St. Louis Blues

Got love for St. Louis sports? Let's talk Pro, College, High School, or otherwise.
First unread post546 posts
^ just to clarify, the suit has nothing to do with the city treasurer. the Blues have filed suit against Comptroller Green for refusing to sign off on the bonds. and they are doing that in retaliation for Alderman Spencer (rightly) filing suit against them. from what I've heard, the lease agreement--which the board of aldermen didn't even get to read before voting on the funding, and which was finally leaked to the board after months of Sunshine Law attempts by alderman Spencer--is very clear on who is responsible for building maintenance and upgrades.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:42 pm
^ just to clarify, the suit has nothing to do with the city treasurer. the Blues have filed suit against Comptroller Green for refusing to sign off on the bonds. and they are doing that in retaliation for Alderman Spencer (rightly) filing suit against them. from what I've heard, the lease agreement--which the board of aldermen didn't even get to read before voting on the funding, and which was finally leaked to the board after months of Sunshine Law attempts by alderman Spencer--is very clear on who is responsible for building maintenance and upgrades.
There is nothing "rightly" about filing a lawsuit when a vote doesn't go your way. Alderman Spencer spins the facts to meet her agenda. Her lawsuit is nothing short of an attempt to nullify my vote and my representation within the BoA.
^ well-said.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:42 pm
Thanks Urban for clarification
dredger wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 am
I'm assuming the County drama will be short lived with the Fed waiver/approval of ice complex under current admin
According to this just published Tony Messenger article the Fed seems to be not taking a very approving view of constructing the complex.

I have to agree w/the Fed. I don't get it. Why is STL CO gifting park land (mind you that is in a flood plain) to the STL Blues to build a massive indoor facility surrounded by lotsa lotsa parking? There are a million other places this could be built. The Blues are a for-profit organization. Let them buy their own private land and build their complex there.
San Luis Native wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am
dredger wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 am
I'm assuming the County drama will be short lived with the Fed waiver/approval of ice complex under current admin
According to this just published Tony Messenger article the Fed seems to be not taking a very approving view of constructing the complex.

I have to agree w/the Fed. I don't get it. Why is STL CO gifting park land (mind you that is in a flood plain) to the STL Blues to build a massive indoor facility surrounded by lotsa lotsa parking? There are a million other places this could be built. The Blues are a for-profit organization. Let them buy their own private land and build their complex there.
I'm pretty sure the start work and ask forgiveness later instead of beg for permission first didn't go over to well with the Feds or any regulator for that matter. So the Feds have no choice but express frustration, scolding position, and even threaten not granting the waiver

However, still standing by my position that the Feds will quietly grant the waiver after everyone has their say and the uproar settles down. This is an admin that is publically advocating and is actively rolling back previous executive orders to promote development one way or another. Yes, Howards Bend is a floodplain but far from a national recognized area that gets a lot of attention.
If anything good can come out of the flooding in Houston, hopefully everyone will finally understand the idiocy of building in flood plains.
robertn42 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 pm
There is nothing "rightly" about filing a lawsuit when a vote doesn't go your way. Alderman Spencer spins the facts to meet her agenda.
nice try. i know sports is more important to you than basic city services and the city's credit rating and all, but when your representative is denied access to the lease agreement and the outcome of the vote clearly violates the terms of said lease agreement and possibly violates the state constitution as well, there is everything "rightly" about the lawsuit.

robertn42 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 pm
Her lawsuit is nothing short of an attempt to nullify my vote and my representation within the BoA.
give me a f*cking break.
framer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:45 am
If anything good can come out of the flooding in Houston, hopefully everyone will finally understand the idiocy of building in flood plains.
Tru dat bro
Anyone know where there are some pictures of the completed renovations for this year? I can't find an article or anything?
Messenger: With park site mired in political mud, Blues look elsewhere for practice ice

If what is said in Messenger's article above is true, I think Stenger, Shelia Sweeney, Blitz and the Blues owe St. Louis County residents an explanation.
I'm still at the believe that the Armory would have been a really great venue for Blues practice facility, city sports leagues and possible college teams, SLU, UMSL and or Wash U. However, that ship sailed.

