St. Louis Cardinals

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post600 posts
How sad to watch this season go down the tubes. :(

Especially since Pujols is having his best season yet. It's being wasted by idiots like Jason Marquis. The pitching has just been plain bad. From CardsTalk, I read that since May 24th, the Cards have the 8th worst record in MLB.

My favorite part of the season is the offseason though, I love watching things unfold. It'll be interesting to see how different the Cardinals look next year.

Last though. Why does it have to be the Astros? Why couldn't it be the Reds? Reds fans much easier to take than Astros fans.

Has anyone seen the new statues they've put up at the northwest corner of the stadium? Everytime I drive by them, I think of the mini-Stonehenge in Spinal Tap. The statues seriously seem like little monopoly pieces. Each one looks like it could fit in it's respective base, like a little coffin. The proportion is way off.

The Cardinals just don't deserve getting in this year, their play has been atrocious, and when you watch them, you never get the feeling that they are playing hard, or playing with any energy or desire. If they don't make it into the playoffs, which I don't think we will, they will be a big shakeup in the off season, which is definately needed!!! I also think that Ryan Howard should win the MVP this year, which would be pretty cool since I used to play ball against him.

Well there is no doubt that the record the team as of this morning is more indicative of the team's overall offensive and pitching capablities than it was a week ago. They just aren't very good. The offense would be passible if the pitching was better. Oh well, at least there are a number of interesting possible pitching FA this winter. The real question is, should La Russa stay? (I would argue yes, he should)

I think so too. I like LaRussa, although I think he's been leaving Carpenter in a little too long his last couple of starts. But, can you really blame him? The bullpen really collapsed this year, which I think has been our biggest weakness.

Jeff707 wrote:
Has anyone seen the new statues they've put up at the northwest corner of the stadium? Everytime I drive by them, I think of the mini-Stonehenge in Spinal Tap. The statues seriously seem like little monopoly pieces. Each one looks like it could fit in it's respective base, like a little coffin. The proportion is way off.

Those statues were at the old Busch, just spread out more. And the bases that the statues sit look about the same as when they sat outside Busch II.

Definitely sad to watch, although as mentioned, seemingly inevitable from day one. Projected weaknesses were a questionable starting rotation and bullpen. Throw in an off season for Izzy, untimely injuries, and mediocre midseason acquisitions and you don't have much left to work with.

Being an optimist at heart, however, I would still love to see them get in (hell, the national league is such a toss up, who knows what is going to happen on any given day?) Hopefully enough damage has been done to prove that more drastic measures must be taken to put a dominant team on the field next year.

Where were they at the old stadium?

Jeff707 wrote:
Where were they at the old stadium?

They were around the northeast "corner," around the Stan the Man statue.

They never stuck out to me there for some reason, I guess. I guess, I always came into the stadium from the south, since my season tickets were in the bleachers. They just look ridiculous, though.

appraisalman wrote:
The Cardinals just don't deserve getting in this year, their play has been atrocious, and when you watch them, you never get the feeling that they are playing hard, or playing with any energy or desire. If they don't make it into the playoffs, which I don't think we will, they will be a big shakeup in the off season, which is definately needed!!! I also think that Ryan Howard should win the MVP this year, which would be pretty cool since I used to play ball against him.

No disrespect to Howard, but Pujols should be MVP- hands down.

I don't know about that. Pujols has had a great year, but Howard has a chance to be the first steriod free player to break the home run record. He also has more RBI, and a pretty good batting average. I know people will hate me for saying that, but I just think that with the year Howard had, he deserves the MVP. If he hadn't gotten injured and kept up with his torid pace I'd of said Pujols had it in the bag.

^ How do you know Howard is free from taint.... I am not saying he isn't clean (I actualy think he is clean) but that can't possibly be your rational, because you likely don't know the answer.

The argument against Howard is clear, while he has great numbers this season, he has hardly been doing it alone. The Cards could only hope that Rolen was the offensive equal to Chase Utley, which he was not. Moreover, the comeback by the Phills really has been a team effort, with improvements by Meyers, Hamels, Lieber, and Dellcuci, not to mention the addtion of Moyer.

Acorrding to a PD article, Howard has been tested for the juice four times this year, and once in the last week. I assume that he is clean because the league didn't hesitate when Palmero tested positive last year.

A good team effort also helps the whole MVP arguement because in my opinion MVP's make the players around them better. The only cardinal that has had a good second half besides Pujols would be Duncan, and we'd be screwed if we didn't have the Dunk.

Pujols is definetely the MVP winner if the Cards make the postseason and the Phillies do not. Howard might have more RBIs and HRs, but not much and people forget that Albert missed three weeks. He is also, playing injured with his elbow.

With RISP, Al bats something like .380 to Howard's .248 (these statistics are a couple of weeks old). Also, Pujols has set the record for gaming winning homeruns with 20. The next in line is Willie Mays' 19...

The funny thing is, the Cards could make the playoffs (Although most likely won't) and Phils not make the playoffs, but the Phils could still have more wins. Weird.

appraisalman wrote:
The funny thing is, the Cards could make the playoffs (Although most likely won't) and Phils not make the playoffs, but the Phils could still have more wins. Weird.

thats actually happens more often than you think

That's not funny. It's pathetic.

He's a big Astros fan. I remember reading his stuff in '04. Screw 'em. Lets go Weavs.

Yeah, it definately is pathetic. Let's hope they do some serious rebuilding in the offseason.

Q: Which comes first: A) Cards win the World Series, B) BPV is completed.

A:

Neel is a fool. Read any number of his articles and that much is clear. A few years back when ESPN did their ballpark rankings, he did most of the West Coast and talk about grade inflation... it was amazing to see how almost all the Cali teams on average were 5-10 points higher. Even more funny/odd/depressing/foolish: Neel wrote an article when the final four was in town for ESPN talking about all the stuff in St. Louis. Not a day earlier, Bernie had writen a funny collumn to help the out of towners know about local tastes and customs. This included a line pointing out that asking to find "St. Louis style Ribs" was foolish, that we serve pork steaks in this town. (yes i know it is a tpe of rib cut, but most don't and assume it is a type of bbq sauce or method of cooking). One of Neels biggest complaints was the lack of St. Louis style ribs at the "Rib America" festival... just as clueless as can be... :roll: