Honor students being targeted for attacks at McKinley High

Interested in parenting and education in St. Louis? Share here.
This so very sad. I hate this more than anything. 4 honor roll students put on a hit list with one of them attacked by 20 students.

http://kplr11.com/2015/02/03/caught-on-camera-mckinley-junior-attacked-by-nearly-20-students/
People that are not talented or smart enough to have their own triumphs will try to pull others down to their level. I Say all 20 kids should be expelled from stl public school for life. I was bullied and made fun of in middle school and high for being a math team member and honer roll student. Looking back now I am the one making almost 120 k a year
Not sure expulsion is the right move given these 20 kids are going to be adults in our society very soon. They already seem like they might be more of the trouble making variety, but I'd rather not make it any more of a guarantee than we have to.

That said, there has to be some kind of major consequence. This is just horrible. Not what SLPS needs at all.
Is this the same McKinley high school that is a magnet school for gifted students and only has a total enrollment of about 100? If so, this makes zero sense and I suspect the article might not be fully-accurate.
Is it possible for a local college or university to offer them dual credit opportunities? Get them to a higher learning campus to finish HS? Clearly the four aren't safe at McKinley, but instead of punishing those who attacked and expelling them (diminishing their future) let's give credit where credit is due and reward the honor roll students who were working their butt off in the first place.

Of course criminal charges will most likely be a factor here too.
The problem is SLPS treats its ordinary high schools as a repository for braindead trash. Which is beyond stupid. Parents should hot have to worry about their kid being attacked simply because their kid didn't get into the magnet, charter, or gifted school - which really do weed out the good kids and make the regular publics worse. These kids need to be expelled and put into 24/7 culture remediation academies with zero tolerance for ghettard behavior, rather than being allowed to ruin the neighborhood schools with their anti-human behavior.
onecity wrote:
The problem is SLPS treats its ordinary high schools as a repository for braindead trash. Which is beyond stupid. Parents should hot have to worry about their kid being attacked simply because their kid didn't get into the magnet, charter, or gifted school - which really do weed out the good kids and make the regular publics worse. These kids need to be expelled and put into 24/7 culture remediation academies with zero tolerance for ghettard behavior, rather than being allowed to ruin the neighborhood schools with their anti-human behavior.

dose stl public schools still bus kids across the city everyday ?
onecity wrote:

This wasn't an ordinary high school -- it's one of two gifted magnet high schools. Most of the building houses a middle school, which is fed by Kennard Elementary (a gifted magnet) and beginning in two years, Mallinckrodt Elementary (a magnet school that has been transitioning to a gifted curriculum one grade per year for the last several years). The McKinley middle schoolers then graduate to either Metro High or McKinley High. However, McKinley High's enrollment is very small - only about 100 students (I think the middle school is about 300 kids).

Unless there's some exception for McKinley High that I don't know about, all of the students, honor roll and non-honor roll would have had to pass IQ, academic skills and/or other standardized tests and maintain certain GPA and attendance levels to stay at McKinley High. There's got to be more to this story - it does appear that there was bullying, but I doubt it was because of the honor roll. Even if the perpetrators were the dumbest 20% of all the students at the school, they would still likely be B-students with a enough self-control to come to school and do homework most days.

FWIW, I have one daughter at Mallinckrodt now and another starting next year so I am very concerned about this.
I have a feeling there might be more to this story than is being initially reported.
Attacking fellow students in a mob fashion should equate to all of them being dismissed from this allegedly gifted school. They can either be placed in Vashon or elsewhere. This is exactly the type of behavior that has hurt the city and perpetuated flight by all races out of the city. That being said, fights happen in schools across the socio-economic spectrum, but certainly not at the same rates.
Attorneys said the district has 72 hours to respond or their next stop is a federal or state court.

Demands:

Removal of principal of McKinley School
Refer for prosecution students involved in attack
Transfer of victim of assault and any other students fearing for their safety to a comparable school.
Counseling for victim and parent of victim and any other student emotionally impacted by the incident.
Revamping of school board policy with respect to handling fights and threats of fights.

http://fox2now.com/2015/02/03/parents-outraged-over-attacks-at-mckinley-high-school/

PTO meeting on Monday at 6:30...sometimes you have to fight for change and this is one of those times. Sure it's easier to quit, and some will. You are either part of the problem or the solution. Without knowing all the facts (and it's hard to get facts from emotional 16 year olds), this seems like unacceptable "leadership" from the Principal if the following statement is true:

A second 16-year-old McKinley High School student says she was threatened last Friday and was part of a hit list. The student says she gave the principal information on everyone involved before an attack later that day.
I know that when I was a student at a West County high school during the 80's there was friction among the deseg students . Some of the first students that came really wanted a good education and leapt at the chance to come out, worked hard and got good grades. A friend of mine and a gal I dated were in that group.

Some of the second wave of kids weren't the best students and were signed up by parents trying to help them out. It was an interesting dynamic as it added another layer of friction since you already had the black/white issue and the black on black battles just added to it.