the stadium. It just seems that between all the incentives the city passes on to rich developers and the available eyesore space, that something else could have been at least explored further, and deemed financially feasible, and done in the better interest of the city. Do I think Coatar could do more to encourage developing other lots? Absolutely. I simply wonder if he did his part in the better interest of the city with this project.

Again, it still feels weird that HDA said that they were starting the project as renovating the existing building, then all of a sudden want to throw up a 33 story tower. They must know what they can get due to development history.
Please keep in mind that the parking lots and garages are still owned by someone. It takes two to make a deal and the city can't force an owner to sell (short of Eminent Domain, which is not a good route to go down). As people have pointed out dozens of times on UrbanSTL, the owners of the parking garage are based out west (Phoenix, AZ?) and are happy with the annual parking revenue they bring in.

While it's easy to say that the parking garage or nearby lots would have been a better choice, the financial costs to purchase those (since the current owners either don't want to sell or are asking for the moon) would make any high-rise development financially impossible. The fact in this case is that the community college wanted to sell and their asking price was more in line with what the developer was looking for.