MLS in STL

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post1394 posts
^ There was a more detailed article in the Post-Dispatch. All in all, things seem to be moving forward, but the MLS wants to see more corporate support out of St. Louis. I personally don't think this will be a problem in the long run. Our corporate environment is quite a bit stronger then our closest competition, outside of maybe Detroit (30 MI companies are on the F1000), but I wouldn't consider Detroit a front-runner either.

I don't think it would be difficult to get the Taylor's to whip up some more support from the business community.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... 57401.html
Have to love the teaser from MLS as reported by Biz Journals/Sports Illustrated interview. We will take someone's money soon, just won't tell you whose money and how soon will take it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/new ... s_headline

Major League Soccer will award its 28th team “sometime soon,” but the league does not have a “specific timetable” regarding expansion. That’s according to Commissioner Don Garber, who made those comments in a recent interview on Sports Illustrated's Planet Fútbol TV.
There's supposedly an MLS board or directors meeting in April. Kavanaugh is on record saying he expects something either before that meeting or directly after it once they've discussed details.

Mention of that meeting here: https://soundcloud.com/550ktrs/carneysh ... fer-miller

And then Garber saying there's no timetable... so... hehe
https://www.si.com/soccer/video/2019/02 ... -28th-team
I’m
Thinking Sacramento will get awarded the 28th however I do believe they’ll expand beyond that just a matter of when though if St Louis is picked over Sacramento I’ll be completely shocked.
I’m
Thinking Sacramento will get awarded the 28th however I do believe they’ll expand beyond that just a matter of when though if St Louis is picked over Sacramento I’ll be completely shocked.
I’m
Wolfpaw wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:39 am
I’m
I think STL might need to keep leveraging this take us now or we will walk angle they seem to be taking to get 28. They need to just take us both but we will see.
This was mentioned in the Biz Journal, but I think, where STL has the big advantage, is with our youth soccer programs, most notably, STL Scott Gallagher's affiliation. That is huge! That must not be overlooked. The advantage SAC has is the fact that the Republic is drawing so well and has a huge fanbase. That issue will be resolved almost instantly, the moment MLS announces MLS to STL. I think it will be huge. We all know all of the other things STL brings to the table. I had convinced myself that SAC was a lock, but I'm not so sure. I think STL has more to offer MLS at this time. I think our only flaw is that our population growth is not where it needs to be, but we still have 700K more people in our metro than SAC.

My thoughts are that if Kavanaugh & CKB get all of the boxes checked, STL gets 28. SAC has been disappointed after previous expansions. Whomever gets left out of the 2, will be promised 29 IMO. SAC would make a great #29! :mrgreen:
I think if you look at it from a financial perspective, if you are a board of owners and looking to make a league successful, part of that success is in the strength and capability of your league of owners. If you could bring on a 1.5B ownership group, or a 12B+ ownership group... you probably bring on the 12B group onto your team. Money talks.

And on that same vein, if you value diversity (and MLS has publicly stated this a lot over the past few years) and you have a ownership group full of men, and one of your goals is to appeal and influence your brand to more than just half of population... do you bring on another white dude? ...or do you bring on a majority female ownership group... I think you bring on the majority female lead group.
Major League Soccer reaching new heights, but this may only be the beginning

“We're very thoughtful and strategic about expansion,” Garber said. “It's not out of need, it's out of strategic opportunity. We want to cover more of our country, we want to have more geographic regions that can be connected so that you can have rivalries between potentially a St. Louis and a Kansas City or a Los Angeles and San Jose, and being able to have those kinds of rivalries that we think can drive our fan base.”

Watching the video of Don Garber and you can see his body language when he talks about St. Louis. He wants St. Louis in the league to build up the rivals and "drive our fan base" between KC STL Chicago.
^ Interesting that he mentioned San Jose and LA and not LA and Sacramento. Probably means nothing, but it did stand out to me.

