NHL Winter Classic 2017

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
Hope this happens. .....
Blues versus Blackhawks, Winter Classic 2017.

http://m.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/pro ... touch=true
Please let this happen

Also please let it be the actual Winter Classic, not just one of the Stadium Series games.
Sign me up!
I guess beggars can't be choosers, I'm thrilled beyond measure, I just wish it was someone other than Chicago.

I get that it's a rivalry. But as a Blues fan, I loathe the hordes of Blackhawks fans that invade every city they play in. And as a hockey fan, I'm sick of seeing the Blackhawks in outdoor games. If this indeed happens then it'll be the Blackhawks 5th outdoor game since the Winter Classic/Stadium Series started in 2008.
shimmy wrote:
I guess beggars can't be choosers, I'm thrilled beyond measure, I just wish it was someone other than Chicago.

I get that it's a rivalry. But as a Blues fan, I loathe the hordes of Blackhawks fans that invade every city they play in. And as a hockey fan, I'm sick of seeing the Blackhawks in outdoor games. If this indeed happens then it'll be the Blackhawks 5th outdoor game since the Winter Classic/Stadium Series started in 2008.

I'd prefer to play the Predators.

We might have to adopt their methods to "keep the red out".
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-blackhawks-fans-predators-tickets-rosenbloom20160112-column.html
good point about the vermin of chicago coming down.... predators would be good; red wings would be a good throwback rivalry.
shimmy wrote:

I can not be happier that we are being considered, this is probably will be wrapped in to the celebration of the 67 expansion of which the Blues, Flyers, Kings and Penguins remain - Pitt and Philly have already played in the classic - LA is hosting the all star game next year (even though they hosted in 02)

So its nice that the league is willing to give us a big event - I would have been happy with a stadium series game - but this is awesome

The league really likes those lovable Blackhawks -
If LA wasn't hosting the All-Star Game then the Kings would make the most sense: '67 expansion team, recent rivalry with the Blues, have only played in one stadium series, huge market. And as has been said, Flyers and Penguins are going to play in a Stadium Series game if they don't get the Winter Classic, so that rules them out. Weren't the Stars a '67 team also? Granted, they played in Minnesota then and Dallas isn't a great hockey market.
Per report from the Detroit Free Press it will be Toronto Maple Leafs hosting Detroit Red Wings for the 2017 Winter Classic.. St.Louis doesn't just get burned by the NFL but now gets burned by the NHL!
I wouldn't say burned, Toronto was always the leading pick until last week. The fact that the Blues suddenly became frontrunners caught me off guard, but it's a good sign moving forward. But as a hockey fan, it means we'll see another Winter Classic re-run. Ugh.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Per report from the Detroit Free Press it will be Toronto Maple Leafs hosting Detroit Red Wings for the 2017 Winter Classic.. St.Louis doesn't just get burned by the NFL but now gets burned by the NHL!

My only guess is the NHL is pushing the Winter Classic to Canada because January 1st 2017 is a Sunday and the last day of the NFL season.
St. Louis could still get one of the "Stadium Series" games, though.
^How much truth is there that the Coors Stadium Series won't be held at Busch Stadium? I see that all over the place, but I haven't seen it from a reputable source.
Rumor has it that tonight at the Blues-Hawks game it will be announced that the Blues will host the Hawks in the Winter Classic.
Woohoo!
Yeah, one of the PD sportswriters said a few days ago that an announcement was imminent.
Looks like the Cardinals have taken the Rams departure somewhat seriously. They're hosting the Blues at Busch Stadium and supposedly selling Memphis in order to invest in local MLS. I'm sure it is good for business too. I can't imagine how powerful a unified pro-sports group could be in future city hall negotiations, but they could do amazing things. Why not a Blues museum in ballpark village too? They could do great things for the Clark Avenue experience.
While I am thrilled that the "Winter Classic" is finally coming to STL, let's not kid ourselves into thinking this game is the real deal. First off, this game is not the feature New Year's Day game. This game is on Jan 2nd, the day everyone drags themselves back to work, after the holidays. The"Centennial Series " game between DET & TOR is the true "Winter Classic". It is the game that will get all of the attention on NYD, versus our game, that is basically a 'Stadium Series" game. Again, I am grateful to have the game in STL, but let's not be fooled into thinking this game is the real deal "Winter Classic". Again, that game is played on Jan. 1st. I would rather wait until 2018 to get a NYD Winter Classic.
DogtownBnR wrote:
While I am thrilled that the "Winter Classic" is finally coming to STL, let's not kid ourselves into thinking this game is the real deal. First off, this game is not the feature New Year's Day game. This game is on Jan 2nd, the day everyone drags themselves back to work, after the holidays. The"Centennial Series " game between DET & TOR is the true "Winter Classic". It is the game that will get all of the attention on NYD, versus our game, that is basically a 'Stadium Series" game. Again, I am grateful to have the game in STL, but let's not be fooled into thinking this game is the real deal "Winter Classic". Again, that game is played on Jan. 1st. I would rather wait until 2018 to get a NYD Winter Classic.

Most people will have January 2nd off next year as 2017 New Years Day is a Sunday. It's also the last day of the NFL season so that's why they're playing the NYD game in Toronto.
^ Good points, but that being said, I'd still rather have the Winter Classic a different year, where things can be done in a traditional way.

No matter what, the NHL either has to compete with the NFL every so often or college football most years. The Blues - Blackhawks ratings will like suffer a bit, since this is not a tradition New Year's Day game. For some strange reason, people a laid out on their couches for most of New Year's day. :lol:
^ "Traditional Way"? The 2017 Winter Classic will only be the 9th version of the game, and the 2nd time it won't be played on 1/1. The only "tradition" that can be copied is that of NCAA football, which traditionally doesn't play bowl games on 1/1 if it is a Sunday because of the NFL and instead moves the games to Monday, 1/2. Also, I think the whole idea of the Winter Classic is, itself, nontraditional - traditionally NHL games are played inside and teams don't switch goals midway through periods - so move past your odd ideologies.
My wish list:
-the Blues wear 1970's era throwbacks for the game
-we can keep the damn Blackhawks fans out. They're damn annoying.
DogtownBnR wrote:

Should we "care" if it's not the true "Winter Classic?" Will the game have the same media coverage?
^^weird ideologies? I think not. Are you telling me that traditions cannot be built in a short time? I disagree. I don't know about you, but the Winter classic has been a regular part of my New Year's Day, since the first one. There's never been a "winter classic" played on any day but New Year's Day.

^ nationally, the coverage will be less when it's not on New Year's Day, IMO. Not to mention Detroit and Toronto play the centennial classic the day before.

By the way, as mentioned, I am grateful to have the game. I just want it to be on NYD. I don't believe that would be considered "a weird ideology", but more of a personal preference.