Under Armour CEO and Baltimore

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016- ... vin-plank/

A few highlights:

For Plank, the revitalization project extends beyond Under Armour. “We have 250,000 people making Under Armour something at any given moment,” he says. “In the next three years, we’ll add another 200,000-plus. And zero of them are pegged to come back to the U.S., because we’re all chasing cheap labor all over Malaysia and the far corners of the earth. It’s a crime. We couldn’t find a way to get 1,000 jobs back here? Or 5,000 jobs? Or 10,000 jobs? When you look at what’s happening in Ferguson, what’s happening in Baltimore—it’s jobs, we need jobs, and we’re shedding all our jobs to other places. The ability for us to bring that back, that’s the big idea.”

Plank owned a five-acre parcel in an industrial part of Baltimore, where he planned to build a whiskey distillery. The land was in a former brownfield site known as Port Covington. That the area was largely uninhabited was part of its appeal, he says. “We wouldn’t be kicking out little old ladies with 30 cats.” Over the next few years, he spent more than $100 million of his own money buying up real estate in the area, ultimately acquiring 266 acres under the umbrella of his real estate investment arm, Sagamore Development.

In January, Sagamore announced its plans for Port Covington, which included a 4 million-square-foot headquarters for Under Armour and much, much more. Over the next 20 years, Sagamore intends to essentially build a neighborhood from scratch. Comprising almost 50 city blocks, Port Covington will be larger than Baltimore’s best-known tourist attraction, the Inner Harbor, and one of the biggest urban renewal projects under way in the U.S. If all goes according to plan, Port Covington will be home to 7,500 housing units, a hotel, shopping, two light-rail stops, and a stable for the city’s police horses.

End highlights.

On the other hand, Apple CEO Tim Cook doesn't believe Americans have the skills or the temperment to do the job.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tim-co ... 2015-12-20
Great read. It just highlights what a shame it is that our corporate community isn't more involved in the long term development of our city. We don't have a Gilbert or a Plank.
This sounds similar to The south lake Union area of Seattle, the neighborhood that Amazon (re)built. I spent 4 days there earlier this month and can't recall seeing a single parking garage. I got the feeling most employees live and work in the same neighborhood. My friend sold his car and rely's solely on the trolley and uber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk