2018 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
St. Louis is hosting the 2018 SEC Men's basketball tournament in a month, March 7th-11th at the Scottrrade Center.
This a a huge deal for the City, especially Downtown.

Just curious why I've not heard much of anything about this in the media.

https://stlsports.org/special-event/sec ... asketball/
They don't want to publicize it because they don't want to tip off the downtown troublemakers/miscreants who may want to rob and holdup our SEC visitors.
^^It's a little early for the media to focus on Conference Championship basketball. There's over a month and a half of regular season basketball left. There will be much coverage once the Olympics are over and they're looking for stories.
I'm kind of curious how Arch Madness (which will be Mar 1-4) will draw now that Wichita State left the MVC... they brought a horde of folks to town.
Usually, local sports talk radio and the Frank Cusamanos of the world are all over this way in advance. I've heard more talk about the MVC Tournament lately. You'd think there would be TV and radio ads trying to push tickets.
^ I think most of the ticket pushing is happening in markets of other SEC schools
^True, unlike the MVC, the SEC doesn't need locals to fill the arena. SEC fans will travel very well. No knock on the MVC. SEC schools have larger fan bases.

I just thought there'd be enough seats available to market to locals. Guess we'll see as it gets closer.
STLrainbow wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:20 am
I'm kind of curious how Arch Madness (which will be Mar 1-4) will draw now that Wichita State left the MVC... they brought a horde of folks to town.
Wichita State left: that's gonna hurt. Creighton leaving was also a bad hit.
Not only did the Bluejays and Shockers have great traveling fanbases, but replacing them with a Chicago and Chicagoland school was probably the worst possible outcome for Arch Madness attendance.
DogtownBnR wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 am
I just thought there'd be enough seats available to market to locals. Guess we'll see as it gets closer.
Having witnessed the change the SEC made in Columbia . . . no. Probably not. During SEC games the town felt like UMC/Nebraska games used to feel. (Though with more pearls. Pearls. At sporting events. Only in the south.) I expect they'll fill the hall without us. And that's fine.
I could be wrong, but I think other than the premier matchups and Mizzou games (assuming they remain an above average bunch), we will need local support.

I base this off of my experiences going to Big Ten Tournaments in both Chicago and Indianapolis. Big Ten fanbases are huge and travel well, but ultimately, the majority of the fans are from the semi-local school (Illinois for Chicago, Indiana for Indianapolis) and the top tier schools. (Illinois used to pack the house when I was going because they were outstanding back then.) But the numbers tend to dwindle with certain games or if those fanbases aren't motivated to show up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is going to be good for business as they say, but I wouldn't assume a full house necessarily. A traveling Kentucky fan base and a motivated Mizzou fanbase are the best hopes for filling it all weekend.
The SEC and the MVC tournament’s are going to provide a much needed boost for downtown bars and restaurants. Hopefully patrons visit mom and pops, not BPV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wabash wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:39 pm
Not only did the Bluejays and Shockers have great traveling fanbases, but replacing them with a Chicago and Chicagoland school was probably the worst possible outcome for Arch Madness attendance.
Why are "Chicago and Chicagoland school" the worst possible outcome for Arch Madness attendance?
I don't know about the Chicagoland factor, but just in terms of fanbases, the two newcomers are awful.
They're both at the bottom of the attendance standings, by a distant margin. Valpo is fielding a poor team this year, but Loyola is likely going to win the league while simultaneously finishing last in attendance.
Loyola averages 2232, and Valparaiso is averaging 2699. The current MVC average home attendance is 3828.
The MVC isn't even opening the upper bowl for Arch Madness this year.

As for the SEC, Kentucky will obviously bring thousands, as will Mizzou. The others (maybe Arkansas excepted?), will bring hundreds, right? I would think local attendance would be needed.
eee123 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 pm
I don't know about the Chicagoland factor, but just in terms of fanbases, the two newcomers are awful.
They're both at the bottom of the attendance standings, by a distant margin. Valpo is fielding a poor team this year, but Loyola is likely going to win the league while simultaneously finishing last in attendance.
Loyola averages 2232, and Valparaiso is averaging 2699. The current MVC average home attendance is 3828.
The MVC isn't even opening the upper bowl for Arch Madness this year.

As for the SEC, Kentucky will obviously bring thousands, as will Mizzou. The others (maybe Arkansas excepted?), will bring hundreds, right? I would think local attendance would be needed.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.