Professional Soccer in St. Louis

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post1025 posts
I might add what took so long. For a town renown for its contributions to soccer, I figured MLS would have offered a franchise long ago. I hope St. Louis gets a franchise. Robert Hermann stadium at SLU would be perfectly suited as a home.

>>From mayorslay.com

Soccer?

We have no inside information. This is not a trial balloon. But . . .

MayorSlay.com recently read that Major League Soccer regards St. Louis -- along with Cleveland, Philadelphia, Houston, and Milwaukee -- as a frontrunner for an expansion franchise in 2007.

St. Louis is a great sports town and has a large base of soccer fans. I think the MLS would do well here but the problem could be going up against the NHL and NFL at the same time (assuming they play in the fall months).

Then again, the other cities have basketball and football so that point is probably moot.

Soccer is too big in St Louis to not have a ML team. I think people here would appreciate this beyond expectations.

I believe we'd already have a team except we didn't have an outdoor facility. This is also going to keep us from getting a team unless we can expand upon SLU's field or should I say stands.

Yeah, it would definitely require building a new stadium, and SLU would be the perfect place for it. I think soccer would do pretty well here.

SLU is building an indoor arena at Compton/Laclede, and will only have game-field space similar to Kiel. So then, DeBaliviere, are you suggesting a new outdoor stadium with a larger field?

SLU does have an outdoor field with stands just northeast of the arena site, but obviously way too small to even begin to be compared to Soldier's Field where the Chicago FIRE play.

Chicago's professional soccer team shares their venue with its NFL Bears, but our Rams play indoor. So, that begs the question: is there a rule that these new soccer league teams must play in outdoor venues?

I KNOW a MLS team would do well here. There are too many soccer 'nuts' for it to fail.

I have followed MLS from the beginning and the league has always mentioned St. Louis as a possible expansion, but there's just one minor detail.....a stadium. They have played some pre-season games at SLU, but the stadium doesn't hold enough fans. (I believe the minimum is a 25,000 capacity) We wouldn't even have to leave our city to field a team. I think there is a total of 12-15 St. Louisan's (they went to H.S. here...I'm positive that makes them official) in the league. Half of New England's team is from St. Louis - including the leagues leading scorer.

I hope something finally comes of this now that the Mayor knows they are interested.

SLU is building an indoor arena at Compton/Laclede, and will only have game-field space similar to Kiel. So then, DeBaliviere, are you suggesting a new outdoor stadium with a larger field?

Yeah, a larger facility could be built on campus, either by somehow expanding Hermann Stadium (not sure if that's feasible or not) or building a new facility to the east of the current field.

Why not build it on the Hiroshima flats just north of downtown west?

I believe you have to have an outdoor stadium because you must play on grass. No turf for the unprotected legs of the soccer player...

I don;t see the cards letting them play at the new busch, so we need a new facility. I vote for building it in the train yard just southwest of Busch. WE can create an arena district, like many cities have, and use couple station and Richard Baron's proposed condo building at 14th and clark and ballpark village as a great residential/wriglewyville style component.

Savvis, Soccer, and Busch, all within six blocks of eachother...

Have the chouteau lake go right along side the new stadium, and we can create a riverewalk type p[lace with cafes and bistros...

Thoughts running away...

Bastiat wrote:
Why not build it on the Hiroshima flats just north of downtown west?

I assume you mean the Pruitt-Igoe site. I don't think that'd be a bad idea, it's much better than the golf course that was proposed there. Some sort of mixed use development to coincide with the stadium may be just the thing to kick start development.

To compare the new Chicago Fire stadium has a capacity of 20,000 that can be expanded to 30,000 in the future. It will also double as a outdoor concert facility with a capacity of 28,000. With the rumblings I've heard about the possible sale of Riverport, there could be a market for another outdoor venue.

Also, Hermann stadium could be expanded to seat 20,000. The capacity now is around 6000. If seats are added to the grandstands and a north grand stand is built that number could be reached creating a horseshoe stadium. Enclosing the stadium wouldn't be possible as Laclede Street runs south of it. An expanded Hermann could also serve as an outdoor concert venue and a possible home of the new Billiken football team :P

I don't necessarily like the idea of SLU soccer sharing it's stadium with an MLS team. IMO, I think they should have their own venue.

How about a nice new field running along Market at 20th, going to 23rd? We've been looking at remaking that area, how would a new stadium looking right down Market into downtown look?

Otherwise, I like the idea of Midtown...but downtown would be better. Keep everything downtown. The south of Busch isn't a bad idea, but I'd move it back several blocks to keep it away from the stadium directly. Either east or west. East might fare better, further connecting downtown more to the river front. Plus, that could help revive Chouteaus Landing.
It seems odd that St. Louis, one of the birthplaces and bastions of American soccer, lacks an MLS team. I think the metro could easily support it. All we are lacking is ownership and a stadium :wink:

That being said, rumors are flying around the MLS that they will announce a Midwest expansion city with in 2 months. There is no official effort that I am aware of, though I have heard rumors that certain individuals associated with the game on the national level have quietly (and as little I have heard, it would have to be damn quite) put together an ownership group.

Of course that still leaves the open question of a soccer specific stadium. SLU?s Herman stadium was supposedly designed to increase capacity from the current 6,000 to 12,000 ?thus the field behind the stands. However word is that SLU wants nothing to do with sharing facilities with any pro team.

