NYC central park reimagined...

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
A wild idea, but very interesting imagining the possibilities... only in NY.

http://www.evolo.us/competition/new-york-horizon/
Yeah interesting idea. I'm sure it would be an even bigger draw for tourists, although it would be very expensive and reduce the amount of usable park land for people that live there. Didn't their subway system flood recently during big storms?
Seems like a pretty terrible idea at odds with the Olmsted plan and the Mannahatta Project's efforts to restore ecological communities. I am sure it would also fill up with water and require a vast system of pumps completely unable to keep things from being soggy all the time.
A Sunken Skyscraper in Central Park Is the Worst Idea in History - CityLab

This idea is impossible. It isn’t a good idea to tear up Central Park. That’s a bad idea. That’s an immoral idea. Or it would be an immoral idea, if it were a serious proposal, but it is not. It is deeply unserious. But that isn’t the problem, really. The problem is Contestism.
CarexCurator wrote:
Seems like a pretty terrible idea at odds with the Olmsted plan and the Mannahatta Project's efforts to restore ecological communities. I am sure it would also fill up with water and require a vast system of pumps completely unable to keep things from being soggy all the time.

I don't think that's what the Manhattan Project's goal was in the slightest. Quite the contrary, Oppenheimer & Fermi were helping to destroy ecology.
Yeah, this concept is so far removed from any sense of possibility that I just don't see how it was named the winner. Guess you'd have to read the competition rules.
ricke002 wrote:
CarexCurator wrote:

I don't think that's what the Manhattan Project's goal was in the slightest. Quite the contrary, Oppenheimer & Fermi were helping to destroy ecology.

Was that a joke? :roll:

Start here: https://www.ted.com/talks/eric_sanderson_pictures_new_york_before_the_city?language=en
CarexCurator wrote:
ricke002 wrote:
CarexCurator wrote:

Was that a joke? :roll:

Start here: https://www.ted.com/talks/eric_sanderson_pictures_new_york_before_the_city?language=en

Only sort of.

YOU start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project
You guys do realize that The Manhattan Project and The Mannahatta Project are two completely different things, right?
framer wrote:
You guys do realize that The Manhattan Project and The Mannahatta Project are two completely different things, right?

I just don't think Curex was on board with my sarcasm/vained ignorace
Curex! :oops:
ricke002 wrote:
CarexCurator wrote:

LOL!
come on people, these are just pie-in-the-sky ideas to give others meat to chew on in the future. i was reading over that link someone supplied above where the author is complaining about the immorality of the idea. really? :roll: yes, you have to read over these ideas with a grain of salt, but i appreciate the vision that some of these proposals have.

i love the idea of making the walls of the sunken park into a below ground skyscraper... with views of mountains no less!