So my question, where will Blues go if the current mess mired in the mud falls apart. I assume Chesterfield with a youth sports facility proposal would be the most likely outcome. However, any other thoughts, locations? A campus facility perhaps? UMSL might work as it remains in the county which is the other factor, consideration
dredger wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm
So my question, where will Blues go if the current mess mired in the mud falls apart. I assume Chesterfield with a youth sports facility proposal would be the most likely outcome. However, any other thoughts, locations?
Maybe Sweeney and the Blues can convince city politicians a "stormwater project" is needed in Forest Park. :lol:
San Luis Native wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:27 pm
dredger wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 pm
So my question, where will Blues go if the current mess mired in the mud falls apart. I assume Chesterfield with a youth sports facility proposal would be the most likely outcome. However, any other thoughts, locations?
Maybe Sweeney and the Blues can convince city politicians a "stormwater project" is needed in Forest Park. :lol:
Believe MSD already convinced city politicians that knocking down houses qualifies as a storm water project to meet EPA decree. So I don't think you would be too far off.....
I wrote an email to Blues President and CEO Chris Zimmerman more or less pleading with him to take advantage of the mud everything is stuck in and invest in the city with this facility. He probably won't read it or respond, but then again, that's what I thought about the angry email that I probably shouldn't have sent to John Mozeliak and Bill DeWitt (the third as it turned out), and sure enough I got responses from both of them.

I just really want them to build a small facility on one of the lots nearby the Scottrade Center on Clark Ave. It can be something of a mixed use development too.

And then along with this facility, imagine them actually living up to their goals of growing the game by really investing in a youth program in the city. Something that actually gives kids who couldn't otherwise afford it a chance to be a part of the sport.

Yes, we need to capitalize on the growing youth hockey scene in St. Louis by building more and better rinks where the current players are—in the wealthy white suburbs—but why not do both?

A few teams have started to put their facilities in the city, including a really cool facility in Buffalo. But I'm not sure any organization has truly invested in serving those who can't afford to play. It'd be really special if the Blues could be that team.
jstriebel wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm
I wrote an email to Blues President and CEO Chris Zimmerman more or less pleading with him to take advantage of the mud everything is stuck in and invest in the city with this facility. He probably won't read it or respond, but then again, that's what I thought about the angry email that I probably shouldn't have sent to John Mozeliak and Bill DeWitt (the third as it turned out), and sure enough I got responses from both of them.

I just really want them to build a small facility on one of the lots nearby the Scottrade Center on Clark Ave. It can be something of a mixed use development too.

And then along with this facility, imagine them actually living up to their goals of growing the game by really investing in a youth program in the city. Something that actually gives kids who couldn't otherwise afford it a chance to be a part of the sport.

Yes, we need to capitalize on the growing youth hockey scene in St. Louis by building more and better rinks where the current players are—in the wealthy white suburbs—but why not do both?

A few teams have started to put their facilities in the city, including a really cool facility in Buffalo. But I'm not sure any organization has truly invested in serving those who can't afford to play. It'd be really special if the Blues could be that team.
Downtown Oakland's Ice Center is good example if they respond. Believe it has two rinks and is home to a semi pro/development team affiliated with SJ Sharks. My family has been there a few times when it is open for public skate. Nice facility, nothing fancy but a great location in uptown and don't see why something similar couldn't work in STL

http://www.oaklandice.com/
Anyone think St.Louis Blues have a shot at hosting one of the NHL All-Star games they submitted a bid for and what are the chances Kansas City decide to put in a bid for the NHL All-Star game? Oh wait they don't have a hockey team :lol:
Have to make a little fun seems like whatever St.Louis does Kansas City wants to do too!
dredger wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:26 pm
jstriebel wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Downtown Oakland's Ice Center is good example if they respond. Believe it has two rinks and is home to a semi pro/development team affiliated with SJ Sharks. My family has been there a few times when it is open for public skate. Nice facility, nothing fancy but a great location in uptown and don't see why something similar couldn't work in STL

http://www.oaklandice.com/
Totally agree. I've been hoping for something like this for a while.

Loved the idea of the Armory, but then the redevelopment plan came along. They'll get much easier access to space in the city, too. Not sure they will be able to justify building over the immediately adjacent lots, but that'd be great use of the space. Seas of parking around stadiums just don't feel good. I'd rather strong walkable neighborhoods.

Downtown Columbus also has a connected ice rink to Nationwide Arena. It's pretty cool. Really, the whole neighborhood around it is nice. Lots of density, building up to the proper setback, etc. They did it right.
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 pm
Anyone think St.Louis Blues have a shot at hosting one of the NHL All-Star games they submitted a bid for and what are the chances Kansas City decide to put in a bid for the NHL All-Star game? Oh wait they don't have a hockey team :lol:
Have to make a little fun seems like whatever St.Louis does Kansas City wants to do too!
Amen. As a former KC resident, that city is and has always been jealous of anything STL does.
survivor147 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:26 pm
St.Louis1764 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:46 pm
Amen. As a former KC resident, that city is and has always been jealous of anything STL does.
From what I having been hearing, the Blues would be shocked if they don't get one of the two years.