Nashville

Discuss anything urban that's pertinent to our understanding of the USA.
Wouldn't it suck to be Memphis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chalupas54 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 am
Wouldn't it suck to be Memphis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe? But I'd sooner go to Memphis than most of its "peer" cities. Not to knock any of them in particular, mind. But . . . Memphis is not uncool.

You trying to take some heat off the Good Job KC thread? ;-)

The Nashville pictures are really quite cool. Love the library!
Regarding library visible in first above fisheye picture (the one with the pedimented baths of Caracalla right behind the courtyard):

. . . Holy crap, that thing's new! That's . . . maybe the best piece of neo-neo-classicism I've seen in, well, maybe ever. I suppose if I saw it in person I might feel differently, but it doesn't look like a cheap knock-off of a historic structure. I rather thought, like Kansas City's, it was an adaptation of a historic building. It is not. All new as of 2001.

My emotions are slightly mixed, since the building it replaced is also quite lovely. (And modernist.) But if you're going to neo a neo-paleo that's how you do it: sincerely, carefully, and with good materials. I guess I don't have too much room to talk, really, what with the music I've written.
Good for Nashville but I must admit I HATE having to go to Nashville for work conferences. If I have to go to one more country western event.....
So, their AT&T building is still filled, huh?
[quote=bwcrow1s post_id=285860 time=1502460644 user_id=9794]
So, their AT&T building is still filled, huh?
[/quote]

Yes, but we still have 2 buildings filled and by the looks of things St. Louis likely still has more AT&T office space downtown than Nashville and more than 2x as many state wide.
^ Sometimes we fail to appreciate what we have

suck it, Nashville
^Really would be cool if we could spin that sucker around to have it face the mall.
^ ooh, that would be sweet! I wonder what was there across from the Chestnut side before being cleared for the mall. I also assume an additional building existed across on Pine where the motor entrance for the Magestic is.
STLrainbow wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:34 pm
^ ooh, that would be sweet! I wonder what was there across from the Chestnut side before being cleared for the mall. I also assume an additional building existed across on Pine where the motor entrance for the Magestic is.
http://cb14.raimistdesign.com/wp-conten ... x300px.jpg

One of my To-Do items on my list of hypothetical design projects is to come up with something for the back of that building. Something contemporary yet monumental enough for the Gateway Mall.
Here's a vintage rendering by St. Louis' own Hugh Ferriss; still the greatest architectural illustrator of all time:

http://kemperartmuseum.wustl.edu/collec ... rtwork/554
framer wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 pm
Here's a vintage rendering by St. Louis' own Hugh Ferriss; still the greatest architectural illustrator of all time:
(Sorry for yet another off topic post but...) How did I not know Hugh Ferriss was from St. Louis??? For those of you not familiar, the above claim is 100% grounded. He was known to take such liberty with his renderings that developers would ask architects to go back and modify their plans to match Ferriss' rendering.