Amazon HQ2 Competition National Proposals

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
Im curious on how a rendering of the North Riverfront/East St.Louis rendering would look?
So far, I believe Newark, NJ is the only bid that has publicly released their offer.

$7 Billion from the state of NJ to upgrade transport networks, as well as several plots of free land in downtown Newark. The NYC Metro is experiencing serious turf battles over this.

As more bids are made public, I think it would be interesting to see what we are going up against.
I heard some interesting commentary on an NJ Transit train this evening regarding Newark’s bid to get Amazon.

Basically, Newark’s $7 Billion is not going to be enough to get Amazon to move to the state. Newark apparently has done polling amongst Amazon workers in Seattle as well as with young tech workers in New York.

They asked the following questions:
1.if Amazon was going to relocate their second headquarters to downtown Newark, would you elect to live and work at it?
2.What is your overall opinion of the city of Newark?

Seattle:
-question 1
Yes: 26%
No:74%

-question 2
Positive: 14%
Negative: 86%

New York:

-question 1
Yes: 22%
No: 78%

Question 2
Positive: 5%
Negative: 95%

Absolutely shocking numbers. I wonder if this would weigh on the decision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:54 pm
I heard some interesting commentary on an NJ Transit train this evening regarding Newark’s bid to get Amazon.

Basically, Newark’s $7 Billion is not going to be enough to get Amazon to move to the state. Newark apparently has done polling amongst Amazon workers in Seattle as well as with young tech workers in New York.

1.if Amazon was going to relocate their second headquarters to downtown Newark, would you elect to live and work at it?

Seattle:
-question 1

-question 2

New York:

-question 1

Question 2

I can't imagine St. Louis would poll much better than Newark amongst Seattleites and New Yorkers.
stlgasm wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Seattle:
-question 1

-question 2

New York:

-question 1

Question 2

I can't imagine St. Louis would poll much better than Newark amongst Seattleites and New Yorkers.
In fairness, at least in New York, there is a huge St Louis “expat” community. There’s literally a bar dedicated to St Louis that serves stl pizza and shows Blues games in Chelsea. Not to mention, Andy Cohen [who I realized recently is a HUGE celebrity in NYC] is an unabashedly proud St Louisan who literally does nothing but talk about the city on WWHL.

St. Louis would probably poll highly in NYC.

From my time away from STL, the only places that I have encountered negative reactions about being from St Louis was in Omaha and Kansas City. Most everyone knows the Arch, Budweiser. I’d say St Louis lands more in the “we-don’t-really-care-about-the-Midwest” realm. Which isn’t bad or good for that matter.

Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

In fairness, at least in New York, there is a huge St Louis “expat” community. There’s literally a bar dedicated to St Louis that serves stl pizza and shows Blues games in Chelsea. Not to mention, Andy Cohen [who I realized recently is a HUGE celebrity in NYC] is an unabashedly proud St Louisan who literally does nothing but talk about the city on WWHL.

From my time away from STL, the only places that I have encountered negative reactions about being from St Louis was in Omaha and Kansas City. Most everyone knows the Arch, Budweiser. I’d say St Louis lands more in the “we-don’t-really-care-about-the-Midwest” realm. Which isn’t bad or good for that matter.

It's one thing to have a favorable impression of St. Louis, but it's another to consider relocating there. There are thousands of expats in New York from everywhere, and just because a portion of the populace roots for a city's sports team doesn't mean they'd want to move there. Newark is closer to Manhattan than Chesterfield is to downtown St. Louis, so that earns Newark some major points if you ask me.

BTW- I'm just playing devil's advocate- you know I love St. Louis more than life itself! The reality is, we have a pretty lousy national image these days. I remember talking with a Teach for America recruiter a couple years ago, and she told me that out of all the cities Teach for America operates in, St. Louis was the 2nd to last choice for applicants overall (I think we ranked ahead of Greensboro, NC, that's it). Think about that.

Another thing-- I just watched the new Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown episode featuring Pittsburgh, and damn, what an appealing and authentic portrayal of that city. The fact that Bourdain flat-out dismissed St. Louis as a city he plans to highlight on a future episode when he was here several years ago on a book tour just adds insult to injury. Truthfully, I'd rather get Anthony Bourdain here for a St. Louis episode than land Amazon's HQ. I think he adds a heavy dose of validation and street cred to a city, and just think how photogenic the city and its people would be on his show. It's a damn shame.
stlgasm wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 am

The fact that Bourdain flat-out dismissed St. Louis as a city he plans to highlight on a future episode when he was here several years ago on a book tour just adds insult to injury.
Was there justification given for this? I've always thought it odd he hasn't yet come to STL on No Reservations/Parts Unknown - he always seems "up" on down cities.
Probably because provel.
Pittsburgh, Detroit, and to an extent Cleveland have all been getting way better national coverage than us lately. My wife is from Pittsburgh and it's a great city, but my wife actually loves to visit St. Louis more. She always tells me that St. Louis is like a better version of Pittsburgh and as far as African American culture it's on another level. My wife was just shocked at how many middle class African Americans live in the greater St. Louis area (even though our perception is that St. Louis is a horrible place for black people), but keep in mind that Pittsburgh has one of the poorest and least educated black populations in America.

