MLS2STL

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post1261 posts
On that note - the first game is this Saturday at 4:00pm!!

https://www.saintlouisfc.com/2018-schedule
^ anyone checked on how the meramec is doing?
dmelsh wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:05 pm
San Luis Native wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 pm
rheights wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:03 pm

Is that a joke or do you think they actually have a plan B. I'm clueless so I don't wan to get excited again.
Sorry dude, dry humor, sarcastic comment on my part not showing thru too well without tone voice... Thought everyone was on the same page that there is no plan B and the owner group was made up of a bunch of self serving a holes.
SMH. I get that a lot of people on these boards hate giving money to sports but wow.
SMH that you put words in my mouth. I never said I hated giving money to sports. I have no problem with it if it's
a sensible deal and the ownership group aren't a holes.

One of the biggest complaints I have with the ownership group is that when the expected expansion fee cost dropped by $50 million they had zero interest in lowering their ask of public funds. That right there revealed what kind of partner they would be.
That should've been the point where the city told them to take a hike.
To all of you high and dry soccer fans, Saint Louis FC's home opener is this weekend. Tailgate starts at 2pm, game at 4pm. General Admission tickets start at $18. Go to saintlouisfc.com for more information.
San Luis Native wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:13 pm
dmelsh wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:05 pm
San Luis Native wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Sorry dude, dry humor, sarcastic comment on my part not showing thru too well without tone voice... Thought everyone was on the same page that there is no plan B and the owner group was made up of a bunch of self serving a holes.
SMH. I get that a lot of people on these boards hate giving money to sports but wow.
SMH that you put words in my mouth. I never said I hated giving money to sports. I have no problem with it if it's
a sensible deal and the ownership group aren't a holes.

One of the biggest complaints I have with the ownership group is that when the expected expansion fee cost dropped by $50 million they had zero interest in lowering their ask of public funds. That right there revealed what kind of partner they would be.
That should've been the point where the city told them to take a hike.
Anybody wealthy enough to own a sports team is an a-hole by definition.
Looks like FC Cinn. is going to be announced as the next MLS expansion team.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 635835002/

I would assume that MLS will eventually push Columbus to Austin TX. While not for sure, this eliminates the potential overlap with Columbus and Cincy.

Anyone know when the next round of expansion is? 2020? 2 team I assume.

I'm not sure how much this plays into things with STLFC ownership, but KSDK just did a piece on how unbelievably successful World Wide Technology is and how they are expanding their employment base around the STL metro area. You could look at that in 3 ways.

1) Jim Kavanaugh is really focused on WWT growth, not getting FCSTL to MLS.
2) The success of WWT will give him the resources to fill the gap in the future
3) The success of WWT & the success/promotion to MLS of STLFC are mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure what Mr. Kavanaugh is thinking and how much he truly wants MLS in STL. My understanding is that he is passionate about soccer and wants STLFC in MLS someday. I just don't know to what extent he and his group are willing to stretch financially to make this happen. My guess is that the success of his company can't hurt his MLS aspirations.
Dave Peacock was on the Fastlane yesterday (ESPN Radio) and stated that the ownership group is pretty much done at this point. I don't have the exact quote, but he pretty much said they'd be open if the city came to them with more tax dollars, but that they don't expect that to happen. There is no current plan B or plan to pursue MLS from that ownership group. So we can put to rest any MLS to STL rumors.

He also said that (in his opinion) St. Louis will never be an NBA city due to the strength of the Blues and Cardinals pull for the region.

Edit: Link to those who want to listed. Go to the 5:00 PM hour and he begins talking at 5:15. https://www.101sports.com/show_notes/th ... eepy-head/
^ That is why you need a Jim Kavanaugh at the end of the day instead of a lawyer that just doesn't have the financial means IMO. Reminds me of the old Collinsville proposal years ago where you had some one with connections and enough dollars to get the renderings out but really no means to finance anything of scale.

Not sure if Jim K is there, but nice to have someone with the financial muscle and means to say I want a team period. Or at least say I want a bigger, better soccer stadium for the region, better location and will buy out St. Louis FC team or buy into USL, etc because what the area has in Fenton is not good enough. I think a decent 9k to 12k soccer stadium w option to add 6k would be a plus for the region, whether it be St Louis FC, SLU or Wash U programs or even the hopes of a step up in pro sports ladder.

In the meantime, for the region's sake, will hope that Jim K decides to go all in on a WWT downtown expansion/presence at some point.
^You know Jim Kavanaugh is CEO of Saint Louis FC already, right? It wasn't clear from what you wrote.
Why is Dave Peacock relevant on a sports talk show anymore? That f****ing guy.
Black02AltimaSE wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 am
^You know Jim Kavanaugh is CEO of Saint Louis FC already, right? It wasn't clear from what you wrote.
Thanks, I didn't know he was CEO. Does he actually own the team?

I guess my point is it makes sense to build a stadium if you have a team as your much more vested in the franchise itself. CEO doesn't necessarily means he owns the team. He brings his business experience to the group and at same time he satisfies/continues his interest in soccer for which his time as CEO of FC probably take a lot less time then WWT