Downtown LA Boom

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
Downtown Los Angeles hasn't seen this much construction since the 1920s

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-d ... story.html

On the corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Figueroa Street in downtown Los Angeles, workers are putting the finishing touches on the Wilshire Grand, the West Coast’s tallest building. Owned by Korean Air, it rises 1,100 feet and will have a hotel, offices and observation deck when finished.

Two blocks away, China’s Greenland Group is busy erecting the four-tower Metropolis community, a $1-billion development with 350 hotel rooms and more than 1,500 condos....

The amount of building is staggering, and unlike the two-decade expansion seen in the 1970s and 1980s — which largely consisted of corporate office towers on Bunker Hill — the current construction is varied and more widespread....

But as mentioned in some other threads about hot cities, with the huge amount of product coming online things may begin to taper off in LA...

As a result, lenders and investors are growing more cautious on projects they will fund — a pullback underway in other marquee markets across the nation, including New York City and San Francisco.
^ Here's an LA Times pic of the Wilshire Grand under construction, which will be the largest tower in the Western US

fortunately LA got rid of the flat roofs for emergency helicopter evacuation rule.
Downtown LA is pitiful. Really hope this new wave of construction can help make the area nicer.
^ definitely low energy historically. I'd like to check it out now... also downtown Houston and see how it is doing since my days there... like dt LA it wasn't a place to be after the workers all left 'cept for a few arts venues, etc.
I visited downtown LA for the first time a few years ago and thought it was incredible. The east side of downtown just feels like an authentically american big city.

All of these are taken on Broadway:

^ I'm up for returning with you to steal that sweet, sweet Broadway Bar sign!
STLrainbow wrote:
^ Here's an LA Times pic of the Wilshire Grand under construction, which will be the largest tower in the Western US

Without that glorified flagpole on top, the Wilshire wouldn't even be as tall as the existing US Bank Tower in downtown LA.