As far as Anthony Bourdain, he's an a**hole in general (even though he has gotten better over the years) and I really could care less what he thinks, but I do think it does speak to St. Louis' national image problem. People either think nothing of St. Louis or very surface level stuff like Cardinals, Nelly, etc. (hell most don't even know we are the home of Budweiser and a major beer city....losing that) or they have a completely negative perception, racism, Ferguson, slow paced, violent, urban decay, etc. The vast majority have no idea about the rich history, fabulous architecture, cultural amenities, distinct sense of place it has. Most people really think of St. Louis as Indianapolis or Columbus with an Arch, except just more violent and rundown.

In general, St. Louis just does a horrible job at selling itself. I don't know if it is the fractured nature of our government and business community or maybe a cultural nuance of the area. It's really sad too, because I think St. Louis would have more people moving there and investing big money into the area, if they actually knew it existed. There is no excuse for Nashville, Indianapolis, Columbus, Kansas City, etc. to be growing faster than St. Louis especially among millennials, these cities don't have nearly as many interesting urban neighborhoods or light rail, but some how they are kicking our butt all over the place. A unified government structure would really help St. Louis in my opinion.
Truthfully, I'd rather get Anthony Bourdain here for a St. Louis episode than land Amazon's HQ.
surely you're kidding... ?
goat314 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 am
Pittsburgh, Detroit, and to an extent Cleveland have all been getting way better national coverage than us lately. My wife is from Pittsburgh and it's a great city, but my wife actually loves to visit St. Louis more. She always tells me that St. Louis is like a better version of Pittsburgh and as far as African American culture it's on another level. My wife was just shocked at how many middle class African Americans live in the greater St. Louis area (even though our perception is that St. Louis is a horrible place for black people), but keep in mind that Pittsburgh has one of the poorest and least educated black populations in America.

As far as Anthony Bourdain, he's an a**hole in general (even though he has gotten better over the years) and I really could care less what he thinks, but I do think it does speak to St. Louis' national image problem. People either think nothing of St. Louis or very surface level stuff like Cardinals, Nelly, etc. (hell most don't even know we are the home of Budweiser and a major beer city....losing that) or they have a completely negative perception, racism, Ferguson, slow paced, violent, urban decay, etc. The vast majority have no idea about the rich history, fabulous architecture, cultural amenities, distinct sense of place it has. Most people really think of St. Louis as Indianapolis or Columbus with an Arch, except just more violent and rundown.

In general, St. Louis just does a horrible job at selling itself. I don't know if it is the fractured nature of our government and business community or maybe a cultural nuance of the area. It's really sad too, because I think St. Louis would have more people moving there and investing big money into the area, if they actually knew it existed. There is no excuse for Nashville, Indianapolis, Columbus, Kansas City, etc. to be growing faster than St. Louis especially among millennials, these cities don't have nearly as many interesting urban neighborhoods or light rail, but some how they are kicking our butt all over the place. A unified government structure would really help St. Louis in my opinion.
Excellent rant!!
Ha! Maybe we don't want Bourdain here after all:

Uh Oh: Pittsburghers are very upset with Anthony Bourdain

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/food/2 ... 1508773521
Agree with you 100%, goat314. urban_dilettante- thanks for sharing the Post-Gazette article. I thought the episode painted a pretty cool picture of Pittsburgh overall, or at least (being from a city that shares many similarities), a familiar one.

I truthfully have mixed feelings about the Amazon bid. Obviously, it would be a game-changer for the region, but landing it it would be both a blessing and a curse in many ways.

But at the end of the day, when the governor of our state posts this on social media, "The Satanic Temple, Planned Parenthood, and the ACLU are suing Missouri because of our conservative reforms. We must be doing something right!", do we really think any progressive company would choose MISSOURAH as a place that can attract and retain the best and brightest? Greitens is such an embarrassment.
urban_dilettante wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:58 pm
Ha! Maybe we don't want Bourdain here after all:

Uh Oh: Pittsburghers are very upset with Anthony Bourdain

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/food/2 ... 1508773521
LOL @ the comments. Whining about how AB portrayed PIT & then called him a SJW.
stlgasm wrote:
Chalupas54 wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 am

It's one thing to have a favorable impression of St. Louis, but it's another to consider relocating there. There are thousands of expats in New York from everywhere, and just because a portion of the populace roots for a city's sports team doesn't mean they'd want to move there. Newark is closer to Manhattan than Chesterfield is to downtown St. Louis, so that earns Newark some major points if you ask me.

BTW- I'm just playing devil's advocate- you know I love St. Louis more than life itself! The reality is, we have a pretty lousy national image these days. I remember talking with a Teach for America recruiter a couple years ago, and she told me that out of all the cities Teach for America operates in, St. Louis was the 2nd to last choice for applicants overall (I think we ranked ahead of Greensboro, NC, that's it). Think about that.

