Marshawn Lynch and the Media

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
I think Marshawn Lynch's ignoring of the media is maybe the best thing to happen in sports this year. Who cares what he thinks about anything? I care about how he plays football, and he's one of the best in the world. But his opinion on things, who cares?

The media in this country is out of control. There are too many reporters asking too many stupid questions about things that don't matter. The opinions of professional athletes are near the top of the list.

Our society has become obsessed with celebrities, and the media has made itself part of celebrity culture.

Props to Lynch for cutting them down to size.
The fact that they are fining him for refusal to talk to the media while the owners and commissioner are able to skirt and avoid questions about stadium financing, development plans, and especially the brain injuries and CTE is both extremely hypocritical and asinine.
^ Amen.

The NFL occupies a space above the rest of us. They live by and make their own rules.

The media should focus on the league and its rules instead of prying into the personal lives of players.
I'm sort of on both sides here, I guess.

The sports media can be very entitled, and the fits they throw over these things are crazy. Especially when many of the questions they ask are ho-hum, and yield relatively meaningless answers.

And the NFL as a league, is of course awful, with misplaced priorities and hypocrisy galore.

That said, talking to the media is part of Lynch's job responsibilities. It's in the contract. It's just part of the deal. And his act is tried and rude. There are much, much better ways to limit his conversations with the media than how he does it. So I don't cut him any slack, either.
That said, talking to the media is part of Lynch's job responsibilities. It's in the contract. It's just part of the deal.

Understood, similar to a morals clause, but it's just stupid.

The man is paid to play football, not be a media maven.

Morals clauses make sense. Keep your nose clean. Don't embarrass the league, your team, etc.

But being required to talk to the media? That's really dumb.

Refer questions to a paid media hack/spokesperson.

What if a player had a speech impediment, severe nervousness? Would that player still be required to talk to the media?

Leave the players alone. Let 'em play. Appreciate them for their athleticism.

It's enough.
Media helps sell the game. Media is what has elevated the NFL into the status it currently holds. So it's not nothing. The appearances are important to the league.

Now, is one player not talking to the media going to change anything. Definitely not. But I wouldn't say the clause is in the contracts without reason.
Goodell just said Marshawn Lynch has an obligation to talk to the fans. Would someone ask if the owners have a similar obligation to talk to the fans? When was the last time we heard a peep from a Rams owner. The last one I recall was Kroenke saying he has put down considerable "jack" for St. Louis. Bad luck for us. Shahid Khan was a Rams season ticket holder and would have kept the team here.
Would someone ask if the owners have a similar obligation to talk to the fans?

^^ Amen, Amen, a thousand times, Amen!

Personally, I am one helluva lot more interested in what league owners have to say about the future of the league and other official NFL policies, than what any player has to say about anything.

Current media policy is a double standard that treats players as second class citizens, which is ironic since most of them are black people.