But I'm with you (dmelsh), pattimagee, and DogtownBnR...I'll be shocked if St. Louis isn't picked. Nothing at all against Sacramento, but St. Louis has a deeper pocketed ownership group, a richer soccer history, some of the best youth programs in the country (one of the guys I went to high school with actually plays in the MLS) and some pretty good optics like one of the first majority female ownership groups (in sports) which would play over pretty big in the current discourse. In addition to some potentially great rivalries in Chicago and, especially, Kansas City. I live on the West side of the state and while people over here generally hate St. Louis, they desperately want St. Louis to have an MLS team. Admittedly I don't follow Sporting all that much but I'm not aware of any big geographic rivalry that Sporting has with another team. They're kind of right in the center of a big empty space. Sporting is a good team and they draw big crowds but rivalries can really take it to the next level. St. Louisans may laugh and shrug at the Cubs and viciously hate and despise the Blackhawks (if you're like me) but Cards and Blues games wouldn't be half as fun without them.

St. Louis has the money, the youth programs, the history, a solid stadium plan, receptive local and state governments, and would be right in the center of some solid rivalries. That sounds like a winner to me.
Looks like Sacramento may have hit a snag albeit likely minor
Looks like Sacramento may have hit a snag albeit likely minor
The Mayor wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:46 pm
In addition to some potentially great rivalries in Chicago and, especially, Kansas City.
Don't forget there will be a team in Nashville starting in 2020. If you look at how MLS might want to align itself into conferences, St. Louis makes more sense than another team on the west coast.

Also, soccer fans, don't forget Saint Louis FC starts their season March 9 at 1 PM. No better way to show you want an MLS team in town than supporting the team we have now. I've been to some preseason games and this year's squad looks good.
Some good news:
The commissioner of Major League Soccer, in St. Louis on Monday to meet with regional business leaders, said a local ownership group is just steps away from securing an expansion team.

Commissioner Don Garber lunched with more than two dozen chief executives and business owners from some of the largest companies in St. Louis, and called the show of support for a local franchise “fantastic and remarkable.”

“I think it’s fair to say that it was among the largest or, certainly, the most prominent group of ‘C-level’ leaders in any visit that I’ve had,” Garber told the Post-Dispatch, speaking of the chief executives.
There appear to be some issues yet to resolve, however:
Still, he said, proposed owners Jim Kavanaugh, chief executive of World Wide Technology, and Enterprise Holdings’ Taylor family must nail down corporate sponsorships, and quickly, to prove to the league’s other 27 owners that the St. Louis market can support a team.

“It would really help their bid if they had stadium naming rights and a jersey sponsor in place,” Garber said. “So there is a specific level of financial corporate support.”[...] The league owners meet in April in Los Angeles for their spring meeting, and could make a decision that soon.

Both sides see some urgency: Garber’s visit suggests concerns that the St. Louis owners haven’t announced the big-dollar deals.

And Carolyn Kindle Betz, one of Jack Taylor’s granddaughters and a face of the local effort, said outright on Monday that, if this effort failed, her family would not try again.

“We’re going to do it now,” Kindle Betz said. “We will probably not be here in a year.”[...] Garber said on Monday that he does not feel burned by any of the past attempts [at garnering an MLS team in STL]. Instead, he said he believed they set the groundwork for this one.

“We were missing a handful of things that have really changed in the last year or so,” Garber said on Monday, Kindle Betz sitting to his left. “The first is the involvement of the Taylor family. The second was a real confirmation on the stadium project.”

The league is confident that fans here will support a team. And the corporate showing at Monday’s lunch impressed him, Garber said. It included executives from the natural gas company Spire, electrical supplier Graybar, shoe company Caleres, financial powerhouses Edward Jones, Wells Fargo Advisors and Stifel Financial Corp., plus some of the region’s largest employers, such as BJC Healthcare and SSM Health.
^ If they can get close to two dozen executives from some of St. Louis' biggest companies together, my guess is they could probably find a naming rights and jersey sponsorship deal in there somewhere.
^ Also, this from today's Post-Dispatch (well, I suppose it will actually be in tomorrow's paper).

St. Louis and Sac are the front runners. Everyone else is on the sidelines unless the league expands past 28 teams.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/soccer/ ... -top-story
Sac presented to the league within the last couple weeks. Also said they don't expect any choices made in April.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/ar ... 72439.html
There’s technically no MLS team in Missouri as sportingkc plays in Kansas. Geologically there’s a void there where as California has 3 teams. Sac makes an incredible case for being the 28th but if I were really selecting the best pick I’d go with St Louis for many reasons Anyways we’ll know more in the near future.