Another thing-- I just watched the new Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown episode featuring Pittsburgh, and damn, what an appealing and authentic portrayal of that city. The fact that Bourdain flat-out dismissed St. Louis as a city he plans to highlight on a future episode when he was here several years ago on a book tour just adds insult to injury. Truthfully, I'd rather get Anthony Bourdain here for a St. Louis episode than land Amazon's HQ. I think he adds a heavy dose of validation and street cred to a city, and just think how photogenic the city and its people would be on his show. It's a damn shame.
No you’re completely right, but Newark is not at all a nice alternative to NYC. Newark is a very awful place and I actually don’t say that lightly. I mean that with full weight. The city’s so called renaissance literally is non existent. Newark is filthy and gross. I -in all seriousness- have felt much safer in some of the most damned parts of North St Louis than I ever have within the city limits of Newark. I am genuinely surprised that New Jersey did not submit Jersey City as the bid location. JC is beautiful and has absolutely incredible views.

Sorry for that rant, I just genuinely have never had good experiences in Newark and the whole ad campaign suggesting that Newark is a new hub of innovation is really a total lie.

Back on the topic of perception-

I would really like to know if anyone else on this forum is currently not living in the St Louis area or in the Midwest at all. I’ve been away for 6+ years but visit very frequently. I really think that I’m having a totally different experience than everyone else. I haven’t once been asked about the St Louis crime problem or Ferguson, even when engaged in conversations where something like that would come up.

But; there definitely is one and I must be an outlier. I think it would be worth it for either the Regional Chamber or Explore St Louis to contemplate running a regional ad campaign about our region. Chicago has billboards all over NYC touting how much the city has to offer, even with Chicago being blasted for its mayhem on cable news. Maybe that would work? I think putting ads in Chicago would be a great start, but we need to have some self love of our own. The self hatred in St Louis *is* far and away a huge problem.

stlgasm wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm
But at the end of the day, when the governor of our state posts this on social media, "The Satanic Temple, Planned Parenthood, and the ACLU are suing Missouri because of our conservative reforms. We must be doing something right!", do we really think any progressive company would choose MISSOURAH as a place that can attract and retain the best and brightest? Greitens is such an embarrassment.
he totally is an embarrassment, but a progressive company as large as Amazon would have lot of sway over state government and i'm sure Bezos knows that. republicans in Jeff City will abandon their socially conservative ideals in a second if Amazon comes in and tells them to dance. they're just useless, pandering, hypocrite clowns.
Chicago and Illinois are offering up $2 Billion.
Jeff Bezos’ Heart Breaks A Little Reading Albany’s Amazon Headquarters Pitch

https://www.theonion.com/jeff-bezos-hea ... 1819819152
goat314 wrote:Pittsburgh, Detroit, and to an extent Cleveland have all been getting way better national coverage than us lately. My wife is from Pittsburgh and it's a great city, but my wife actually loves to visit St. Louis more. She always tells me that St. Louis is like a better version of Pittsburgh and as far as African American culture it's on another level. My wife was just shocked at how many middle class African Americans live in the greater St. Louis area (even though our perception is that St. Louis is a horrible place for black people), but keep in mind that Pittsburgh has one of the poorest and least educated black populations in America.

Wow. My thoughts exactly. I hope that I would still think the same even if I moved elsewhere someday. I grew up in Oklahoma but prefer the weather here, the more progressive less racist people here, and the far superior cultural institutions and architecture. I travel enough to see a lot of other cities. Maybe similar experiences are why so many former St Louisans turn out for Cards games in other cities. Ran across a St Louisan tour guide when in Switzerland recently. His wife worked for Pfizer and was transferred there. He couldn’t say enough good things about our town to the whole bus. Made us proud.

gary kreie wrote:
goat314 wrote:Pittsburgh, Detroit, and to an extent Cleveland have all been getting way better national coverage than us lately. My wife is from Pittsburgh and it's a great city, but my wife actually loves to visit St. Louis more. She always tells me that St. Louis is like a better version of Pittsburgh and as far as African American culture it's on another level. My wife was just shocked at how many middle class African Americans live in the greater St. Louis area (even though our perception is that St. Louis is a horrible place for black people), but keep in mind that Pittsburgh has one of the poorest and least educated black populations in America.

Wow. My thoughts exactly. I hope that I would still think the same even if I moved elsewhere someday. I grew up in Oklahoma but prefer the weather here, the more progressive less racist people here, and the far superior cultural institutions and architecture. I travel enough to see a lot of other cities. Maybe similar experiences are why so many former St Louisans turn out for Cards games in other cities. Ran across a St Louisan tour guide when in Switzerland recently. His wife worked for Pfizer and was transferred there. He couldn’t say enough good things about our town to the whole bus. Made us proud.

This is so true. Wear a cards hat anywhere in the world- someone from St Louis will find you.