I would just love to have a team, I played the game growing up and fell in love with watching when I lived in Germany.

i agree..if kansas city has a team there is no reason such a soccer city, like st. louis, shouldn't have a team. St. louis players are well represented in the MLS. Two examples are Taylor Twellman and Pat Noonan for the revolution. Maybe they can convince the league to get a team started. :D

I don't know if you heard this but houston got a team....the Houston 1836....if we ever get a team i hope we get a good name.

If the rams would of build a REAL football stadium i don't think we'd be having this conversation...im really disapointed we got an indoor football stadium..a boring one at that. Just my opinion tho

I think the EJD is a great football venue. How many spectators would a MLS team draw in St Louis? Maybe 5k per match? We must have a facility capable of hosting this team!?

I too like the EDJ Dome. It's supposed to be too dang cold in STL to play outdoors. I know I'd stay at home and watch on TV if the Rams played in an outdoor stadium.

i get your point..but chicago, pittsburgh, clevland, buffalo, New york all have out door stadiums in the COLD and i believe has a much better atmosphere....just my opinion

i was just trying to get the point across that it be nice to have a outdoor football stadium so we could get a MLS team in a great soccer city...since that is not option i guess if stl wants a team a soccer stadium will have to be built

Is it feasible to make an arrangement with SLU? They have a pretty classy facility for soccer-only. :?:

coachjw wrote:
Is it feasible to make an arrangement with SLU? They have a pretty classy facility for soccer-only. :?:

Hermann Stadium on SLU's campus has always been one of the sites whenever people talk about soccer in St Louis. (We need an owner first, that's the big problem.) It would have to be expanded, but there is room, and what is there is in pretty good shape as far as an MLS level stadium is concerned.

I would really love to see as an alternative a stadium be built across from the arch on the ESTL riverfront. Imagine the views.

Oh, a new facility IN East St. Louis would be awesome and amazing! :) Now that I think about it, I imagine the facility at SIUE would probably be a good site with some upgrades/improvement.

loftlover wrote:
I think the EJD is a great football venue. How many spectators would a MLS team draw in St Louis? Maybe 5k per match? We must have a facility capable of hosting this team!?

The league averages about 15,000 per game (this is a major league) The new stadiums that are soccer specific seat about 22,000 - 25,000. MLS has a no turf, grass only policy just like FIFA requires. I suppose they could suspend that rule it till a new stadium exists, but there are alot of things that need to happen for a team to end up here.

MLS is a summer sport with the championship in the Fall, so they would compete with the Cards, but I still think they would be a good draw.

By the way Herman stadium will host soccer's final four this year, should be a good time.

I LOVE the east st. louis idea!
Beer City wrote:
rumors are flying around the MLS that they will announce a Midwest expansion city with in 2 months. There is no official effort that I am aware of, though I have heard rumors that certain individuals associated with the game on the national level have quietly (and as little I have heard, it would have to be damn quite) put together an ownership group.

BC, I merged your thread with an existing one about the possibility of an MLS team coming to St. Louis. Back in October of 2005, MayorSlay.com read that Major League Soccer regards St. Louis -- along with Cleveland, Philadelphia, Houston, and Milwaukee -- as a frontrunner for an expansion franchise in 2007.

I'd love to see the MLS in Saint Louis. I like several of the ideas already mentioned for stadium locations- particularly the East Saint Louis riverfront option.

I must say I haven't kept track of ongoings in the MLS for some time, so I was wondering if anyone knew what construction costs were for soccer stadia in other cities? I know the Chicago Fire has a new facility, and I think Dallas FC's stadium isn't all that old...

I ask this question because of the outcry against public funding for the Cardinals ballpark, and the initiative passed in the city that would require a vote for any taxpayer assistance for future stadium projects. Given the resistance the Cardinals faced, I think even a modest contribution toward a project of a smaller scope like an outdoor soccer stadium would meet with considerable opposition from city residents.

I suppose this is where the ESTL option would work (even if I'd prefer a city location, as I'm sure many soccer fans- Hizzoner incuded- would prefer). I certainly didn't want the Cardinals to relocate there, since I feel they belong in downtown. And I'm not a fan of corporate welfare by any means. But this would be an opportunity to bring something new to the region, redevelop part of the ESTL riverfront, and I think Illinois may be more receptive to the idea of providing incentives if that's what it takes.

I may be in a minority here, but I'd want only an outdoor venue. I don't know if it'd be possible for a team to share the Edward Jones Dome with the Rams. And frankly, I'm no fan of indoor facilities, including the dome. I think it makes for an insipid, uninspiring gameday atmosphere (even if the recent product on the field isn't helping matters any- :wink: ).

The new Chicago Fire stadium in Bridgeview will cost $70 million. It holds 20,000 soccer fans. This stadium can also be converted into a 28,000 seat ampatheater.

The New York Metro stars are planning a new stadium as well. It too will cost around $70 million. These two stadiums, i would say, are on the more expensive side when it comes to stadiums. Milwaukee is planning a $55 million stadium. I believe this would be more along the price st. louis would spend...im not sure tho.

How cool would it be if we had a East STL stadium equipt for concerts with a view of the skyline and river!